PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Drop pods, and the lack of SOI.
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-06, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Ductape
Private

Re: Drop pods, and the lack of SOI.

I never played ps1, So this is based on observations in other games and from the video seen.

I think that squad spawning should follow BF2142 in that you can pod in, but only at a certain location. Im not keen on seeing a ton of random pods dropping in all over the place during a base battle.

I would like to see it be something like a beacon grenade. you throw it down and it cant get destroyed, but shuts down after x mins or if an enemy gets within x meters for 30 seconds or so. As it is it will be cool for large spawns, but get irritating shortly.

I want to avoid sporadic drops but still allow for large drops to happen. For example, a galaxy filled with SLs disgorges behind enemy lines in a base and then squad members all drop on them to take the base very rapidly.

Another idea is to make it an item like the engineer tool. The SL is the only one that can have it, and they can take it out and use it to provide a signal for up to 30 seconds or so, with a 5-10 minute cooldown. While using this beacon tool, they cannot use a weapon. They can get reinforcements this way, but it will generally be a onetime thing once some squad members have died, or to get them there in the first place.