PlanetSide Universe
PSU: if it ain't planetside, its crap!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-03-24, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Lazaruz
Private

How well do you think this laptop would run Planetside 2?

So, I find myself in the market for a new laptop. I know that desktops would be cheaper and more powerful, but I need more of a mobile solution since I tend to be on the move a lot. I plan to be using the thing for everything, including gaming in general and PS2 ofc. So I was wondering if there are any tech savvy people lurking around here who could give me an ballpark estimate on the performance. The one that I'm looking at currently, seems to have a good price/performance ratio:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500

- 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) LED, glare
- Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz
- 8 GB (2x4 GB)DDR3 1600MHz, max.16 GB
- 1 TB 5400rpm + 16 GB mSATA SSD
- 2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M 2 GB SLI
- Windows 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WuJFd3BIbqU

Graphic settings really don't matter much to me, steady frames are more important. On my current laptop (specs below), I run the game at 800x600 with high/ultra settings and manage to get decent frames (depends on the user ofc). Excluding the usual problems around large facilities and big fights that people tend to complain about, that is when I tend to drop as low as 15-18fps. But in small-med fights I'll be rolling with 28-40fps. So, do you think that the new system would give me a performance boost? Since I'm not made of money and the laptop is currently on sale for 999 euros, I'm fairly interested in picking it up.

Acer 5742G: i5-480M 2.67 GHz, GT 540M (313.96 beta driver), 8g RAM, Win7
Large fight FPS: 18-25
Old 2013-03-24, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

Re: How well do you think this laptop would run Planetside 2?

Never really dealt with gaming laptops before, but how much could you overclock that processor? 2.4 GHZ is really lowballing it for a CPU dependant program like Ps2.
Old 2013-03-24, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Masriel
Private

I'm running almost the same setup on my laptop with the exception of a 17" monitor, a 22" secondary monitor and the NVidia GTX670m card. It runs like a champ, I have all my settings as medium or higher and at 1920x1080.
Old 2013-03-24, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

No, not really, fastest laptop i7s are 3ghz.

That one will turbo to 3-something.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-03-24, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lazaruz
Private

Yeah, the turbo boost is listed as 3.4GHz max

Acer 5742G: i5-480M 2.67 GHz, GT 540M (313.96 beta driver), 8g RAM, Win7
Large fight FPS: 18-25
Old 2013-03-25, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

To answer your question: Of course it's going to play PS2. It's a current machine with one of the better CPUs available to laptops. It has a passable graphic card by most measures.

Why wouldn't it run?
Is it going to get a minimum of 30fps at native resolution with the graphics goodies turned on? Eh, seems unlikely given I5's (fun fact: the intel CPUs, desktop and mobile, with the same number of cores and same integrated graphics are the exact same die!) with like 2 ghz on it can't quite do it.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-03-25, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Its a great laptop. I saw it in action when my friend was playing on it. Running games w/o issue. At its price point in the US here anyway at Newegg its unbeatable IMO. If you need a mobile solution I would go for that laptop.
Old 2013-03-31, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
BossRigs
Private

Originally Posted by Lazaruz View Post
So, I find myself in the market for a new laptop. I know that desktops would be cheaper and more powerful, but I need more of a mobile solution since I tend to be on the move a lot. I plan to be using the thing for everything, including gaming in general and PS2 ofc. So I was wondering if there are any tech savvy people lurking around here who could give me an ballpark estimate on the performance. The one that I'm looking at currently, seems to have a good price/performance ratio:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500

- 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) LED, glare
- Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz
- 8 GB (2x4 GB)DDR3 1600MHz, max.16 GB
- 1 TB 5400rpm + 16 GB mSATA SSD
- 2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M 2 GB SLI
- Windows 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WuJFd3BIbqU

Graphic settings really don't matter much to me, steady frames are more important. On my current laptop (specs below), I run the game at 800x600 with high/ultra settings and manage to get decent frames (depends on the user ofc). Excluding the usual problems around large facilities and big fights that people tend to complain about, that is when I tend to drop as low as 15-18fps. But in small-med fights I'll be rolling with 28-40fps. So, do you think that the new system would give me a performance boost? Since I'm not made of money and the laptop is currently on sale for 999 euros, I'm fairly interested in picking it up.
I would get it, it is worth it. That is actually a good deal, as long as everything is working properly. It will play it. Fairly well actually.

For more info email us at [email protected]
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum