Game Engine: Realistic Scope Glare - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: n00b, the other, other white meat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-10, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Realistic Scope Glare

I'm not sure I want it myself, but how about a realistic scope glare? We have a dynamic sun, so how about the sun reflection appearing only when facing the sun from 0 to 180 degree, with 90 degree being the strongest glare. This way snipers will have to get rather tactical, and their positioning will be easy to predict...

My reasoning against it is not "OMG BF3 HAD TERRIBLE SCOPE GLARE NO FUCKING WAY I WANT IT IN PS2!", but fear that it will take too much of the development time to properly program the angles and positions where there should be no glare, despite facing the sun.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Re: Realistic Scope Glare

A good scope would have enough hood surrounding the lense it wouldn't be much of a problem, but it would cramp your FOV a bit. Could simply be an upgrade where you choose between how much hood you want, and therefore your FOV vs your lense glare.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

i dislike snipers. when ever one fires i would like a way point placed over their heads until they get killed.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I dislike vehicles. I want all vehicles to get blown by a single lancer shot.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

I really like this idea; I rather disliked the scope glare in BF3, but that was due to the retarded persistence of it (Scope glare indoors, at night, etc). This system would make it important to be aware of the environment around the sniper. It would need to also take into account shadows too, so that you don't get stupid glares.

Last edited by Biohazard; 2012-04-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stardouser
Colonel

Do you want this in the same way you'd want the sun to reflect off water, or to nerf snipers so they are easier to see?
Old 2012-04-10, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

I would love reflections off of water, tank hulls, terminals, windshields, scopes on any weapon, brass. I just like reflections.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eclipse
Private

REALISTIC scope glare i wouldn't mind. Like it has been said, it would add some extra tactics and strategic thinking to the role of sniper (and spotter if binocs etc are included and are used for recon) and basic COD campers would probably (and deservedly) have this shoved in their faces by anti-sniper lookouts.

Personally i think a bigger issue than scope-glare, however, is the gigantic plume of white smoke that seems to plague games (that i know of anyway, Halo is a prime example but i'll admit i'm out of touch with more recent sniping in games) and lays a stupidly obvious trail towards your carefully-chosen location every time you make a shot.

As for whether this is even in PS2, i believe i remember in one of the GDC videos, the player was being shot at (and once was killed) by an infil who was definitely holding some kind of sniper rifle. There were smoke-trails all over there, and i just assumed they were coming from a sniper rifle because they looked so familiar.

Of course i could be wrong and it could be a moot point, but... i do NOT want a 'shoot me' arrow emanating from my rifle barrel when i'm trying NOT to get discovered and annihilated by the enemy.

Last edited by Eclipse; 2012-04-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 2012-04-14, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

I like realism and all, but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qr6lZ52-k#t=00m59s

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault