Outrageous Magriders and other balances - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Click here to see hamma NUDE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-26, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mordelicius
Major

Outrageous Magriders and other balances

Seriously, when are they going to fix this tank?

What kind of tank that is, literally ice skating?

Not only that, it's mountainclimbing while cornering like some sportscar.

Here's something to keep them in line with the other tanks:

- Reduce the strafing rate
- Lower the speed when it's on a steep slope.
- Lower the acceleration
- The speed should be inverse to the damage it has taken (it should apply to all tanks)

And another thing. The rocket launcher should have 6-8 base ammo. Air and Tank units are being spammed especially by Vanu.

If base amount of ammo is not increased, at the very least it should have more damage against tanks. I mean 4 ammo can take out about 1 tank (including misses/graze). If the engineer doesn't drop you an ammo, you're screwed vs. all the tank spamming.

Lastly, they should give infantry more ways to take down air units. That or increase cost. Infantry are sitting ducks against these units.

Go NC !!
Old 2012-11-26, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Outrageous Magriders and other balances

I agree prowler and vanguard will loose every 1vs1 against a magrider if the mag driver isnt a noob.
Old 2012-11-26, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
PredatorFour
Major

While your on the topic about balancing tanks why don`t we make the other empires tanks (prowler/vannie) only be able to shoot directly infront of them like the mag. Then all 3 would have turrets that can`t move, that ok?
Old 2012-11-26, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Really another one of these threads those are what make a mag rider a mag rider you nerf those it becomes useless.

Get 2 tanks or 1 tank and some HAs and that mag will go down easy or a skilled gunner in a vanguard can handle mags all day. Also I have seen lighting wolf packs chew up mag rider convoys so the only real problem is if you are using dumb fire rockets then it is a pain to hit.
Old 2012-11-26, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Qwan
Captain

Well Im sure you guys have driven a mag and gotten a feel for the stationary turret design (blame it on the designers). I mean the mag is a skilled based tank, I mean me for one i have no skills with it, but I have guys in my outfit who have tricked out there mags and are very formitable. Im sure each empire has the same type of tank drivers, Ive seen prowlers with reinforced armor as well as NC tanks with shields. I have played with each factions tanks and there is a balance point for each one if you learn it and get upgrades. I still dont like the main gun placed in front but like I said blame the designers, but the strafe on the tanks and the handling is improved with upgrades with certs, alot of guys pay these certs for better handling of there tanks and it pays off in a fight, add in armor and speed and now you have a killing machine in the right hands. Guys the mag is here to stay, I think its balanced with all the other tanks, and for them to change somthing about the straf, or speed or the ability to climb hills would piss off the guys who payed the cert points for it. Hill climbing is a cert skill for the mag.
Old 2012-11-26, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Being able to strafe in and out of cover whilst only exposing a heavily armoured low front profile is a huge advantage in any tank battle. I'm fine with that, but there should be a major drawback to balance this advantage, and there just doesn't seem to be one.
Old 2012-11-26, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Alright, let's sum this up.
Magrider can Climb.
Magrider can hover over anything. This is a Huge Bonus.
Magrider is fast. This means acceleration and stuff, and is important.
Magrider can be repaired from underneath, allowing them to stay alive for freaking ever.

Bad Points:
Magrider has less HP. Boo Hoo. One rocket less in the rear, but for Rule #1: The magrider is always facing you.
I have no data on Damage versus other Tanks, but the Splash is huge and capable of decimating infantry in two shots, on from a direct hit.

You might argue that other Tanks have Bonus abilities. The Magburner is one too, remember?

You might argue that this the good points are offset by the Magrider's fixed weapon. You ignore that the Magrider can turn on the spot, strafe without having to look where it is going, and generally stay on target while moving, despite what you people might say.

Good Points of the Magrider: 4
Bad Points of the Magrider: 1 or 2 (depending on how big a deal the HP is for you, plus I have no numbers on the damage).

Moral of the Story: The Magrider is better than you.

Last edited by EvilNinjadude; 2012-11-26 at 09:59 AM.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
You might argue that this the good points are offset by the Magrider's fixed weapon. You ignore that the Magrider can turn on the spot, strafe without having to look where it is going, and generally stay on target while moving, despite what you people might say.
Shouldn't they just slow the turning and strafing (hell, any kind of movement) down for the Magrider then?
Old 2012-11-26, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Shouldn't they just slow the turning and strafing (hell, any kind of movement) down for the Magrider then?
I am not saying that that in particular must be fixed. I am just saying that right now, the Magrider is clearly very powerful.

Devs, if you want the Magrider to be OP to compensate for, say, the Scythe's bad points, fine, but please make sure EVERYONE KNOWS.

I've had my share of deaths to VS, both in Tanks and as infantry (DIRECT ENCOUNTERS for the latter), and will soon be seeing if that has changed in any way since I last played.

My PC is shot by the way, and I don't expect this computer here to run the game, not at all.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
Seriously, when are they going to fix this tank?

What kind of tank that is, literally ice skating?

Not only that, it's mountainclimbing while cornering like some sportscar.

Here's something to keep them in line with the other tanks:

- Reduce the strafing rate
- Lower the speed when it's on a steep slope.
- Lower the acceleration
- The speed should be inverse to the damage it has taken (it should apply to all tanks)

And another thing. The rocket launcher should have 6-8 base ammo. Air and Tank units are being spammed especially by Vanu.

If base amount of ammo is not increased, at the very least it should have more damage against tanks. I mean 4 ammo can take out about 1 tank (including misses/graze). If the engineer doesn't drop you an ammo, you're screwed vs. all the tank spamming.

Lastly, they should give infantry more ways to take down air units. That or increase cost. Infantry are sitting ducks against these units.

Go NC !!
As far as balance for vehicles. I disagree... Sunderers with dual bulldogs rip all tanks and all factions can have them. You want to kill tanks get a Sunderer. Magriders are nice, but Vanguards with shields can kill Magriders... mags can't get shields.

You don't need more rocket ammo... base is 5. 1 in the chamber and 4 to resupply. You can increase that to what 7 total if you slot the munitions instead of nanoweave... so you want more rockets you need to sacrifice something. Otherwise like you said you need an engie... not hard to find.. they are usually present in every large scale battle and they have infinite ammo.

Infantry do have other options for anti-air besides rockets. It's a dual burster MAX which are pretty effective. 1 by it self isn't a huge threat, but 2-3 MAXs with dual bursters and you have some good air space denial. Once again you need engies to keep them supplied and repaired.. but a lot of engies follow MAXs for the repair exp anyway.

In the end the game wasn't meant to be played solo and you need to adapt to the situation.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
As far as balance for vehicles. I disagree... Sunderers with dual bulldogs rip all tanks and all factions can have them. You want to kill tanks get a Sunderer. Magriders are nice, but Vanguards with shields can kill Magriders... mags can't get shields.

You don't need more rocket ammo... base is 5. 1 in the chamber and 4 to resupply. You can increase that to what 7 total if you slot the munitions instead of nanoweave... so you want more rockets you need to sacrifice something. Otherwise like you said you need an engie... not hard to find.. they are usually present in every large scale battle and they have infinite ammo.

Infantry do have other options for anti-air besides rockets. It's a dual burster MAX which are pretty effective. 1 by it self isn't a huge threat, but 2-3 MAXs with dual bursters and you have some good air space denial. Once again you need engies to keep them supplied and repaired.. but a lot of engies follow MAXs for the repair exp anyway.

In the end the game wasn't meant to be played solo and you need to adapt to the situation.
Your argument: Your friends should help you/You need a crap ton of Certs, then you can handle that.

Firstly, this offloads the effort to you. You know what? Sure, I can capture a continent, all I need is A WHOLE OUTFIT. All the other guy needs to do here is Pull One Magrider, whereas what you need to do is get a BETTER rocket launcher, BETTER weapons, BETTER everything. Sure if you're far ahead in the game, but please, anyone can pull a Magrider.

And keep in mind that if I got one of those Super-Sundies, that'd require 3 people to crew. Then let's say the other side get 3 people as well.

1 Sundy vs 3 Magriders? Sure bro, whatever you say. If the Sundy still wins an even-skill head-to-head encounter here, then you can mark it down as OP DEVS FIX PLS on your list, and everyone else can do the same. Because that just doesn't even look bloody likely.

The short of it is: Your argument says: If you have Ideal Situation X, or Power Weapon Y, you HAVE A CHANCE. wow. nice going there.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

As someone who spends a lot of time in the Magrider, I think people need to use it a lot more before they go around calling it OP. I've used it a lot and my most common setup is having the Saron as my secondary gun and the anti-infantry main gun. So my 2nd gunner who's got a turret can take out tanks, and my gun is built for infantry.

The Magrider has mobility yeah, but it isn't nearly as durable as a Vanguard or even a Prowler. Strafing is nice and all, but most tank drivers can compensate for that. It's only at really long range where you can dodge attacks.

Best way to fight a Magrider? Get two HA's to flank it. The Magrider will have to face one of you, and your buddy can fire a rocket into the back. It has less armor than both the Prowler and Vanguard, and while keeping your front facing the enemy is important you're almost NEVER fighting 1 on 1. You're always up against groups.

If you were to slow the Magrider down even more you would gimp the tank. It's fine where it's at.

Edit:
Your argument: Your friends should help you/You need a crap ton of Certs, then you can handle that.

Firstly, this offloads the effort to you. You know what? Sure, I can capture a continent, all I need is A WHOLE OUTFIT. All the other guy needs to do here is Pull One Magrider, whereas what you need to do is get a BETTER rocket launcher, BETTER weapons, BETTER everything. Sure if you're far ahead in the game, but please, anyone can pull a Magrider.
Yeah tanks cost resources, you better bring good weapons if you want to stand a chance against one. Not all tanks are created equal too. Sometimes I build mine purely for fighting infantry. Sometimes it's a mix, sometimes I build my Magrider specifically to kill tanks.

And keep in mind that if I got one of those Super-Sundies, that'd require 3 people to crew. Then let's say the other side get 3 people as well.

1 Sundy vs 3 Magriders? Sure bro, whatever you say. If the Sundy still wins an even-skill head-to-head encounter here, then you can mark it down as OP DEVS FIX PLS on your list, and everyone else can do the same. Because that just doesn't even look bloody likely.
Three people in three Magriders? Those are some weak Mags with 2nd seats not being used at all. Even so, three tanks that cost 300 mechanized each should be able to kill one 400 mech sunderer.

The short of it is: Your argument says: If you have Ideal Situation X, or Power Weapon Y, you HAVE A CHANCE. wow. nice going there.
You bring the right tools for the job. That's how this game works. You equip your armor piercing rounds instead of high explosives if you want to kill tanks. You give your gunner the Walker so you can take care of air. Not every gun and every weapon is going to be ideal in every situation.

Last edited by PoisonTaco; 2012-11-26 at 10:58 AM.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
As someone who spends a lot of time in the Magrider, I think people need to use it a lot more before they go around calling it OP. I've used it a lot and my most common setup is having the Saron as my secondary gun and the anti-infantry main gun. So my 2nd gunner who's got a turret can take out tanks, and my gun is built for infantry.

The Magrider has mobility yeah, but it isn't nearly as durable as a Vanguard or even a Prowler. Strafing is nice and all, but most tank drivers can compensate for that. It's only at really long range where you can dodge attacks.

Best way to fight a Magrider? Get two HA's to flank it. The Magrider will have to face one of you, and your buddy can fire a rocket into the back. It has less armor than both the Prowler and Vanguard, and while keeping your front facing the enemy is important you're almost NEVER fighting 1 on 1. You're always up against groups.

If you were to slow the Magrider down even more you would gimp the tank. It's fine where it's at.
Rule #1: The Magrider is always facing you.
Rule #2: A Magrider seldom comes alone.
Rule #3: If Magriders push you back to your spawn, give up.

Sound like a plan? Taking out one tank with two or more people might be good. But the number of people required to flank magriders will increase further and further the more magriders there are. Exponentially, even.

Magrider is nice and OP where it's at, thank you very much.
Old 2012-11-26, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Rule #1: The Magrider is always facing you.
Rule #2: A Magrider seldom comes alone.
Rule #3: If Magriders push you back to your spawn, give up.

Sound like a plan? Taking out one tank with two or more people might be good. But the number of people required to flank magriders will increase further and further the more magriders there are. Exponentially, even.

Magrider is nice and OP where it's at, thank you very much.
1. You can't face every single target all the time. It's also a lot easier to hit the Magrider on the sides than the front. Not nearly as devastating as hitting a tank from behind, but most Mag drivers cert into front armor.
2. Magriders seldom come alone, but they hardly ever fight 1 target at a time.
3. If Magriders push you back to your spawn, your team is doing it wrong.

Yeah the more tanks they bring to a fight, the more people you to need to deal with them. Makes sense doesn't it?

Last edited by PoisonTaco; 2012-11-26 at 11:02 AM.
Old 2012-11-26, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sawboss
Private

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
1. You can't face every single target all the time.
Pretty sure this is true of all tanks.

Also I think all MBTs have the same amount of hitpoints, but need confirmation from someone with the insider low down secret connections.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion