Drop pods, and the lack of SOI. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you threw crap into a spawn tube where would it go?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-06, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Re: Drop pods, and the lack of SOI.

The way I see it, the devs are stressing that logistics is important, and so is being able to stay in the action. Those are kind of opposed to each other in a round about way, so you need a balance. So, squad spawning should have a hefty timer as well as limited areas in which it can be used. Perhaps you need to control a dropship center or equivalent in order to use it? Also we know that you cannot SS inside a facility, obviously. Seems pretty fair to me.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Hamma
PSU Admin

Via IRC:

BREWKO: Drop Pod and Squad Spawning is all configured for E3, this is not how it's going to be in the final.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-06, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Why? The only answer is that's how Planetside 1 did it. That doesn't automatically make a change in that silly.

Having an option, that has a cooldown mind you, to drop pod on your squad leader is a great way to keep squad cohesion. People here always trump up teamwork, and this directly supports teamwork.

Plus it's not like you magically appear indoors next to your squad leader. You have to drop pod in.
Being able to routinely drop MAX units on rooftops IS silly, broken silly. They fulfill the same role as they did in the old game (siegebreakers) so the same rules still apply. There's a reason VS MAX jumpjets were removed.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

My biggest issue is what happens when you have an organised outfit who takes a gal full of 12 Squad leaders. Does a gal drop and then has each of the squad leaders squads spawn on them...Thats essentially like doing 12X6 gal drops with 1/6th the danger.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by FPClark View Post
My biggest issue is what happens when you have an organised outfit who takes a gal full of 12 Squad leaders. Does a gal drop and then has each of the squad leaders squads spawn on them...Thats essentially like doing 12X6 gal drops with 1/6th the danger.
Danger isn't a huge issue considering you can just respawn. Also, if that one galaxy goes down before the drop, you can say bye bye to the whole op. Besides; the enemy can do the same thing. I think it would be pretty epic to see a bunch of drop pods flaming in.

I do like the idea of a SOI around bases where pods can't drop though. Bolsters the logistical aspect.
Old 2012-06-06, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

They talked about secondary objectives. One could be to take out something that prevents enemy drop pods from coming in. A base can have multiple of these and each covers a certain area of the base.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
dsi
Staff Sergeant

I can't wait to see an SL infiltrator climb up to the top of a facility unseen and then have 9 maxes drop in around him. Do their testers have no imagination, or do they honestly think that's ok?

Actually FPClark has it even better, gal drop 12 SLs, suddenly you can drop in 108 maxes on top of the enemy base! I wonder how fast 120 players can backcap...
Old 2012-06-07, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
AshOck
Private

If you had a squad of 10 all certed in SS, could you just keep promoting someone else to squad leader and divide the timer by ten?

If so then perhaps the cool down should initiate once someone is promoted to effectively negate this.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Via IRC:

BREWKO: Drop Pod and Squad Spawning is all configured for E3, this is not how it's going to be in the final.
Great, thanks. I don't really have an issue with the system, but I do have a huge issue with the proximity to bases in witch it can be used.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by AshOck View Post
If you had a squad of 10 all certed in SS, could you just keep promoting someone else to squad leader and divide the timer by ten?

If so then perhaps the cool down should initiate once someone is promoted to effectively negate this.
I'm pretty sure squad spawn timers are personal. So if you join a new squad or someone else becomes SL, but you squad spawned in the last 10 minutes, you still gotta wait.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Via IRC:

This is still a problem.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-07-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Jeepo
Corporal

Is the time between squad spawning going to be 10 minutes or like 1? I have not seen it mentioned it anywhere.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Karrade
First Sergeant

While this makes SL's very valuable, and promotes squad teamplay there has to be some middle ground.

I didn't like that they could deploy anywhere, roofs, behind buildings, over defenses, there were no defenses in this case. In already open bases, it just promotes chaos imho, for both sides.

Perhaps however once the enemy is in the base, its game over anyway, and you are supposed to pull out and regroup? A bit like many of the base defenses in PS1, once you are past a certain point, defending isn't always the way to go?
Old 2012-07-10, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Jeepo View Post
Is the time between squad spawning going to be 10 minutes or like 1? I have not seen it mentioned it anywhere.
From Higby's more recent stream, it looked like 5 minutes at most.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
sunzen
Private

I hope it will change. Whats the point in defending the front door when they just spawn on the roof ? If they manage to fly in ok, this could happen, but just click on the map an basically get a free capture ? no way. spawning on enemy territory should not be allowed that way.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion