Buying a new PC [NL] - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: They have the Internet on computers now?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-07-15, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Buying a new PC [NL]

As always, I'd change the 670 to the ASUS or Gigabyte version for less noise.

Edit: Actually, I think I'd go with the P8Z77-M over the Z77A-G43. Either the G43's overpriced or that's a good deal for the P8Z77-M...

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-07-15 at 09:47 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by MasterCalaelen View Post
At the moment not too much, but that's partially because video editing is pure torture on my current setup. So the i7 is only better than the i5 in terms of video editing, and possibly a few specific Photoshop actions?

Would I need to OC the i5 2500K in order to get equal performance to the i7, or would it be similar by default? Is an OC i5 2500K better, or equal as the i7 3770 for gaming?

Haven't really looked into it, but I can't think of any programs I have on my computer that would not run in W7. The only reason I brought it up was because it was the only thing Pro had over Home that could possibly be of any use to me.
Yes and yes. i5 and i7 are identical for gaming. Overclocking gives a performance boost in only certain games, however it can potentially expand the life time of your build. If you don't think you will benefit from the HT on the i7 I would go for the 3570K (K means it can overclock) if you are interested in doing this. Otherwise the 3450 will suffice if you have no plans for HT or overclocking.

Sounds like Home Premium is for you.

If you are concerned about wattage look into this. I think you can order from there. Everything else looks good if you want to keep with that 3770 and ram.

@ Vancha that P8Z77-M is a mATX board. No reason to be getting that if he doesn't need it IMO.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-07-15 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Vancha
Colonel

Should it be the other way around? An mATX is just as good unless you need an ATX for some reason in particular.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

No I don't think so. If you have room for an ATX that totally trumps mATX imo. I only recommend mATX if the user is on budget and needs bare minimum or wants a small form factor case.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Vancha
Colonel

How so? The only thing the G43 has on the P8 is an extra space between the PCI-E X16 slots, but he won't be doing SLi with that PSU anyway. The P8 has more phases, better voltage control and a better UEFI, considering his CPU*, he's not losing anything at worst, and gaining otherwise.

*I just noticed you don't have the 3770k, Cal. You're spending 280 Euros on the top of the top of the range CPU, you might as well spend another 30 to be able to make it better.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-07-15 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

When I did this he didn't sound too interested in overclocking, so all that is pretty moot. He can change his mind of course. If he does another board he maybe better off with.
Old 2012-07-16, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
As always, I'd change the 670 to the ASUS or Gigabyte version for less noise.
The ASUS is € 40,- and the Gigabyte is € 20,- more than the GeForce, so unless they have other benefits over the GeForce, or the GeForce makes a complete racket in comparison I'll probably save the cash.

On another note, I'm going to sit down and re-look at the whole CPU deal again to see what would best suit me. With the 3770 only being better than cheaper CPU's when it comes to video editing, it might not be worth it.

@Vancha, from what I read/hard I though the 3770K wasn't a very good card for OCing due to temperature issues?

Last edited by MasterCalaelen; 2012-07-16 at 05:50 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Vancha
Colonel

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforc...-32475-14.html

That's at full load though. Most of the time they won't be quite that loud. I'm pretty sure the ASUS was the same price as the Gigabyte when I checked, but never mind.

The 3770k is fine for overclocking, you just can't push it as far as say, the 2700k. You probably won't get more than an extra 5-10% out of it with the stock cooler though.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforc...-32475-14.html

That's at full load though. Most of the time they won't be quite that loud. I'm pretty sure the ASUS was the same price as the Gigabyte when I checked, but never mind.

The 3770k is fine for overclocking, you just can't push it as far as say, the 2700k. You probably won't get more than an extra 5-10% out of it with the stock cooler though.
GeForce: €372,90
Gigabyte: €399.00
ASUS: €413,00

Maybe you checked the prices on a different website, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong versions?

While the noise difference is definitely noticeable, I really don't find it annoying enough to spend extra money on it, especially since that's at full load and out in the open.

I'd probably just grab an extra/better cooler if I ended up getting an OC CPU, as I assume the stock cooler wouldn't be enough for an OC 2500K/3570K either?
Old 2012-07-16, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Vancha
Colonel

GPU: No, either I remembered wrong or they put the price up. That site has some incredibly odd pricing here and there...

CPU: Again, you'd be able to bump them up a little bit, but you'd probably hit a wall quite quickly. How often do you do video work, per week?
Old 2012-07-16, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Like Vancha said its up to you whether or not you can take up what is offered by HT. I don't really recommend overclocking on stock coolers due to how much the heat goes up from the increased GHz/voltage either. You can get a cheap, but good cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+/EVO that you can get good clocks with.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

CPU: Again, you'd be able to bump them up a little bit, but you'd probably hit a wall quite quickly. How often do you do video work, per week?
Barely any at the moment since doing video editing on my current setup is a complete chore. I'd probably end up doing some video editing 2-5 times a month, which in all honestly probably isn't worth the extra € 100 euro that the 3770 would cost I'd reckon.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Are yo interested in overclocking then? If so just get the 3570K in my opinion otherwise a 3450 will suffice.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Are yo interested in overclocking then? If so just get the 3570K in my opinion otherwise a 3450 will suffice.
I was a little hesistant about that at first as I've never done it before and thought it would be difficult and dangerous, but I've heard it's really not that hard anymore, so I'd be interested in giving it a go. At the least grab a CPU with the capability of doing so, so the 3570K.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Vancha
Colonel

Aye, I'd go with the 3570k then (*cough*andtheasusmotherboardimentionedearlier*cou gh*).
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum