PS2 may feature space based combat- Massively - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Going where no fan site has gone before
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-15, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Exclamation PS2 may feature space based combat- Massively

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08...ased-gameplay/

Oh (un)holy devs we beseech you please make it so!

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14382&dateline=131370  3750
Old 2011-08-15, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bjorntju1
Captain

Re: PS2 may feature space based combat- Massively

Really if they can make everything happen what they are saying, this is going to be the perfect FPS.
Old 2011-08-15, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
vampyro
Corporal

What? No cave battles? Sounds like all fart and no poop so far. Show us more!
Old 2011-08-15, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I never understood what was so hard about adding "space" combat.

1. Make a "skybox" that looks like stars.
2. Don't make any land.
3. "Cut out" an invisible cube that cannot be passed through.
4. Place some space stuff inside the cube.
5. Add vehcile spawners inside the cube.
6. Enjoy.

There you go, a "space sector". In terms of working with something like the Quake II map maker program, a "space sector" would be easiest thing to make! lol...
Old 2011-08-15, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

I thought Planetside was a shooter at heart? If you want space ships go play eve.
Old 2011-08-15, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I thought Planetside was a shooter at heart? If you want space ships go play eve.
Don't get snobby. Planetside 2 is going to be a much larger more comprehesive game than the original, especially as time goes on. There will always be games that are just a simple shooter, but it sounds like PS2 will be that and much more.

Old 2011-08-15, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Personally I'd rather some sweet Naval combat over space combat.
Old 2011-08-15, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Don't get snobby. Planetside 2 is going to be a much larger more comprehesive game than the original, especially as time goes on. There will always be games that are just a simple shooter, but it sounds like PS2 will be that and much more.
I don't want it to end up like wow where one part of the game gets more love (COUGH PVE COUGH).
Old 2011-08-15, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I don't want it to end up like wow where one part of the game gets more love (COUGH PVE COUGH).
It could end up like Star Wars Galaxies, where the space combat/zones/vehicles/crafting/looting were "done right in the first place" to such an extent that by the time they got around to adding more content to it, none of the original devs who made it were still on the team! Space, being "twitch based" had some lag issues and it did get a couple numerical value adjustments here and there, but it's the one thing that virtually no-one complained about from its release until it's big content updates starting in 2008 (4 years after space was introduced). That's not to say that people complain about space now, because they don't really - which is amazing, considering how MMO players love to complain... I'd say that's not a waste of time, yet it was a heck of a lot more involved than any space content PS2 will ever see (due to crafting, looting, pob ships, and ship parts from SWG not being PS2).

Decent and Decent: Free Space are "shooter games" only they take place inside a vehicle rather than on foot. Shooter game is shooter game.

Besides, apart from making ship models and balancing some numbers, there is very, very little to space content, by the very nature that it is space!

Last edited by Tatwi; 2011-08-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2011-08-15, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zulthus
Colonel

If implemented properly, more content never hurt anybody. If you don't want space ships, don't fight in a space ship. It seems post after post you just want the game to be some boring gun game with nothing else to it. Do you even want vehicles? Doesn't seem like it.
Old 2011-08-15, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lithious
Private

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
If implemented properly, more content never hurt anybody. If you don't want space ships, don't fight in a space ship. It seems post after post you just want the game to be some boring gun game with nothing else to it. Do you even want vehicles? Doesn't seem like it.
Sure that a game with alot of contrent is a good thing. But for me, flying around in a spaceship in PS2, so called an "MMOFPS" seems abit odd. Now, dont get me wrong, sure they might be able to make it "right". But for now it just seems a little distant. I just hope that they make everying else a 100% before they're starting to add in such big new feautres.
Hope they choose Quality over Quantity
Old 2011-08-15, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Lithious View Post
Sure that a game with alot of contrent is a good thing. But for me, flying around in a spaceship in PS2, so called an "MMOFPS" seems abit odd. Now, dont get me wrong, sure they might be able to make it "right". But for now it just seems a little distant. I just hope that they make everying else a 100% before they're starting to add in such big new feautres.
Hope they choose Quality over Quantity
Quality over Quantity every time. But flying a Reaver is the same thing as flying a space ship. It's just in a different environment. I could also say driving a tank in a MMOFPS is odd.. but with PlanetSide, it works perfectly.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

I have no issues with new environments. Its an ideal method of adding content to the game without disrupting already established gameplay.

They already plan on adding new planets. How awesome would it be if these planets had different physical properties and offered different weapons, vehicles, and different gameplay dynamics because of the physical properties and equipment selections. A space based map in some asteroid belt would be amazing. Especially if the infantry combat was like Shattered Horizons

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-08-15 at 10:56 PM.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
nathanebht
Sergeant

Well with their multiple worlds idea. Guess that space combat follows.

Think I'd rather see more interesting land combat with sea combat too. Just have massive gates which teleport you to another world. Don't lose focus on the core gameplay.

The space combat talk must be just a blurb on their 3 year plan anyway.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, I think they've been pretty clear that this is a very long term idea. Could be interesting.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion