The Ultimate Medic Information Thread - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Find the error in this sentence.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-09, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Magpie
Sergeant Major

The Ultimate Medic Information Thread

Information on the medic class, feel free to add or comment on this Class! Enjoy

Interviews

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS&CONCERNS
There appear to be restrictions such as a deeply specialized medic will not be able to access heavy assault weapons, and classes with jetpacks will not have access to heavier armor or weapons.

PSU Higby Lunch Interview (9/15):
• In-game rez, medics healing ray increased by progressing down class, no stimpack thing, mostly about healing and resurrecting
• Jet-troops will not be medics / engineers, agility but can get cut off

Twitter Dev Chat 9/16:
Question: Can infiltrators be medics at the same time?
TRay: Stealth and medic are two different classes
Hack: not necessarily, but we are looking at ways you can support your squad (THIS ANSWER MIGHT NOT BELONG WITH THIS QUESTION)

Question: So no heal guns for cloakers?
TRay: medics heal, cloakers hide

Question: Medical terminals?
Higby: No plans for medical terminals at the moment

Question: Is Commander or Squad leader going to be a role as such? Or are you command certs going to carry over if you play a medic?
Higby: You can be a squad leader as any class, you get some awesome passive perks and coordination tools.

Community Q&A With Higby
MgFalcon: Can you talk more about what healing abilities combat medics will have?

Higby: They'll have several, they have an ability that’s basically a shield they can put up in a radius and depending on the level of the skill it’s a larger or smaller radius that heals friendly units within in it, but also blocks incoming fire up to a certain amount of damage. So that's a passive healing thing they have so if you're about to get screwed over you can pop that thing really quick for some safety. They also have just an active heal; basically a glue gun same situation. They also have a healing grenade and we've talked about giving them a rez grenade but I'm not sure that's 100% going yet but I like that idea, throwing a grenade and everybody zombies back to life over there. Higby- There would definitely be a time on that, some of those more ability-type things have timers on them for sure.

Medic Rez Tool

Medic Armour

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-04-09 at 07:35 PM.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: The Ultimate Medic Information Thread

Rez grenades? Healing grenades I coughed at but decided to say nothing...but rez grenades?
Old 2012-04-09, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

I'm OK with not having HA weaponry. My #1 priority is to keep my squad mates up and healed. If I'm firing a gun one of two things have happened;
1. I've been put in charge by my sergeant to keep this area clear of enemy
2. my entire squad is dead and I'm left defending waiting for backup and I'm all out of healing nanites

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2012-04-09, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

OOhhh...

This thread almost fell off the front page.

Guess medics aren't as popular as Engineers.
Old 2012-04-09, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

Ooh, I just remembered. Did PS1 have revives?

And more in the here and now, I hope there aren't unlimited revives like BF has.
Old 2012-04-09, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Ooh, I just remembered. Did PS1 have revives?

And more in the here and now, I hope there aren't unlimited revives like BF has.
Yes PS1 had revives, its was only available to advanced medics, it required a 5-10(i forget the exact time) second channel on a corpse from close range while not moving. in doing so in consumed 25heal..juice? a full canister held 100 and tookup a 2x3 backpack slot and the medap itself came with 100 in the gun.

for reference a rexo backback had 12x9 squares. here's a picture of a backback as i *** out bomber placement. the medup is the white one, while im carrying no med juice, they're the same size as the blue repair canisters in my backpack.

but the relevance this has to PS2? none at all im afraid. though i know that Higby mocked BF3's instant res so perhaps we wont see anything like that.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-04-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

I linked both of these in the information thread if you do them for the other classes I'll link those too.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

I hope they get a med terminal/aura heal thing. Don't care if its like BF, its a great mechanic imo.

Also hope an upgrade to the med app lets you shoot a heal over time into the target player, rather than watching the bar.

I am also curious, since they've said MAXs will be healed entirely by engineers, if medics will be able to rez them. Could be a good balance on MAXs, to not be rezzable.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
PSU Higby Lunch Interview (9/15):
• In-game rez, medics healing ray increased by progressing down class, no stimpack thing, mostly about healing and resurrecting
(Which i think should be called the Trauma Ray (T-Ray))

So if medics get something that directly effects the power of the healing ray what do other classes get, or is it another case of sidegrades for the gun. Slower heal, more ammo?

Or is it skills that heal more? IM CONFUSED!!

I was hoping for some passive skills for our characters to differentiate them, like battlefields supression enhancing, or sprint enhancing. But i guess theres a whole world of mods/impants and resources there. HURRY UP AND GIVE ME THE FRIGGING GAME SO I CAN STOP SOBBING IN MY MOTHERS BOSSOM FROM LACK OF DETAILS!!
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I hope they get a med terminal/aura heal thing. Don't care if its like BF, its a great mechanic imo.

Also hope an upgrade to the med app lets you shoot a heal over time into the target player, rather than watching the bar.

I am also curious, since they've said MAXs will be healed entirely by engineers, if medics will be able to rez them. Could be a good balance on MAXs, to not be rezzable.
Global Agenda had the engineers able to deploy an AOE heal pulse thingy. I liked it a lot, it was really handy for out of combat health top ups and was a bit handy for helping the tank during combat. It could never replace the dedicated medic though.

I think it'd be a great addition to PS2 so long as it was used more as an "out of combat" type thing and not a choke point auto-win healbot. for example, it heals 25 health every 5 seconds for 30 seconds. So it could completely heal any unit from 1% health (even after any health buffs or overhealth bonuses from bio labs or whatever they might bring in) It wouldn't ever be used as a tanking tool though because the TTK is less than the 5 second pulse.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I'm still hoping that a situation where a medic will be most valuable standing behind a single rexo with his med gun out during a firefight will be extremely rare (if not non-existant).

I liked the mechanic of med gun use being for between battle top ups and rezzing.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-09, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I'm still hoping that a situation where a medic will be most valuable standing behind a single rexo with his med gun out during a firefight will be extremely rare (if not non-existant).

I liked the mechanic of med gun use being for between battle top ups and rezzing.
If i see medics with beams jammed up HA's asses TF2/global agenda / firefall style, im going to instantly quit(following) the game.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-12, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tertiary
Private

A cry for temperance:

Please do not cry for nerfs on the class with the least love before the game is even released. Some of us actually want to play medics, it'd be nice if they were playable.

My Concerns:
  • How will medics stand out to their allies so that the allies will know to wait for Rez rather than insta-respawn?
  • Is the combat medic going to be a true support class, or will the play-style be 'shoot-shoot-heal'?
  • Will combat medics (and engineers for that matter) have vehicles designed for their playstyle (ie. AMS)? What about base objectives geared towards their strengths?
  • With base fights/coridoor fights dynamic being changed, how will the medic dynamic change? PS1 vets know that trying to rez outdoors is inviting sniper retaliation.
  • We've seen some play-tests, and the servers are fairly sparse... have any densley populated play-tests been run? If so, how large a role are medics currently playing? If not, have medics been useful in small battles?
  • Will there be any command or tertiary support certifications specific to combat medics?
  • I loved playing support in PS1! All my certs were support (Engineering, Medical, Hacking, AMS, and Trans Vehicles). Quite frankly, what motivation do I have to bother with medics in PS2? So far, they seem like run-and-gunners with crappy extras compared to the other classes.
  • Can we please see some dev love for combat medic class? The information currently available is pitiful, unless I'm missing some... but, I've been looking everywhere.

'Your' Concerns:
  • In PS1, you could have combat medic healing and engineer repairing and still bust the coridoor. It just required you to stop zerging for a second and plan ahead a little bit. PS1 had about three ways to enter a base and one objective point; PS2 has multiple objective points, huge bases, and undoubtedly more entry points. If you get slogged up by a healer/tank combo, maybe PvP isn't really for you. Find a different route/tactic/something, stop zerging buffalo-bill.
  • EDIT: ^ This tactic works better with Engineer + MAX anyways.
  • The rez timer should not be a problem; after the game settles down and folks get used to the tactics, they'll figure out when and where they can expect a rez (based on where the rez timer won't get your combat-med ganked). I rarely had trouble with the rez timer in PS1, and usually that was desperately trying to rez in an open field (never a good idea with snipers everywhere).
  • Yeah... rez grenades just seem wierd. I know the conceptualization is that nanites are reconstructing the troop, so from that perspective it makes sense... but, still wierd. I am not pro-rez-grenade.

Last edited by Tertiary; 2012-06-12 at 02:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Meriv
First Sergeant

It will be shoot-shoot-heal
I remember reading that the medic get both carabine and rifle while enginier gets only carabine like LA.
The video of the resurection taked him like 2 second (but still prebeta remember)

(i am going for the Medic) I hope they change idea about the grenade, idk if there is a body cd, but if not it would be easy to die like lemmings inside hacking center with a medic that trows a grenade adn revive a decine of teamates instantly to take the outpost.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tertiary
Private

When you put it like that ("Medic revives a whole squad with grenade after enemy has downed/infiltrated")... that actually sounds awesome. As long as it is on a long-timer, cuz you know all it does is give you a second chance... with everyone in that close quarters it'd be an outstanding and incredibly frentic battle! And, the squad that died once could still die a second time, so no real inbalance.

Regarding shoot-shoot-heal: Ugh, what makes the medic stand apart from the other classes, then??? What's 'cool' about playing a medic??? And, don't tell me they get to heal: The engineer gets to 'heal' too, and they still have plenty of other treats to make the class more interesting than a stupid run-and-gun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion