Reduced scale of gameplay - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Harassar>Pedestrian
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
texico
Master Sergeant

Reduced scale of gameplay

The whole class/inventory thing aside, there's one other issue that's been concerning me with PS2. So this doesn't turn into a big wall of text, I'm just gonna sum it up short and sweet:

- Sanctuaries have been done away with and uncapturable footholds placed on each continent

- THEREFORE you can essentially fight where you want AND you can never fully own a continent if it has footholds of enemy empires

- THEREFORE you won't be able to fight over continents as if they represent actual pieces of territory themselves (in their entity) as in PS1. You'll only be able to fight WITHIN each continent

- THEREFORE, the game loses its "global" scale - the highest exchange of territory is the exchange of facilities/territory within each continent, so the game's maximum level of territory exchange and ownership is a fight over a continent.

- Each different continent will essentially just be different backgrounds to fight on, maybe with vaguely interacting exchange of benefits, I don't know, but not ownership, strategic use and loss of ownership of continents.

I understand that the goal here is not to have whole maps unplayable at a given time. But unfortunately that's a necessary part of creating the perception of "ownership" - you need to be able to lock down and control something if you're going to perceive that you won it, and that therefore means stopping other people from using it. The same logic could be applied to territory in a continent - by allowing the capturing and ownership of territory you're making large parts of the continent unplayable at any given time because the side that owns it is trying not to let a fight occur there so they can continue to perceive ownership. If you take the territory system away and have the empires running at each other from opposite corners of the map, you can get fights occurring all over the map in random locations - but you'd lose the perception of being able to have ownership over the land and therefore kill motivation for the player to fight.

So yeah, it's a problem that's been nagging me. I understand there will be just 3 continents to start, + footholds. It does seem like the game is being designed to focus on continent-scale battles. A key concept of the massive scale of PlanetSide 1 wasn't the fight size, but the fact that the continents themselves were actually the commodities being fought over to try and capture Auraxis itself.

Also, Chelsea won the Champions League.

Last edited by texico; 2012-05-30 at 06:32 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
CaptainMaverik
Private

Re: Reduced scale of gameplay

I understand your concerns, but they may implement variables we dont know about yet, to encourage play being spread throughout different continents, for instance certain resources per continent.

Besides, at least this way it doesnt turn into what was created in PS1, which usually had you fighting over the same 2-3 conts continously, because you knew how hard it was to try and take the home cont.
Old 2012-05-30, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NCLynx
Major

And with only 3 continents I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now after more continents pop up should it stay this way then yes, I'll have complaints.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-30, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
acosmo
Sergeant Major

"deal with it" - psu/soe
Old 2012-05-30, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I can understand your reasoning but I don't share your concerns.
I can't suggest anything that would alleviate them either so...
Old 2012-05-30, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
And with only 3 continents I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now after more continents pop up should it stay this way then yes, I'll have complaints.
yea isnce there is only 3 conts this is the way its gotta be...there therefore though, I WANT TO SEE MORE CONTS.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-30, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Duddy
First Sergeant

I disagree texico.

Whilst the size and number of continents is definitely questionable, the changes that have been made do promote scale.

They encourage fighting in more places simultaneously, both on a global and continental level, unlike PS1 where there were usually only 1 or 2 (3 during its prime perhaps) places "to be" (globally and within continent).

It does indeed come at the expense of "total" ownership, or rather should we say a perceived win condition, and I think the answer to that is change the perception of winning from that of just holding territory for the sake of it to holding territory so we're getting more resources/denying them to the enemy.

Why is the latter any less valid than the former? I think it might only be down to holding onto the PS1 ideals as sacred.

Last edited by Duddy; 2012-05-30 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I disagree texico.

Whilst the size and number of continents is definitely questionable, the changes that have been made do promote scale.

They encourage fighting in more places simultaneously, both on a global and continental level, unlike PS1 where there were usually only 1 or 2 (3 during its prime perhaps) places "to be" (globally and within continent).

It does indeed come at the expense of "total" ownership, or rather should we say a perceived win condition, and I think the answer to that is change the perception of winning from that of just holding territory for the sake of it to holding territory so we're getting more resources/denying them to the enemy.

Why is the latter any less valid than the former? I think it might only be down to holding onto the PS1 ideals as sacred.
you imply the place "to be" is the zerg clusterfuck, there should be more places to be than that.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-30, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
you imply the place "to be" is the zerg clusterfuck, there should be more places to be than that.
And you assume that I disagree with you :P
Old 2012-05-30, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
JHendy
First Sergeant

People have mentioned the idea of giving each continent a number of different sub regions , which would be fully seizable. For instance, wrack up every hex within a region's borders and your empire will have the prestige of controlling the greater region.

It certainly lacks the grandeur of a continent-wide capture, and without a tangible bonus given to the holding empire it is completely superficial, but it does somewhat satisfy people's desires for some form of win condition.

I share your concerns texico.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by texico View Post
- Sanctuaries have been done away with and uncapturable footholds placed on each continent

- THEREFORE you can essentially fight where you want AND you can never fully own a continent if it has footholds of enemy empires
The last part is incorrect. You can fully own a continent and pin an enemy into the warpgate just as you could PlanetSide 1. You couldn't capture a warpgate in PS1, that isn't any different in PS2. What has changed is that instead of that warp gate connecting to a sanctuary where the empire can regroup and get vehicles the warpgate itself has those things. This makes it easier to launch an offensive and keep people engaged on the continent. That doesn't mean it is any easier to break out of a warpgate camp. In PS1 it could be pretty brutal to be trapped in a warpgate. I don't expect that will change.

- THEREFORE you won't be able to fight over continents as if they represent actual pieces of territory themselves (in their entity) as in PS1. You'll only be able to fight WITHIN each continent
That was also true of PS1, with the exception that capturing a continent incurred a global benefit. They can have that same mechanic in PS2 without fully locking the continent. With the continent being divided into territories instead of just facilities, they could define thresholds of territory ownership within a continent that result in a continent or global benefit. There is more than one way to skin this cat.

- THEREFORE, the game loses its "global" scale - the highest exchange of territory is the exchange of facilities/territory within each continent, so the game's maximum level of territory exchange and ownership is a fight over a continent.
As above, it can retain the global scale in a different way. I am in complete agreement that there should be a reason to fight over a specific continent and do our best to dominate it. I do not believe complete domination of the continent is required. 50% of it would be a significant enough accomplishment.

I wrote about that in this thread on continental benefits and differentiation.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=36627

- Each different continent will essentially just be different backgrounds to fight on, maybe with vaguely interacting exchange of benefits, I don't know, but not ownership, strategic use and loss of ownership of continents.
That may be true if they don't add some benefits in, but the presence of footholds does not prohibit that.

I understand that the goal here is not to have whole maps unplayable at a given time. But unfortunately that's a necessary part of creating the perception of "ownership" - you need to be able to lock down and control something if you're going to perceive that you won it, and that therefore means stopping other people from using it.
You do not need to lock others out of a continent in order to claim dominance over something. If, as I detail above, they provide dominance benefits where dominance may only be a majority you still have recognition of being the dominant empire, enjoy a benefit, and have encouragement to create a larger buffer so you don't easily lose that benefit.

You can have those things without locking out the other two empires.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

thread closed.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I definitely think the game could use more continents, but I think 3 continents will be okay for a short while after launch and 4 continents will be enough to change things up. Each empire could have a single foothold globally, with the fourth continent having no footholds at all.

Remember that with the huge number of capture points (towers being similar to what bases were in PS1, outposts perhaps being more like towers were but still controlling territory), PS2's continents function much more like multiple continents from the first game. Indar will probably be at least the equivalent of 3 or 4 PS1 continents. The point being that while 3 continents at launch may be a tiny bit stifling, 4 will probably actually give more breathing room than we even had in PS1, especially if there is then only one foothold globally for each empire.

Copy pasting this mock up I did from another thread (click the picture to enlarge):

The way I see it, populations should have plenty of room to spread out as they see fit. In this mock up, there are examples of 3 way clusterfucks, large 2 way fights, and smaller 2 way fights. Obviously I could be way off on how the game actually plays out, but this is my best guess as far as what the devs intend the hex system to do, thus I think they will do everything in their power to make sure it balances out this way.

There is no reason that an empire couldn't be pushed back to their foothold in this scenario. There are two other continents that the losing empire may also be fighting on, so it is perfectly viable that they may not be able to field a strong enough force to stay in the fight. Once there are more continents, it will be nice to officially completely kick them out, but pushing them back to their foothold will do fine until then.

I think what Higby wants is for the option to fight on every continent and even on every hex to always be there. That certainly doesn't have to mean that every hex will always be fought on, or that every empire will always have a strong presence on every continent. I do think it will be rare and unlikely that 2 empires get pushed off of a continent as long as there are only 3, but I don't think it will be unheard of. I also think that having at least a 2 way war on every continent most of the time isn't particularly terrible either.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-30 at 08:18 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The whole point of the footholds is to allow you to have action on all continents, all the time, any time. You aren't locked out of a continent and forced into playing in only one or two other places.

In PS1, I loved fighting on Ceryshen. It was my favorite continent. Unfortunately as NC Cery was not an easily accessible continent during most of the time I played the game and typically VS and TR fought there. Every few days though there would be a good Cery fight. I'd prefer not to have to wait a few days to have a fight on a continent I enjoy playing on. If I want to fight on Cery every day, why shouldn't I? If you don't have footholds on every continent then some continents will be more accessible to empires than others. We'll enjoy less of the content and the world will seem smaller.

We saw that in PS1 a lot, and after fighting on Solsar and Hossin for years I was at the point where another TR invasion at Seth made me want to vomit. It got really stale and while PlanetSide had ten continents, typically only 2-3 were accessible with a battle at any given moment, and because of static sanctuary locations those were often the same set of continents every day with some minor shifts from day to day.

I much prefer access to every continent all the time, but I definitely want to see benefits for dominating each continent and provide unique incentives to fight over each one and reward us differently for fighting on one vs another.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I much prefer access to every continent all the time, but I definitely want to see benefits for dominating each continent and provide unique incentives to fight over each one and reward us differently for fighting on one vs another.
The hex system would allow you to capture territory without needing any sort of lattice link from another continent. Even if there were 4 continents and only 1 foothold globally per empire, you could still start a TR incursion into the VS home continent at any time, starting on any hex you preferred.

So I think with 4 continents, having 1 global foothold per empire and having the rest of the warpgates be broadcast warpgates, would be fine. It would just help give the home field advantage to one empire on 3 of the continents by the fact that they would never have to travel through a warp gate to spawn into that continent.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion