Kill Streaks - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm on to you Trebeck!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Re: Kill Streaks

Being rewarded for maintaining a K/D is the number one way to force people to exploit glitches, camp, use the most horrible tactics and generally create a bad play environment. Not only that but it's a stupid 'rich get richer' promotion, good players get even better and the bad players are put at a huge disadvantage, just look at modern warfare 2 and how many people camp with nothing but explosives and how the kills can suddenly become hugely inbalanced by one lucky killstreak and the hordes of people that disconnect due to an AC-130.

Killstreaks are the No:1 way to alienate the new and less skilled.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Being rewarded for maintaining a K/D is the number one way to force people to exploit glitches, camp, use the most horrible tactics and generally create a bad play environment. Not only that but it's a stupid 'rich get richer' promotion, good players get even better and the bad players are put at a huge disadvantage, just look at modern warfare 2 and how many people camp with nothing but explosives and how the kills can suddenly become hugely inbalanced by one lucky killstreak and the hordes of people that disconnect due to an AC-130.

You are rewarded for maintaining a good k/d. You spend less time dead and more time getting more kills. And planetside players are already lame.

Not sure what killstreaks have to do with the rich get richer... so what some dude gets more xp for getting more kills, you should be rewarded for playing well.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You are rewarded for maintaining a good k/d. You spend less time dead and more time getting more kills. And planetside players are already lame.

Not sure what killstreaks have to do with the rich get richer... so what some dude gets more xp for getting more kills, you should be rewarded for playing well.
I'm OK with killstreaks giving a small xp bonus that pops up on your screen, I'm not OK with UAV's and Airstrikes being given out as rewards which is a 'modern FPS style' of Killstreak reward
Old 2011-07-10, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'm OK with killstreaks giving a small xp bonus that pops up on your screen, I'm not OK with UAV's and Airstrikes being given out as rewards which is a 'modern FPS style' of Killstreak reward
I'd frankly be shocked if they did this. We already have OS.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-10, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'd frankly be shocked if they did this. We already have OS.
I'd be shocked also. It's going to be more of the "Good job! you killed 10 dudes in a row without dying, you're doing awesome!" on screen notification variety than "unleash a massive space-kraken on your foes after you kill 10 guys in a row".
Old 2011-07-10, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
I'd be shocked also. It's going to be more of the "Good job! you killed 10 dudes in a row without dying, you're doing awesome!" on screen notification variety than "unleash a massive space-kraken on your foes after you kill 10 guys in a row".
>Implying the second scenario won't be balls to the walls fucking awesome.

Anyhow, glad to hear.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Cthulu as a killstreak reward, hells to the yeah.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

so this is confirmation we wont be seeing any space krakens?
Old 2011-07-10, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
so this is confirmation we wont be seeing any space krakens?
no space krakens= no buy, sorry higby, its a pass
Old 2011-07-11, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Wakken
Sergeant

I lol'd so hard
Old 2011-07-11, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I was really against killstreaks in PS till you said this

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-15, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

I play as a medic/hack/gal pilot primarily. If they add kill streaks then i was support streaks dammit. if i drop 10 people out of a gal, and they get 10 kills, i want a 10 support streak. If i heal someone then res another then heal yet another and they go on to kill 5 people, you guessed it - 5 support streak.

These guys can't just cater to the kill whores. This is an all fps, and the largest mmo is an rpg. They need to accentuate some aspects of the game that an rpg player might find more appealing, I.E. flying/driving in a non-combat capacity or being an engineer/medic/hacker. Maybe crafting too, wait nvm thats a horrible idea
Old 2011-07-16, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tybo
Private

Bingo.
Old 2011-07-17, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tybo View Post
Bingo.
its been confirmed that there will be no advantage to be had with killstreaks except for a little xp and a "pat on the back" i dont see how this can in any way give ppl incentive to be tards, killstreaks or not everyone still counts how many kills they have made ( holy warmonger 5 kills in a row im AWESOME ) exept now you will get a message that says how much you rock and give you a small treat for it

i would also like to point out that there are 2 types of killstreaks , call of duty style or unreal tournament style.
the difference being that in cod every kill you make counts toward your killstreak as long as you survive
in UT its only a double kill if you kill the 2nd guy within 2 seconds of the previous kill
a UT style killstreak system would mean that these streaks are for the assault type players or for the "cannon fodder" ( and lets just admit that every army needs cannon fodder )
and i dont see a problem in rewarding players who go "balls to the walls" insane into the courtyard so that the others can stream in, with a little extra xp and a "hey good job man !"

and what i take out of the q&a is that you will be rewarded for teamwork more then for killstreaks with commanders setting missions for other players wich reward with xp and whatnot
more xp from capture when in squads etc etc ...
these are all ways to get players to be active in squads and tactics and the war as a whole
i also dont think that killstreaks will be one of the key selling point for the game ( hey buy this game it has killstreaks just like in cod !!! ) i think they will have much more interesting things to attract ppl with, just off the top of my head : hey buy this game it has massive battles with thousands of players at once !

and unless i'm mistaken the real world army does pretty much the same thing , dang you killed 50 enemy's and showed complete bravery and skill in holding that line , here have the medal of honor

edit: i know the moh is only awarded very rarely but you get my point

Last edited by megamold; 2011-07-17 at 01:44 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion