PDA

View Full Version : It's official, SOE has saved planetside (look here now)

HELLFISH_88
2006-01-18, 09:44 PM
Hello all,

For the next few weeks we are continuing to work on the "Subscription Free" service. For those of you that have not seen the explanation of this service, I'll list it out for you here.

Subscription Free - "Fodder Program"
New Players will be able to create a new account and and play for free for a period of 12 months. The new account will have limitations on the BattleRank (+ or - BR8) and the CommandRank (+ or - CR2). Essentially, new players will be able to have access to any part of the game but they will be limited on the diversity of their arsenal. Time Frame � We are shooting for February 14th for Launch.

New Player Training
Simultaneously to be launched with the Subscription Free service, we will be changing the UI for all new characters. One of the complaints that we receive frequently is that when you enter the game, there isn�t an easy learning curve and transition into battle. We�re going to change that in hopes of getting new players/characters into battle within a couple minutes of entering the game at the same time teaching them how to play. You may or may have not noticed that we have implemented 2 new saved favorites just recently to equip new players with a load-out much quicker.

Blast into PlanetSide Promotion
I�m sure you have all noticed the increase of population the past week. The main reason is that we opened over 300,000 closed accounts and granted 30 days of free play if they log into the account before February 28, 2006. So contact your old squad members and find out what is holding them up if they�re dragging their feet.

Art Projects in the works

Many of the art projects stem from new deployable items and weapon variants. I mentioned in the past that we received a ton of good suggestions and illustrations from many. Most notably from Idealab�s documentation. We started out with the idea of implementing many of the ideas and when it came down to selecting which ones to work on, our team decided to use those ideas, other suggestions from individuals on the boards as well as mixing in their own ideas. So I hope you will find these projects exciting for the near future.

Tank Traps
The best picture that comes to mind when we discuss Tank Traps is the scene from Saving Private Ryan when they are storming the beach at the beginning of the movie. And to make things worse for them getting to shore are those huge metal objects impeding the boat�s progress. Tank Traps � Place them around your towers and entry ways. Stop those vehicles from sitting in front of your tower door while they just unload and annihilate anything that comes out. If they try to ram them, they�ll take damage.

Cloaking Bubble
Ok, we�ve got to come up with a better name but for the mean time, that�s what we�ll call it. This will allow you to deploy a cloaking bubble very much similar to the shield used for the AMS. However, without the AMS in the way there will be more room for placing other support objects or troops inside.

Supply Depots
You�ll be able to deploy Ammo or Equipment Terminals out in the battlefield. You won�t have to rely on an AMS always being around if you pop one of these in your Cloaking Bubble. Also, drop a Med Terminal or station and you�ve got the makings of an excellent support depot that is hidden to other empires� at least for a few minutes.

Galaxy Gunship
There isn�t much more to say about this other than LOOK OUT! At it�s current design, I believe your looking at 7 gunner positions that might be helpful by doing a mission requiring you to clear a path. Remember to use the New Squad Definitions when forming a squad with specific goals in mind.

Air to Air Mosquito
Ok Pilots, you�ve now got some rockets you can use for air to air combat. Take down those Reavers that are camping out in front of my tower again. I can�t get out!!!!

One-Man Turrets
That�s right � Deploy a one-manned turret out in the field. These are different than our current Ronco turrets (Set it and forget it turrets). You can deploy the turret out on the battlefield and wreak havoc� but you better watch out for those snipers because the turret is predominantly open.

Re-configurable Wall Turrets
Take your average wall turret and equip it with AA weaponry to clear the skies over Cyssor. OR� Change it out to a combo AV / standard turret to beat back the land crawlers knocking on your front door.

Radiation Sniper Slugs
Technology is getting better each day. The scientists have developed a slug that can be used in long ranged sniper rifles. If hit by these radiation slugs, your health will slowly reduce over time.

Electromagnetic Force Field
Need a temporary reprieve? Throw up a force field that will give you some cover while you get your wits about you. But don�t take too long because these force fields will take damage and be destroyed. If you�re working with a good team, keep adding more sections to your force field to keep the enemy wondering which section you�ll be jumping out at.

Katana Special
Ok, that isn�t the real name but we�re creating a new knife that you can be gained through your merits and awards.

Weapon Variants
Ok, this is the larger project that we will be working on. We will be creating new weapon variants for most, if not all, of the weapons that you have access to. We�re working out the design but the art work doesn�t need to be held up to allow you to pick an augmentation of the gun that you love to use. It might shoot faster with less accuracy or slower with better accuracy. Heck, you might be able to zoom in with it further. All of these augmentations are based on the hundreds to thousands of suggestions we receive on how to make each weapon better than it already is now. All of these things are being worked out right now and your access to them may have something to do with your merits and awards.

Well, these are the core items we are working on currently. Thank you for your patience and I look forward to seeing your comments and feedback.

Enrico Pallazzo

Message Edited by Enrico_Pallazzo on 01-18-200607:28 PM

Just hot off Development disscussion.

Well guys, SOE Saved our asses....from themselves...again....:groovy:

Mag-Mower
2006-01-18, 10:04 PM
I saw that, and thought holy shit! they gone done got them selves an other subscriber! In my opinion, this has to be some of the biggest stuff since the release of the BFR, if no THE best thing to happen to this game, Fodderside is an instant win, plus all this new stuff sounds really killer!

Hamma
2006-01-18, 10:10 PM
All really cool :D

Very nice ideas - more exciting times ahead for PS :brow:

Peacemaker
2006-01-18, 10:20 PM
if mossies have AA missles I want fucking countermeasures

ORANGE
2006-01-18, 11:39 PM
I'll leave it at the devs have promised things before......

Hayoo
2006-01-18, 11:55 PM
I'll leave it at the devs have promised things before......

But usually it's been massive systems like Outfit Bases, Base Redesigns, and the like. While expansive, the listed items appear less intensive.

Hamma
2006-01-19, 06:48 AM
Indeed. I'll agree there - none of these things are massive.

Hamma
2006-01-19, 07:18 AM
All of the AA features do concern me though - its already enough of a pain to fly around with 300 missile locks on you - do we really need more forms of AA? Turrets and AA mosquitos? To be honest I don't think they need to touch that.

Marsman
2006-01-19, 08:25 AM
I might add that if they do go ahead with this extra AA stuff, countermeasures would certainly be a nice addition to offset it. Otherwise, I agree it might be a bit too much on the flyers.

Warborn
2006-01-19, 10:22 AM
I think the AA mosquito is a great idea. I've always hated how air combat is basically a floating turret battle. It was very unsatisfying when I played it. Having missiles on a fast, agile vehicle like a mosquito will make air combat a lot faster paced I suspect.

Furthermore, the reason I dropped from Planetside the first time was because of reavers. I hate reavers immensely and it gives me great satisfaction shooting them down. I believe that, as I'm probably not alone in my reaver hatred, the inclusion of a dedicated AA aircraft is a good idea. Why? Because reaver spam will only be viable when you've achieved air superiority/supremecy. And that's just how it should be. Aircraft should be fighting for control of the skies first, and pounding ground targets only when it's safe for the gunships/bombers to do so.

So this will:
a) Make air combat more exciting.
b) Reduce the number of reaver whores out there.

Honestly, I can't see the problem here.

ORANGE
2006-01-19, 10:35 AM
Personally I've always used the mossy primarily for anti-air and have no troubles with reavers....if you get shot down by a reaver in a mossy you should stick to the ground. The reavers rockets are perfect for what it was intended for, taking out armored targets. I see no problems currently with any of the aircraft, however I see adding anti-air rockets to what I already consider to be more than adept at air-to-air fighting a severe balance issue and all the libby and reaver pilots will be bitching in about a week about how they need countermeasures, which the devs will take several months to develop. And then of course it will be rushed out the door because "everyone" wants it in the game and the new mossy rocket whores will complain that its unbalanced and we will be caught in the never ending loop of nerf/buffs again with the aircraft which I thought was finally over.

Warborn
2006-01-19, 11:54 AM
Personally I've always used the mossy primarily for anti-air and have no troubles with reavers....if you get shot down by a reaver in a mossy you should stick to the ground.

My problem with air-to-air as it currently is isn't that it's not effective at all. It's that it's really, really boring and could be much better. I think mosquitoes with missiles fighting each other will make it better.

I also doubt very much that they'd give reavers/etc countermeasures to avoid this. I think the idea is that you don't bring reavers into air-to-air fights against these AA mosquitoes. That, you know, only when one side has cleared the skies of enemy AA mosquitoes would people start bringing out aircraft to attack ground targets, for the most part.

BlackDrop
2006-01-19, 01:21 PM
Warborn! Long time no see. Good to see you are still around.

ORANGE
2006-01-19, 03:27 PM
My problem with air-to-air as it currently is isn't that it's not effective at all. It's that it's really, really boring and could be much better. I think mosquitoes with missiles fighting each other will make it better.

I also doubt very much that they'd give reavers/etc countermeasures to avoid this. I think the idea is that you don't bring reavers into air-to-air fights against these AA mosquitoes. That, you know, only when one side has cleared the skies of enemy AA mosquitoes would people start bringing out aircraft to attack ground targets, for the most part.

While I'd like to agree with you on the missiles making air-to-air better there is too much network programming that has to be taken into consideration to make the fights quick and exciting. You just can't have it and low lag in this game.

Secondly why wouldn't they include countermeasures, forumside will be ablaze with flames the day the patch is released if there aren't any. Also whos to say the devs will balance the air-to-air rockets against infantry and other ground targets?

Don't get the impression I'm trying to pick a fight with you here or anything but I've just got rather strong opinions on the dev's abilities to think ahead/get things done properly and releasing what is basically looks to me like a list of "wouldn't it be cools..." doesn't change my opinion on them. Until I see a patch that is A) what was promised, B) properly tested for balance, and C) worth the money that goes from my pocket to theirs (no talking about server maintenence and stuff here just the money that ends up with the developers) will my opinion change.

Warborn
2006-01-19, 05:35 PM
Warborn! Long time no see. Good to see you are still around.

And I'm equally surprised to see CDL back in PS in some force, let alone PSU active once again.

While I'd like to agree with you on the missiles making air-to-air better there is too much network programming that has to be taken into consideration to make the fights quick and exciting. You just can't have it and low lag in this game.

Secondly why wouldn't they include countermeasures, forumside will be ablaze with flames the day the patch is released if there aren't any. Also whos to say the devs will balance the air-to-air rockets against infantry and other ground targets?

Don't get the impression I'm trying to pick a fight with you here or anything but I've just got rather strong opinions on the dev's abilities to think ahead/get things done properly and releasing what is basically looks to me like a list of "wouldn't it be cools..." doesn't change my opinion on them. Until I see a patch that is A) what was promised, B) properly tested for balance, and C) worth the money that goes from my pocket to theirs (no talking about server maintenence and stuff here just the money that ends up with the developers) will my opinion change.

Mosquitoes with homing rockets would be good enough, because you'd be able to break the lock by weaving between obstacles, and staying stationary would be suicidal. So I suspect something resembling dogfights might actually take place.

And I think they wouldn't add countermeasures because they might not want reavers/etc to be very well-suited to fighting these AA mosquitoes. Sure, they might, and it might work out alright, but I don't believe there's much of a point to it. If you drive your tank into the unknown, you can die horribly very fast. If you take your ground-attacking aircraft into unfamiliar skies, same thing should be expected.

As for the air-to-air missiles being balanced against ground targets, I doubt they'll have a blast radius, and I doubt their clip size or the size of their ammo boxes will be anything close to what reavers have. Yes, they probably will do damage if you get shot by them in your vehicle or on foot, but if you're suggesting they'll replace reaverwhores, I really doubt that'll be the case.

Don't worry, I'm not assuming you're here to pick a fight with me. For my part, I'm just glad something else is being added to curtail the ground-attack aircraft and make a form of air vehicle that I might actually enjoy playing. So this change can only work out well for me. I'll be happy to see fewer reavers and happy to actually fly something that might play like an aircraft rather than a floating box.

shorts41
2006-01-19, 08:22 PM
Air to Air Mosquito
Ok Pilots, you�ve now got some rockets you can use for air to air combat. Take down those Reavers that are camping out in front of my tower again. I can�t get out!!!!

This makes puppies cry. And we'll have a new phrase, "Mossie spam". Yey.
Mosquitos are scout aircraft, not combat units. Let the skyguards and AA MAX suits do their jobs.

Some of these things are okay, but I would still prefer to see base redesigns. Although Fodderside should be interesting! :p

Hamma
2006-01-19, 10:14 PM
Check This:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-aa-countermeasures-1237.htm

Warborn
2006-01-20, 12:56 AM
Check This:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-aa-countermeasures-1237.htm

I'm not sure this is really such a bad thing, actually. Once upon a time I wrote a bunch about how air combat sucks and what I'd like to see done to make it better. An AA aircraft was one, but I also felt that if such an aircraft were added, ground-based AA should be less effective. On principle I'm against it because anything that makes reavers less effective is A-OK in my books, but it might not be too bad I suppose.

It's possible, then, that countermeasures are for making ground based AA less effective. I mean, you're probably not going to evade a mosquito in a reaver or liberator, and chances are you won't have more countermeasure 'rounds' than they have anti-air rockets (that is, you won't be able to perpetually shake the lock-on, and like in BF2, they'll just wait till you use your CM and them fire and blow you away) so they probably won't be that effective against the AA mosquito, as that'd defeat the purpose of an AA mosquito. But, if one side achieves air superiority such that their ground-attack aircraft don't need to worry about having a dozen AA mosquitoes on them, then I suspect a bit more survivability against ground targets might not be such a bad thing, as ground targets will be seeing fewer reavers anyway.

So, who knows, maybe counter-measures will be mainly for facilitating attack runs on ground targets by giving pilots a short reprieve from lock-on weapons. But against the AA mosquito, they might not be very useful if you're in a reaver or other bigger, slower aircraft.

Baneblade
2006-01-20, 06:05 AM
Take the Radar and Stealth off the Skeeter. It never was a scout vehicle and all this AA missile stuff does is make it even easier to be a solo pwnmobile.

Skeeters had no trouble killing Reavers before, are we now to assume that Reavers should have no chance of killing a Skeeter?

Hamma
2006-01-20, 06:44 AM
The amount of AA playing TR in this game is such a pain now, I can't imagine what it will be like with turrets and AA Mosq's :ugh:

Marsman
2006-01-20, 09:16 AM
If you follow down thru that thread, you see a lot of comments on mossy fights being one of the few skillful acts left in a game where skill-less weapons are far too prevelent. Even the consideration of coutermeasures is reassuring and if implemented, I personally hope that some decent amount of skill is required both with use of the AA and the use of countermeasures. We certainly need less easy buttons with respect to weapons imo.

Warborn
2006-01-20, 09:48 AM
Honestly, anything that reduces the number of reavers in the game is fine with me. I think people who use reavers frequently having their fun in a reaver diminished is a small price to pay. I believe reavers detract from the experience of people on the ground quite a bit.

edit: And this isn't meant to be a jab at reaver pilots. Up until recently I was a hardcore flight variant pilot, and Odin knows those things detracted from the game for a lot of people. But it was fun to fly and kill people with (despite the hate tells) so I did it anyway. I just think that there are some things in the game that hurt the overall experience. The reaver swarms, just like how the flight variants were, are such a thing.

Phantomgate
2006-01-21, 12:35 AM
hmmm goodbye WoW, hello Planetside again.

Tigersmith
2006-01-21, 12:39 AM
hmmm goodbye WoW, hello Planetside again.

Welcome back!

Peacemaker
2006-01-21, 01:00 PM
This whole thing with AA rockets had better be a Merit kinda thing. Im flying reavers and mossies all the time like normal. Dog fighting in a mossie is NOT a floating turret fight. If your fighting like that your doing something very wrong. A dog fight in PS is essentialy precision control of 3 things. Angle of attack, Air skids, and afterburners. Mess any of these 3 things up and it becomes a air turret fight and you die if you have less armor.

PS dogfights take tons of pracitce. Im currently sucking hardcore right now after not playing for a year. Im slowly getting better though. Really if they want an AA varient of the mossy, it needs to be a few things... 1. The missles need to have VERY limited tracking. Tail on shots only. 2. The missle lock needs to be able to be broken like a striker lock. 3. If they REALLY want to make a good AA mossy, the Radar, and stealth needs to be taken away, and the 12mm chain gun needs to be replaced with a dual 15mm setup (DUAL GUNS NOT 2 GUNS WITH THE ROF OF ONE)

WildEagle
2006-01-22, 08:49 PM
has PS gone on sale for cheaper yet?

BlackDrop
2006-01-23, 10:53 AM
has PS gone on sale for cheaper yet?

From what I understand the download is free with a buddy key. Someone here might have an extra one - after the free 10 day trial it is $12.99 USD a month.

gforce
2006-01-24, 06:10 PM
Add flares/holographic decoy and the like.... this could be made effective against all forms of AA