PDA

View Full Version : new empire?

Super_Ryu7
2004-08-31, 12:41 PM
i think it would be cool if they added a new empire or so it might throw off the balance but like the original inhabitants of the planet joining in the battle as thier own empire would be really sweet... i think it would at least.

ps-sorry for all my threads lol

Lartnev
2004-08-31, 12:44 PM
Erm, the original inhabitants were the Vanu, and quite simply they'd own anything and everything the TR, NC or VS have to offer. Some balance.

Queensidecastle
2004-08-31, 01:30 PM
Now that it is multiple planets, it would be cool if some indigenous race to the system emerges from the land, capturing old equipmnet, learning it, modifying it, and start wanting to get rid of the invaders of thier land

Eldanesh
2004-08-31, 01:40 PM
Bleh, keep it humans only. Hairless pink softies with guns for the win!

TheN00b
2004-08-31, 02:17 PM
Humans only.

'Nuff said.

_-Gunslinger-_
2004-08-31, 02:34 PM
Bring on the Stargate plot! Vanu = Original humans, collinated earth as a second planet, Then moved one for some reason while the newly collinated planet undwent changes that caused the settlers to revert to "cavemen" ergo we have old time humans. Vanu do not return however they colonized some of other planets. Now those inhabitants can learn and adopt the technology we have and become a fourth faction.

BTW I dont endorse that plotline. I think its a smidge hollywoody :bang: for me.

However I dont like how for there to be even fights two factions need to be involved, leaving thier other assets totaly vulnerable. Threeways are fun but mostly for the victor.

CMRath
2004-08-31, 03:17 PM
They couldn't ever do this without making Planetside 2...
The reason is simple. We already have 3 empires that are well established, with many members on each. To throw in a fourth side would be impossible because they would have to get players from each side to join the fourth untill it was really balanced. It couldn't really work

Warborn
2004-08-31, 03:21 PM
They couldn't ever do this without making Planetside 2...
The reason is simple. We already have 3 empires that are well established, with many members on each. To throw in a fourth side would be impossible because they would have to get players from each side to join the fourth untill it was really balanced. It couldn't really work

Yeah, it could work. If they came out with a really cool release you can bet that people would switch to play that race on their own volition. Hell, Outfits might switch too, to get a fresh start at the leaderboard there.

As for the possibility of such a fourth side, I think it's quite good. We know that the "Old" Republic, back on Earth and such, wants to terminate the expeditionary forces on the planets that once comprised Auraxis. I think they'll send in something that'll become the fourth side, whose purpose is to destroy the other sides for the Old Republic. Thing is, anyone who goes to Auraxis is not allowed to leave, as the Republic doesn't want word getting out about the world. Thus I would imagine that if my theory is correct, the eventual fourth side will be cybernetic/robotic or otherwise non-human. Maybe even a biological race, like the Zerg, or those guys from Tribes 2. Something that not only plays upon popular race gimmicks (people would join becaus robots/zerg are cool) but sticks with the storyline that they've already setup.

Ghandi90
2004-08-31, 05:03 PM
As for the possibility of such a fourth side, I think it's quite good. We know that the "Old" Republic, back on Earth and such, wants to terminate the expeditionary forces on the planets that once comprised Auraxis. I think they'll send in something that'll become the fourth side, whose purpose is to destroy the other sides for the Old Republic.

1st-Um if i remember correctly ... a worm hole closed...thus rendering the old republic inable to travel to auraxis.
2nd- The worm hole closed b4 the bending so the old republic has no idea where we are.

No old republic for teh win!

Lonehunter
2004-08-31, 05:08 PM
I think the wormhole should open back up and North Korea could come through blowing shit up.

Queensidecastle
2004-08-31, 05:46 PM
I think a 4th side is very feasable but I am certain it would be a paid expansion

Lartnev
2004-08-31, 05:48 PM
Well the devs already have their plate full balancing three sides, a fourth will just add to their problems.

If it was an expansion empire only, not only would everyone with that expansion play on that side, but it'd have to have advantages to make the expansion worthwhile. I honestly don't think the devs would take such a route.

Subterfuge
2004-08-31, 05:49 PM
Here's a crazy idea. All nations split into 3 factions, because of disagreements. So now you have 9 factions battling against each other.

Lartnev
2004-08-31, 05:52 PM
Yup, crazy :D

Cauldron Borne
2004-08-31, 06:41 PM
9 factions.....9 planets....one victor.....who side are you on? PlanetSide II, coming fall of 2000never

Super_Ryu7
2004-08-31, 07:41 PM
hmm well my idea (really old and stupid) was like the old inhabitants went scrounging aroung old battle fields and reassembled the weapons=weapon splices like a vangaurd with hover capability and the prowler main gun and shit like that with a few of there own things, but it is a stupid idea i guess

CassH
2004-08-31, 07:54 PM
I think the 4th Empire should be More seperatents like the NC but they also care about Tech like the VanuS so all the not so harxdcore VS will go and all the NC that kinda think the Tech should be studed and not just that they should seperate from the TR.

Warborn
2004-08-31, 08:16 PM
1st-Um if i remember correctly ... a worm hole closed...thus rendering the old republic inable to travel to auraxis.
2nd- The worm hole closed b4 the bending so the old republic has no idea where we are.

No old republic for teh win!

It's fiction, so they can do whatever they want. They've already illustrated that the old TR has no interest in keeping the current TR, VS, and NC around. If the Ancients don't provide a fourth side, eventually the old TR will. And the BFR plans were sent through the micro-wormhole to each of the three warring sides, too. I see no reason why they couldn't, say, transmit an AI through that conjures up a fourth faction of robots or something like that.

JetRaiden
2004-08-31, 08:25 PM
there wont be a new empire. ever.

not until like 2009 anyway, when planetside 2 comes out. :p

Lonehunter
2004-08-31, 08:33 PM
9 factions.....9 planets....one victor.....who side are you on? PlanetSide II, coming fall of 2000never
The bold part contains the most trueth

Warborn
2004-08-31, 10:00 PM
there wont be a new empire. ever.

not until like 2009 anyway, when planetside 2 comes out. :p

I wouldn't be so sure about that. SOE loves making expansions for their games. Lot's and lot's of expansions. And expansions need strong selling points, like a cool new side to play as with their own new vehicles and weapons and stuff. I'm not saying that such an expansion is imminent, only that I don't think Planetside will go through its lifespan having a bunch of expansions, and not ever having a new side. It just defies SOE's history.

Lartnev
2004-09-01, 08:26 AM
It's a lot easier to add expansions to a MMORPG than it is to add them to Planetside. I'm sure SOE will add another expansion to Planetside, but I doubt it would be in the same magnitude as EverQuest or Star Wars Galaxies.

Queensidecastle
2004-09-01, 11:04 AM
It's a lot easier to add expansions to a MMORPG than it is to add them to Planetside.
I disagree. RPGMMOs have economies, trade crafts, and loot. 3 things that Planetside doesnt have, on top of the same type of balance concerns

I agree with Warborn. Planetside is a very very successful MMO. With that much money to be made I can almost guarantee a Planetside 2 and in the very least, another expansion. An MMO FPS was an experiment and as it turns out a very successful one. It is clear now that there is a very large market for MMOFPS and as Planetside ages; Sony is going to have to address it with sequels and expansions

Warborn
2004-09-01, 02:18 PM
PS2 will be a long time coming. EQ2, I believe, was spawned primarily because EQ1 is so inundated with mudflation and so on that they really don't have much left to work with. That, and EQ1 is very dated compared to other games, and without EQ2, it wouldn't have a chance of remaining extremely successful in the wake of World of Warcraft (though given how good WoW is, let's see how well EQ2 really does).

SOE likes money. They aren't going to finance a sequel to Planetside until Planetside stops being very popular, or has some serious competition coming at it (like, say, in 5 years we get a Starcraft MMOFPS game by Blizzard). If they make a PS2 within the next couple years, for instance, PS1 will still probably be as popular as it is now, if not more popular, and PS2 will end up being competition with PS1. That isn't good business at all.

You can do pretty much anything with expansions. Adding new sides, new vehicles, weapons, areas, and even new graphics engines to make the game look better. There are lot's of things they could add with expansions, and because of how comparatively simplistic PS is as a MMOFPS, there isn't really a ceiling for what they can do. Although Planetside's expansions may be weak sauce given how many people currently subscribe to the game, I really don't believe we're going to see a shortage of expansions.

Jekz
2004-09-01, 02:23 PM
I'm sure the next expansion will add the Terran Empire, the Dragon Horde, and the Old Republic Machina Force.

Queensidecastle
2004-09-01, 02:29 PM
I wager the BFRs will give Sony the momentum (and money) it needs to plan for a Planetside expansion

Lartnev
2004-09-01, 03:19 PM
I disagree. RPGMMOs have economies, trade crafts, and loot. 3 things that Planetside doesnt have, on top of the same type of balance concerns

Well normally such games are PvE, which makes it easier on the balance concerns. Also levels come into play so it's expected to see powerful spells for higher players etc. Also I think if you add a new weapon to a MMORPG the art and animation assets are far less demanding than those employed in Planetside.

And I'd wager that they've probably already got it in mind to do a naval expansion, they're just getting things out of the development queue.

CassH
2004-09-01, 03:20 PM
I hope not.

New expanstions = alot new content

Alot new content = more bugs

More bugs = shit

Jekz
2004-09-01, 03:46 PM
I hope not.

New expanstions = alot new content

Alot new content = more bugs

More bugs = shit
You are the future.

SniperDude
2004-09-01, 04:03 PM
I'd like to see, not really a 4th empire, but rather a mercenary type "empire". Have same max BR but no CR. Also they have no Sanc, but simply work for what ever empire they want to for the day. They'll have to choose on log in who they want to fight for and have to follow the 12 hour rule. Ya it's kinda cheap and exploitable, but without CR being a factor, I think it could be pretty fun.

Queensidecastle
2004-09-01, 04:18 PM
And I'd wager that they've probably already got it in mind to do a naval expansion, they're just getting things out of the development queue
I would bet on that also

CassH
2004-09-01, 04:44 PM
But then everyone would be a mercinary and there would be no CR and sometimes there would be massive empires that everyone is playing for.

Atlas24
2004-09-05, 02:43 AM
Unless they made u able to transfer the Br/Cr of your character over, this new empire would totally blow and lose all the time. Every1 would be a noob with no certs, and die all the time.

Besides that, it will never happen, not in a billion years.

Warborn
2004-09-05, 04:22 AM
Unless they made u able to transfer the Br/Cr of your character over, this new empire would totally blow and lose all the time. Every1 would be a noob with no certs, and die all the time.

A noob with no certs for a couple weeks, just fine after a month or two. Same goes for the CRs. Not that anyone will care of course, as such an empire would be New and Interesting, so people would chug merrily along regardless, and be even more pumped when they win battles against the BR/CR-superior enemy empires.

But if you think the slow start this side would get is anything even remotely resembling a good reason not to have another side, you're horribly mistaken.

Besides that, it will never happen, not in a billion years.

We're talking about SOE, which pumped out a half dozen expansions for one of its other MMOs over its fairly long lifespan, and you think they won't use a new empire as material for an expansion to grab even more money from their subscribers. Right.

And not only that, but it's not like a new empire would even be a bad thing, provided such an expansion had some stuff for the other empires too. So you're really that convinced that a company which is gay for making expansions for its MMOGs won't ever, not in a billion years, do something which is actually a pretty good reason to have an expansion?

Lonehunter
2004-09-05, 09:06 AM
I'm sure the next expansion will add the Terran Empire, the Dragon Horde, and the Old Republic Machina Force.
NNOOO!!! NORTH KOREA DAMN IT!