Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Soon to be PS2U, Planetside 2 Universe
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-05-27, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Re: Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
No games take advantage of the HT is why the 3570K is always neck to neck with the 3770K. You don't even notice a performance increase going to the 6 core HT 3930K from the additional cores/cache.

GTX 670 is still a better investment in my opinion over the 7870. Still no word on price drops for that card either. Like I said the $100 from the 3770K is better spent on the video card.

Cache isn't everything on a drive and SATA III does nothing for HDDs due to not even coming close to the limits of Sata II. The drive has better read and write verse that western digital. The F3 was the fatest drive last year up until the Hitachi released one that beat it. You say you don't need the extra storage now, but you never know. Considering how much you are spending now on this computer I see no reason to cheap out on the HDD.
Couldn't find any numbers/data on the hard drive read/write speeds to compare them...but I did swap for the 670 and back to the i5 core.

Micro-ATX build:
SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E - $97.99
Western Digital WD5002AALX 500GB - $99.99
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive - $18.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 - $46.99
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz - $239.99
GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 - $114.99
Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2 gb - $399.99
SeaSonic M12II 620W or the PCPCS - $89.99

Total : $1108.92

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-05-27 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by PeteHMB View Post
New mobo/cpu combo looks good. Case-wise...still undecided. It's a toss-up between the one you posted, and this one.
this is the case i have,comes with lots and lots of air flow
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811235027
Old 2012-05-27, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

Couldn't find any numbers/data on the hard drive read/write speeds to compare them...but I did swap for the 670 and back to the i5 core.

Micro-ATX build:
SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E - $97.99
Western Digital WD5002AALX 500GB - $99.99
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive - $18.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1333 - $41.99
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz - $239.99
GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 - $114.99
Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2 gb - $399.99
SeaSonic M12II 620W or the PCPCS - $89.99

Total : $1103.92
your bottlenecking the ram,at least get 1600
Old 2012-05-27, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

There is no bottlenecking of ram within games. Unless you can get the higher speeds for the same price as the 1333MHz no reason to go higher.
Old 2012-05-27, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

i beg to differ,especially with a game this size,that will deal with a lot of page filing,with iRacing,that i play you need fast ram,or you deal with a lot of page faults,that cause a lot of micro stuttering,and when start adding players,vechs,tracers and explosions,your going to be taxing the ram
Old 2012-05-27, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Roidster View Post
this is the case i have,comes with lots and lots of air flow
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811235027
Thanks, but wrong form factor. I want to keep this build as small as possible, either Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX.

There is no bottlenecking of ram within games. Unless you can get the higher speeds for the same price as the 1333MHz no reason to go higher.
Keeping an eye out, but haven't seen any smoking deals yet. Closest pricing was this G.Skill for $5 more, which isn't bad really. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-05-27 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Take a look here. There is no benefit to buying high speed ram for gaming.

What you are saying maybe true to some extent, but having DDR3 3000Mhz isn't going to double your FPS verse 1333MHz for example. Games are either GPU or CPU bound. I never heard of a RAM bound game.

@ Pete. $4 isn't bad. When DDR3 came out there used to be a major difference in how much it cost to even go from 1333MHz -> 1600MHz. The gap isn't nearly as much now due to higher speed ram coming out. I still have to correct people wanting to get 2133Mhz or something along those lines that costs nearly twice as much verse a 1333Mhz kit. I just hate people wasting money on computer hardware that won't add much to their experience.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-05-27 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Take a look here. There is no benefit to buying high speed ram for gaming.

What you are saying maybe true to some extent, but having DDR3 3000Mhz isn't going to double your FPS verse 1333MHz for example. Games are either GPU or CPU bound. I never heard of a RAM bound game.

@ Pete. $4 isn't bad. When DDR3 came out there used to be a major difference in how much it cost to even go from 1333MHz -> 1600MHz. The gap isn't nearly as much now due to higher speed ram coming out. I still have to correct people wanting to get 2133Mhz or something along those lines that costs nearly twice as much verse a 1333Mhz kit. I just hate people wasting money on computer hardware that won't add much to their experience.
Nice link, thanks. I went ahead and swapped the ram to the 1600 for shits and giggles...I mean, on the whole of things, when you're spending $1100...what's another $5? I looked at 16gb kits of 8gb x2, but I think that's more than I need right now. Maybe as a future upgrade in a year or so. My brother actually just built a rig too, but since he hadn't put anything together yet I convinced him to swap cases down to the Temjin J08 he's gonna be my guinea pig for that case. Should get to his place on Wednesday. As it turns out, he'd ordered a micro-atx board without realizing it (it just happened to have all the shit he wanted and was recommended as a good board from a friend of his) so it wasn't a big deal for me to convince him. He lives in a tiny house with 2 roommates so space is at a premium. He went with a smaller video card though, the 6850. It's like, 8" long and he was worried about it fitting in the case. I'm more worried about the width interfering with the memory/CPU cooler and heating issues than length. We'll see though.
Old 2012-05-27, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You can easily fit a 6850 or longer video cards in there. Just make sure he has a modular PSU. Otherwise it will make a mess of his case if he has a bunch of extra cables he cannot get out of the way.

I don't think he will have any issues with the ram/HS. I have a Venomous X in the TJ-08 up until last week when I swapped my parts into my bigger case. The TJ-08 can easily accommodate huge tower HS. Although if you can I recommend getting a H60/H80 or even an Antec 620/920 due to how much extra space it gives in that case.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

Thanks, but wrong form factor. I want to keep this build as small as possible, either Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX.
its no taller then a HP/old school case,just a bit wider,and i have a mATX board in the same case,and i still have troubles getting my fingers into area's to connect fans
Old 2012-05-30, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Vancha
Colonel

its no taller then a HP/old school case,just a bit wider,and i have a mATX board in the same case,and i still have troubles getting my fingers into area's to connect fans
Zalman: 19.84" x 8.15" x 18.27"
Temjin: 15.16" x 8.27" x 14.72"
Old 2012-06-01, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Zalman: 19.84" x 8.15" x 18.27"
Temjin: 15.16" x 8.27" x 14.72"
Sugo SG08: 8.74" x 7.48" x 13.82"

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-06-01 at 01:33 AM.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

i understand wanting to have a small form factor,taking less space on the desk,but if you have big hands or chubby fingers,its hard to work inside the case when building it
Old 2012-06-01, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
PeteHMB
Sergeant

i understand wanting to have a small form factor,taking less space on the desk,but if you have big hands or chubby fingers,its hard to work inside the case when building it
Nice, you have one? Let's see some pics!

Dexterity my friend...that and being used to contorting my hands to work on things. Try taking the starter off of the engine from a piece of field artillery when it's -15 degrees out and you can't wear gloves because the bolts are in tight spots that are difficult to reach.

Also, way ahead of you on that. There's a couple youtube videos specifically for builds utilizing this case, along with the case itself coming with a manual helping you out on build order. In short - assemble the motherboard before you put it in the case so that the only thing you have to screw down is the mobo and video card.

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-06-01 at 01:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Welp. Parts are on the way.

Silverstone SG08 for the case
EVGA GTX670 for the vid card
Crucial 128gb SSD hard drive
Samsung memory (don't remember model, but on overclock.net lots of people recommended it and said the G.Skill didn't OC for shit.)

i5 3570k and ASRock Z77E-ITX have yet to be ordered. Found a smokin' deal on the 3570k but it's in store pickup only so my friend's going to look at it and ship it to me. $189.99 vs $239.99 on Amazon/Newegg.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum