We shall fight in the dark. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NC Forever!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
We shall fight in the dark.

From reddit QnA with Higby:

Q: Will there be meaningful Day/Night Cycles?
Matt: the engine supports day/night cycle really, really well. We definitely want to take advantage of that.

Okay, day and night, cool.

YOu guys remember that one haloween event where the devs just changed the general lightning to quite a bit darker? You remember how awesome it was to fight in that light?

And i want even more!

So, here are some ideas:

1. The moon(s?) of auraxis need to be important as well. Without the earths moon, our nights would be much much darker, because the only natural light source would be stars far far away.
If you have ever enjoyed a cloud and moon free night out in the open, you know what im talking about. You can literally see billions of stars, but barley what is 10 feet away from you.
Now, that needs to be in PS2 as well. Let the moons have differen phases, cominbed with different light. No moon? no light, just that of those vehicles and bases. Big, if not several, moons? a quite white light shining everywhere.

2. Light sources. Now, nights are dark, and a tactical decision of every single armed forces in the world is to keep lights out during the night if you are close to the enemy. That means, vehicles, soilders, everything needs to have light sources that can be turned out. Imagine this Magrider collum, driving down the road during the night, just to get close the the enemy base. They turn out their lights, and suddenly the only reason why you know they are coming is the sound of their engines. You search for them, but you just know the general direction. Suddenly, they open fire, and you see this big purple flashes in the field, lighting up everything close to them, and suddenly, in the dark, a firefight starts, and the dark night is not so dark anymore.

3. Remember those history lessons of World war 2, and all those videos. Remember those videos where flak gunners used these giant lamps to light up enemy planes, allowing the flak to actually see them? I WANT THAT!

Any other ideas? :>
Old 2011-07-10, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: We shall fight in the dark.

Originally Posted by basti View Post

Any other ideas? :>
This under voice menu:

We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-10, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
bennybikerboy
Corporal

Dude, so stoked for night time.

I'm write with you with the whole "Turn off your lights, lads!" shit.
Honestly. I think it'd be the coolest thing to have night battles and see all the tracers and shit flying around.

I want it so bad and now we're getting it. I hope we can turn off lights and stuff on the base to and other stuff.

I also wonder if there'll be base security cameras or base security even?
Old 2011-07-10, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by bennybikerboy View Post
Dude, so stoked for night time.

I'm write with you with the whole "Turn off your lights, lads!" shit.
Honestly. I think it'd be the coolest thing to have night battles and see all the tracers and shit flying around.
oh my god do want
Old 2011-07-10, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Volw
First Sergeant

I honestly don't think we'll get proper pitch black nights tho. More like earth full moon in terms of 'brightness'.

They'd need to implement some sort of nightvision but also having multiple 'working' lights would be a huge fps drain.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-10, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
bennybikerboy
Corporal

I spelled right wrong!

"I'm write with you"
Old 2011-07-10, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DxC
Sergeant

They mostly come at night Mostly... now try sniping in the dark anyone whos daft enough to fire a gun in the dark will be met with another load of shots at them

ud have to shoot then run away very quickly!
Old 2011-07-10, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Darkness rules
Old 2011-07-10, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Flash-lights anyone? How about night-vision goggles? Hrmm, maybe even, if you disable the gen, parts of the base go completely dark for a moment until the emergency lighting comes up.
Old 2011-07-10, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sifer2
Major

I'm all for it so long as they make sure you can't just turn up the Gamma an be sniper of the century.
Old 2011-07-10, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gwartham
Corporal

Sam Fisher goggles FTW!
Old 2011-07-10, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I'm all for it so long as they make sure you can't just turn up the Gamma an be sniper of the century.

gah, beat me to it.
Old 2011-07-10, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Hackers will hack no matter what. If it's not one, it's another.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Coyote
Private

I hope that during these night hours I can Future-Electrical tape my rifle with a flashlight. And a green laser. That would be awesome.

I can see how this could be not-awesome, though. In a base, at night, which has had it's gen blown. So you're inside, in the pitch dark. Granted it would be awesome the first 5 times. But having it on a daily basis would suck
Old 2011-07-10, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Early PlanetSide had more of a day night cycle and for some reason it was removed. One of my funnest fights ever in PlanetSide was in Beta when the cycle was still in. Fighting in the dark was an awesome experience I am happy to see we can have that back in PS2.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion