BAD IMAGE - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside, the only place where Rocklet isn't a typo.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-12-28, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tacoriffic
Private

BAD IMAGE

When I install Planet Side 2 it installes fine but when i click to play i get a msgs saying my C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_43.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Now i have Windows 7 and i believe i have DirectX 11. But Planet Side 2 is a DirectX 9 game, does it matter if mine is 11 and not 9. If it does then how do i "downgrade" from 11 to 9.

Or if thats not the Case what other solutions could I try.
Old 2012-12-30, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
siiix
Private

Re: BAD IMAGE

it should not be an issue if you have dx11 or dx10

so the problem must be different

maybe download the latest driver and do a CLEAN install ..its usually an option at least with nvidia
Old 2012-12-31, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Try running this DX9 updater. I think that will solve the issue.
Old 2012-12-31, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tacoriffic
Private

Well how do i get this DirectX updater cuz when i try to download and install DX9 because i know its a dx9 problem and when I try to install it it says it can and I already have same or newer version of it installed on my pc.
Old 2013-01-09, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tacoriffic
Private

Does anyone know how to update or re-install directX 9 without the error popping up saying i already have it installed or there is a better version already on
Old 2013-01-10, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I believe PS2 checks your DX files' compatibility during the install process, in a separate installation dialog that pops up. If you cancelled it during installation (which might still let the actual game files install anyway), that may cause this problem.

I'm assuming you've already tried using the little wrench icon on the launcher, so any steps you take from here depend on whether you're using the Sony Station stand-alone client or the Steam Client. If the latter, re-install steam. If the former, you could try re-installing the whole game. Another option is to simply Google the "correct" d3dx9_43.dll and replace your faulty one. You can't really downgrade from DX11 to DX9 under windows 7 - windows kind of needs 11 on its own. But the render packages maintained backwards compatibility, so obviously something's screwed up with your DX system files, that's all - fix DX11, and you'll fix DX9, too.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-01-10, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tacoriffic
Private

Yes one time during installation I left my computer unattended and it went to sleep which made the computer lose connection to the internet and then had to restart the whole installation. But yes I have already tried the wrench icon and validating my file. When that didnt work i went to my old PC that PS2 worked on and took the d3dx9_43.dll from that pc and tried to put it on my new pc. It still did not work but probobly cuz my other pc is windows vista. And iv tried reinstalling it, i installed it once, it didnt work so i uninstalled it, i tried it through steam, it didnt even start up so i uninstalled it, and then i installed it again from the actully Launch Pad file, but still didnt work.
But I know two options that might work but i want to know if i shouldn't try these at all before i do it:1. This link i found for a d3dx9_43.dll fixer
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?d3dx9_432. Go into my system32 files and remove/move all the dx9 files to a back up area or flashdrive and then try installing directX 9 again.
Plz tell me if any of these ideas is good
Old 2013-01-10, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I don't recommend moving large swathes of system .dlls. Even if you back them up, you run the chance of putting your system in a state where you can't even boot and therefore can't copy the stuff back.

Here's another idea: you've probably done all of these changes quite recently. Go to windows restore, and restore your system to the point right before you attempted installing PS2 for the first time - in fact, there should be an automatic restoration point right before you opened the PS2 installer. Then try installing again, but this time make sure your computer doesn't fall asleep.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-01-27, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tacoriffic
Private

Ok I will try that but I also resently installed medevil total war 2 and dawn of war before I read ur reply. And they require directX 9 and they worked fine. Then I Tryed playing planetside 2 again. I didn't get the directX error and splash came up and the loading page came. Then It said closed out with an error saying "a problem has cause this program to close". Idk if this would help find a problem. But my op is a bios op and when I first got it. I tried to run black ops 2 and it emidiatly gave me a blue screen on start up of the game. I fixed that problem by updating my bios. So idk if that did something.
Old 2013-01-27, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Tacoriffic View Post
Ok I will try that but I also resently installed medevil total war 2 and dawn of war before I read ur reply. And they require directX 9 and they worked fine. Then I Tryed playing planetside 2 again. I didn't get the directX error and splash came up and the loading page came. Then It said closed out with an error saying "a problem has cause this program to close". Idk if this would help find a problem. But my op is a bios op and when I first got it. I tried to run black ops 2 and it emidiatly gave me a blue screen on start up of the game. I fixed that problem by updating my bios. So idk if that did something.
Given that this time PS2 crashed because of some kind of a different error, I'd say you could try re-installing it again (without rolling your system back) and seeing if it works.

Any blue screens that are fixed by a bios update are unlikely to be related to DX9 dll file mismatches. Blue screens are usually results of hardware faults and BIOS updates address only hardware faults. If your DX9 issue is somehow a result of a hardware fault, no amount of software tinkering will fix it. Without any additional details about your blue screens, I can't really guess much further.

P.S. Rolling back windows will not affect your BIOS update, so that still is an option, too.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-01-28, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tacoriffic
Private

Ok well i want to avoid rolling back/ or restoring to before i installed planet side 2 because i installed a lot of programs after installed planetside 2. I did re-install it by fully deleting the game from my computer and re-downloading and installing. after a god couple hours of installing i click play and the same error comes up. But when it says windows will no go and search for a reason why it closed, nothign comes up but when i go in to see what the problem is it says "planetside 2 is incompatible" here is my system specs: it is an iBUYPOWER computer, with AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.60 GHz, 8 gb of ram, 64 bit OP,
Old 2013-01-28, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tacoriffic
Private

also video card is : AMD Radeon HD 6670
Old 2013-01-29, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Ok well i want to avoid rolling back/ or restoring to before i installed planet side 2 because i installed a lot of programs after installed planetside 2. I did re-install it by fully deleting the game from my computer and re-downloading and installing. after a god couple hours of installing i click play and the same error comes up. But when it says windows will no go and search for a reason why it closed, nothign comes up but when i go in to see what the problem is it says "planetside 2 is incompatible" here is my system specs: it is an iBUYPOWER computer, with AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.60 GHz, 8 gb of ram, 64 bit OP,
also video card is : AMD Radeon HD 6670
Uninstalling =/= deleting the installation folder. I don't think there's really any permanent way of fixing this other than rolling back your Windows installation.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-02-03, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tacoriffic
Private

what will restoring my system do
Old 2013-02-04, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ailos
Contributor
Major

what will restoring my system do
It will restore your program and systems files to the checkpoint state. If you've installed programs after the checkpoint you're restoring to, you'll have to re-install those again. Anything outside your C:\Windows, C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) will be left untouched. In most cases, a restore operation is also reversible, so if for some reason you want to go back to the recent broken state, you will likely be able to do that, too, through the same mechanism.

IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum