Might be time to call for a drop pod interception device - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dont touch my signature!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-08, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Larington
Corporal

Might be time to call for a drop pod interception device

(Well, perhaps interdiction device, since interception implies the drop pod is destroyed, which I don't think is necessary)
How to destroy an enemy Sunderer in 4 easy steps:

1. Get an infiltrator to cloak up to the enemy AMS.
2. dead or alive, make the infiltrator squad lead
3. get squad members to squad spawn on the AMS with mines/C4 in hand (Engineer can carry 3 C4 btw)
4. Profit.

This is a bit too exploitable for my liking, perhaps others would disagree.

Possible solutions:
Method A:
Give the engineer a device that once deployed creates a no-go zone for drop pods. Players who begin their descent above the device are pushed off course by the device (Would be useful at the top of the tech plants and towers as well as at sunderers).

Method B:
When a Sunderer deploys, after a countdown a drop pod interceptor will spawn, mounted to the top of the spawning module asset.
Putting more ranks into the AMS certification will decrease the time it takes for the drop pod interception device to spawn or respawn.
The device has its own health, an attacking force could specifically target and destroy the device (Which begins a fresh spawn countdown) so that they can then do a squad spawn attack on the AMS.

Addendum: Light assaults might just try exiting the drop pod at V high altitude in an attempt to bypass the drop pod interception mechanic. An exit altitude limit for drop pods might be necessary.

Last edited by Larington; 2013-07-08 at 06:25 AM.
Old 2013-07-08, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Root Hade
Corporal

Re: Might be time to call for a drop pod interception device

Inspired by Section 8, how about an automatic 'player' mission bonus that alerts people in the vicinity of a drop pod (triggered the moment the player hits re/deploy and the timer starts counting down). It would warn players of incoming drop pods and if people are targetting an AMS, people will have time to switch to AA MAXs in advance and just make the whole thing more player driven instead of automatic preemptive denial.

Not sure about the AA MAX TTK against drop pods after all the balance changes though.
Old 2013-07-08, 06:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Larington
Corporal

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Section 8 anti drop pod stuff is something that shoots them down rather than pushing them off course yes? Basically, I want to try and set it up so that drop podding players are still forced to run at the AMS if they want to destroy it rather than just landing on the sunderers roof but also aren't just shot out the sky.

(Also since the resource update there's been a distinct lack of burster MAX's, a lot of my playtime has ended up with me being forced to supplement our forces with Skyguard to keep our ground forces safe-ish)

Last edited by Larington; 2013-07-08 at 07:02 AM.
Old 2013-07-08, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Was discussing this last night in the outfit voice comms after losing 2 sunders in a row to this. Basically there is no counter to defend against this, we always kill the guy that drops but so what if he still manages to take out your sunder-AMS. Ive had up to 6 guys in a row drop pod on my sunder in the past, even with full blockade they will simply drop pod an engineer with mines in the next wave.

We really need a solution to this and the OP ideas are worth considering.

Old 2013-07-08, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Klypto
Private

You could also add like 10 second cooldown to utility / explosive items when you drop in, but the intercept idea seems the best.

Has anyone had success with dual Walkers?
Old 2013-07-08, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
snafus
Sergeant Major

I simply sit at flight ceiling and shoot drop pods with my mossy when I get bored. And I have stopped many a potential AMS killer by doing this. When we have about 3 or more mossies up there we can shut down any chance of a drop pod ever making it to the ground. Be creative and get some pilots with aim and you won't have so much drop pod problems.

Old 2013-07-08, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dragonskin
Major

The cloaking device that was brought up for AMS sunderers in a previous thread would help to alleviate some of this. Currently just have to look for where the ants are coming from and you find the sunderer.. even if you don't have friendly air to spot it. If their was a cloaking device for the AMS sunderers it would make finding the exact AMS location a little harder. At least in large fight scenarios it would help since players would appear to be rendering in to view instead of coming from a sunderer like a trail of ants.

I think that players inside the AMS sunderer cloak should be able to fire while cloaked to help protect the AMS from enemies. Since we already have AMS no deploy zones just make sure that AMS sunderers can't deploy near spawn rooms. That way it can help prevent some of the down sides that would come from allowing players to stay cloaked while in combat under the AMS cloaking field. Make the cloaking field relatively small.. something like 10-20m around the AMS sunderer so you can't hide a ton of stuff under it.
Old 2013-07-08, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Sounds like an unprotected deployable spawn point to me.

As long as 1 competent person sees that drop pod, this whole issue goes away.

But as a compromise I think the easiest solution is just not allowing drop pods to land in the AMS's sphere of deployment. They just tuned that stuff for bases so maybe the Sundy can get it too. Still allows for tactics to trump a small number of spawning soldiers who don't notice anything, but the pod won't drop RIGHT ON TOP of it.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2013-07-08 at 09:27 AM.
Old 2013-07-08, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

The problem is you don't render for anyone for 5 seconds or so once your drop pod lands by then the deed is 90% done with no hope to counter .

Solution , give the pods doors you need to activate from inside to get out once your landed . This will give a pod a few seconds on the ground to be destroyed killing the occupant , or time to render and give the sundys defenders at least a shooting chance . There needs to be some counter ... atm there's none .

Last edited by Maarvy; 2013-07-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 2013-07-08, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I'd make an alt-fire mode for the spawn beacon that creates a drop pod exclusion zone.
Old 2013-07-08, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
sabek
Private

Another option is to disallow squad deploy on corpses and squadleaders in vehicles

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 2013-07-08, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
TripsJay
Private

Interesting ideas... I personally can not say this has happened to be, but I do drive sundys a lot now since the gal nerf, one recommendation I could make off the top of my head is to park under shelter, whilst I know this is not totally effective, it might help a bit and give a further warning before waves of infantry come before you from the skies. might be worth trying until some form of fix is resolved.
Old 2013-07-08, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Obstruction
First Sergeant

disallow squad deploy
seems like the answer to me. just remove it. there are plenty of other options to move troops.
Old 2013-07-09, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

or add some radius to the drop podding on squad deploy.

you don´t need to drop within 2 meters of the leader. just make it a 200m radius and you are set.

people can still get to their squad fast, just not with that much precision.

and add a make the no deploy zone of a sunderer act as a no deploy zone for droppods as well, so nobody can steer their drop pod to land directly on the sunderer with c4 in hand.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-07-09, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Obstruction
First Sergeant

people already have plenty of ways to get to their squad fast.

squad deploy is mostly used as described here, or to change leader and drop into large facilities for free capture xp, or to continue dropping in on top of a corpse well after they have been kicked out of a base. there is no limit to leaving that corpse lying around either. you could conceivably have an alt running on your kid brother's machine or dad's office rig and just leave them here and there dead, promote and shift squad to squad and drop in well after defenders move on.

it's a bad mechanic that promotes laziness in the logistical challenges of the game. i say burn it down and salt the earth. make people use vehicles or beacons.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion