Prowler lock down, an unused ability? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Turning the community around 360 degrees.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-31, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Snowfake
Private

Prowler lock down, an unused ability?

I think I have seen it been used maybe 5 times since launch. Compared to the NC and VS ability which I see being used all of the time.

Do you use it?
Have you come up against it?
Have you seen it used much?
Old 2013-01-31, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: Prowler lock down, an unused ability?

I've seen it maybe once or twice that I know of, but unlike the Vanguard shield and the Magburner it's not as easy to see it from a distance (where the Prowler is likely to be bombarding you from if it's locked down).
Old 2013-01-31, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

It's one of those things where you can't see the point.

I'd much prefer to put my cert into reload or IR smoke or to reduce the timer.

OTOH, the NC and VS (NC especially) seem they would be much more useful.

Disclaimer, as always the Devs have got the data that would show whether there is any unbalance overall, and I suspect there isn't between the TR and NC while VS due to strafing is slightly better.

If that is true, if the TR special ability is buffed there may have to be a compensating nerf elsewhere.
Old 2013-01-31, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Snowfake View Post
I think I have seen it been used maybe 5 times since launch. Compared to the NC and VS ability which I see being used all of the time.

Do you use it?
Have you come up against it?
Have you seen it used much?
The Prowlers ability to Anchor is great, its just underused because people don't understand its utility.

The Prowler is used to farm infantry because of its two-shot and quick reload speed. Its often described as the definitive anti infantry tank.

Thats a misconception. The Prowler is a great tank, even at long ranges, you just need a bit more practice to figure out its firing-pattern, recoil and accuracy.
The Prowler hits like the Vanguard and with shorter re-load time (stock) as long as you land both shots.

The current refire-time is 0.5s and reload is 2.5s. With Anchored mode maxed (lvl5) the reload is decreased to ~1.25s and delivers double the DPS of a vanguard.

This means, as long as you have ammo, you can deliver enough DPS to force any tank back in 2 salvos = ~4 seconds.

I have held positions with one Prowler against 4 Magriders at long range.

The anchor mode is very situational, yes, but when it gets used, it hits hard and fast.
If you throw an ammo sunderer, reload speed cert on your main gun and a good hull-down position into the mix I can hold any location, alone, against any amount of tanks you dare throw at me.

The prowlers anchor mode is great. The only thing I would wish it had is either:

a. a radar so I don't get offensively mined while deployed
or
b. reinforced rear armor while deployed (equivalent to the side armor)

But imho the ability is balanced right now, the problem rather lies in the map design not facilitating the use of Anchor Mode very often (hence the wishes for a. or b.)

Last edited by Mietz; 2013-01-31 at 07:12 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Any MBT staying still long enough to actually make use of that ability is either farming with the zerg or dead.

Old 2013-01-31, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Canaris
Contributor
General

I've not purchased it for my Prowler and it isn't on my to get list, I prefer my Prowler on the fast and mobile side. Everytime I stop some damn fools fire rockets at me, IR smoke is far more valuable

When I get to the point of having more certs than sense I might give it a whirl but that ain't going to be for a long, long time.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-01-31 at 07:36 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SeraphC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Any MBT staying still long enough to actually make use of that ability is either farming with the zerg or dead.
Or has flanked the enemy and is not taking fire (yet). If it deploys as fast as the Sunderer it's not that bad. I've had plenty of them use it in a tank 1v1 vs my Vanguard.
Old 2013-01-31, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bloodlet
Private

I don't play TR so I wouldn't know if it has been used against me or not. When I played VS I was one of the few people who didn't use Mag burner. I found smoke much more effective at keeping me alive and mag burner felt like a gimmick ability.

When fighting NC there were times I would shoot them and their shield would be up and save them. However when I switched to NC I seem to die pretty quickly in the vanguard. I guess I haven't gotten the timing down on the shield yet or need to cert into it more or possibly need to cert more into rival combat or racer chassis so I get can get out of the line of fire before the ability wears off.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bloodlet View Post
When fighting NC there were times I would shoot them and their shield would be up and save them. However when I switched to NC I seem to die pretty quickly in the vanguard. I guess I haven't gotten the timing down on the shield yet or need to cert into it more or possibly need to cert more into rival combat or racer chassis so I get can get out of the line of fire before the ability wears off.
I would definitely recommend this. I don't know what it would do on a Vanguard, but I have the combat chassis maxed out on my Lightning and it goes about 41KPH in reverse (compared to the stock, which is snaily). Very, very handy for getting out of trouble (...unless some idiot on your side parks behind you ).
Old 2013-01-31, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bloodlet
Private

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
I would definitely recommend this. I don't know what it would do on a Vanguard, but I have the combat chassis maxed out on my Lightning and it goes about 41KPH in reverse (compared to the stock, which is snaily). Very, very handy for getting out of trouble (...unless some idiot on your side parks behind you ).
Thanks for the advice.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Lock-down is useless with out player to player collision.

EDIT: I need more coffee, I thought we were talking about MAXES.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-31 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The problem with Lockdown is that:-

a. ESFs will tear you a new A**hole like that.
b. HA's will find it immensely easier to tear you a new A**hole.
c. You need support to be able to use it, like not be alone.

(Notice how there are 2 possibilities of A**hole tearing ?)

The other empires ability allows them to use it anywhere anytime, and even when you are on your own.

That, to me, would be the only 2 gripes any TR might have with their Empire MBT special ability.
Old 2013-01-31, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

This ability will receive the traditional TR treatment. On the forums, it will be called useless and a deathtrap. Those who play TR or know other TR will rave about it in secrecy.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-01-31, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Well, in practice it turns the mobile tank, into a fixed siege cannon.

Useful, but situational. Unlike I dare say the other factions that have useful to the main role of a tank abilities.
Old 2013-01-31, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post

I actually saw a few prowlers using it semi-effectively. Out in the desert north of Quartz ridge as we pushed out. A few were locked down behind a few rocks and using the cover to spam shells into us as we crossed the desert.

I say semi-effectively because my crew flanked them and took them out at distance with the Saron. But they seemed to get a lot of kills from the zerglings that just rushed them head on... until we sniped them from the side.

Either way... it seems very situational.. and less useful overall than the Shield or even the boost.

Does it give a boost in accuracy as well? or just fire speed?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion