PSU: The only place where a Mosquito can destroy an entire Galaxy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-03-14, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
BurningSpear
Corporal

Comp is possessed

For some reason, my computer has been falling apart the last week or so. I can no longer play 3D games like Tribes 2 (AAAARRRRRGGGGHHH) and a whole hell of a lot of webpages seem to make my computer freeze up. Every time I try to load a picture on a webpage, my comp freezes and I have to unplug it to restart it! I don't know if you all can help me fix it, or decide what I need to replace, but its buggin the bejeezus out of me!

Specs:
AMD 1.0 ghz
ASUS A7M266
256MB DDR PC2100
Radeon 9000Pro 64mb
Catalyst 3.1 driver
Win98SE
Directx 8.1b
SBLive! 5.1 MP3+
Old 2003-03-14, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Tried formatting and installing windows again or a newer windows?
Old 2003-03-14, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CXF
Private

Zatrais may be right.

Win98 gets slower and buggier over time. You can avoid this by maintaining your system and keeping an eye on what get's installed. Keep it running clean with minimal startup crap and unnecessary programs and it will last longer, but sooner or later the registry gets cluttered with remnant crap fom incomplete uninstalls, or the dll files get replaced with buggy versions, and things get flaky.

You can hunt down and fix those problems, but a reinstall is sometimes the fastest and best way to get your system in order.
Old 2003-03-14, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SpaceDrake
Master Sergeant

Get rid of Win98SE and get WinXP. That'll fix a lot of things.

Out of curiosity, though, it this machine a Compaq/Hewlitt Packard?
Old 2003-03-15, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BurningSpear
Corporal

Yeah, more background on this system might help:

It started out 2 years ago as a CompUSA Home Series 600mhz. Then, a little over a year ago, I took out the hard drive and dvd drive and placed it in the computer i built, which is the one you see above now.

So, the problem with reinstalling, (which I've done about ten times in the past week, trying to fix this problem) is that it is a system restoration disk, not a full version OS CD.

I am afraid that if I reformat the C drive manually, the system restoration disk won't work. Is that true?

With my next paycheck or two, I have about $200-250 to use on the computer. This means I either get a new hard drive and XP Home Full, or a new mobo and cpu. Which is recommended for now, just so i can stabilize my computer?
Old 2003-03-15, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Theres your problem right there, you can't use a system restore disc or a windows from a previous system in a new one at all. Windows configures itself from the hardware in the system when its installed and restore discs assume you have the system you bought whit the disc not annything else.

You won't get a stable system til you format and get a new copy if windows thats NOT bundeled whit anny prebuilt systems or on a restore disc.

Basicly, format and install a clean windows.
Old 2003-03-15, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BurningSpear
Corporal

i assumed as much, so i think i'm gonna spend my $200 on a WD 80gb(or 120) 7200rpm with 8mb cache and get the XP Home Full version CD for $83 with it. (y'know, the one you can only get if you order hardware with it)

Edit: I need to get full version, right? so that i can reformat and then load up the OS? cuz upgrade will keep a lot of crap from my old version, right?

Last edited by BurningSpear; 2003-03-15 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2003-03-16, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Look for OEM XP. If you get any other version, it'll either be an upgrade version or one that comes in the big blue/green box that you'll eventually throw away anyway. All OEM's come withthe license and sticker that you'd place on your PC to keep it 'legal'.

Yeah, the 80GB WD is a nice drive, and they're really cheap too. May have to look into getting one. Only have 40GB with an 8.4GB backup.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread

Last edited by Sentrosi; 2003-03-16 at 12:55 AM.
Old 2003-03-22, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
verser
Private

if those dont work, call the computer company tech support
Old 2003-03-22, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BurningSpear
Corporal

yeah, verser, that ain't gonna happen. read my second post and you'll know why. I'm pretty sure my warranty is void since the only things from the old computer are the hard drive and the dvd-rom.
Old 2003-03-23, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
DarkDragon00
Sergeant Major

Terran Elite Airborne Regiment

Just burn the whole piece of shit and dump it in a river!
That wont help with the comp problem, but u'll fell a hell-of-alot better than u did before!

But thats how i see things!

-Dark- CO [TEAR]

[TEAR] Info

The only true thug left, i merc ni**as cuz they all seem like skirts, while i flirt, with danger ur at home, living comfortably, in the beggining couldnt afford a computer, but now im living like im a millionair, buyin' things, that u only have in ur dreams, maybe its cuz i made it out alive, im outy alright, and this is for u, the real PSU, i still love u, but what happened, u guys got a bunch of asses, in ur ranks, now ur forums are full of Sh*t

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum