Lets steal the lightning!! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Contents may have settled during shipping.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-28, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Lets steal the lightning!!

Yes folks SOE have already made all the skins. So lets make it hackable.

Along with the sundy and the others...

Old 2012-04-28, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
The Kush
Captain

Re: Lets steal the lightning!!

No. Unless all vehicles are available to hack. This is an all or nothing for me, and at this point before beta I'm going to trust the PS devs that hacking is not the best for this game
Old 2012-04-28, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
No. Unless all vehicles are available to hack. This is an all or nothing for me, and at this point before beta I'm going to trust the PS devs that hacking is not the best for this game
^^^Agreed 100%. I was playing PS1 last night and I spawned a Galaxy Gunship at TR sanctuary. As I proceeded to pick up gunners from various bases before heading into the fray I got chased down by a few Mossies+Reavers from the VS. After they got shot down I landed to repair, and I noticed I had forgotten my glue gun, so I ran inside the base to swap. When I came back outside a VS was hacking my vehicle, and before I could kill him he hacked it and deconstructed it. Really irritating. So yeah, no hacking in PS2.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
^^^Agreed 100%. I was playing PS1 last night and I spawned a Galaxy Gunship at TR sanctuary. As I proceeded to pick up gunners from various bases before heading into the fray I got chased down by a few Mossies+Reavers from the VS. After they got shot down I landed to repair, and I noticed I had forgotten my glue gun, so I ran inside the base to swap. When I came back outside a VS was hacking my vehicle, and before I could kill him he hacked it and deconstructed it. Really irritating. So yeah, no hacking in PS2.
That's exactly the reason why every veichle should be hackable!
Old 2012-04-28, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Thoreaux
Corporal

But.... that's exactly why hacking is awesome.

What brute force could not accomplish, subterfuge did instead. PS has always been a game that rewards smarts and I'd like to see that continue, personally.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I agree, if the troops in your gal let someone hack your gal then you need to get better/more alert troops.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Redshift
Major

Better player won, tough shit :P
Old 2012-04-28, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

I'm sorry, but you just described why hacking was an excellent part of the game.

You left the vehicle long enough in one place. You have no one but yourself to blame.
Old 2012-04-28, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They disabled hacking for the same reason they disabled looting. So one empire can't grief another by spawning shit with their resources and then 'stealing' it.

Old 2012-04-28, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
That's exactly the reason why every veichle should be hackable!
That VS performed a service by destroying your vehicle. Perhaps you should have left a guard.
Old 2012-04-28, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
stordito
Staff Sergeant

i'd like to see hacking back too...
hacking was a great diversion.
hacking a bfr standing between his legs for around 40 secs, hoping he does not hear the t-rek,or sees you,or stomp you...knowing each of those would be instadeath for you...it's not that easy, i cannot see why people thinks hacking is "just annoying" and not rewarding for patience,teamplay and cool blood.
How can someone complain for a 20 sec vechile respawn time when a cloacker/hacker usually needs at least 10 minutes to get safely into action and start contribute the war?

In ps2 the empire specific vehicles will not be hackable, but common pool could be easily i don't see any problem with that.
AMS hacking was a great way of using enemy deployed AMS as a trojan horse and changing the course of a siege, do people prefer grunt face-to-face combact instead of trying to esploit enemy defenses?
Plus common pool mean everybody is able to drive them, so i can't see the problem.
Cloacker+ combact eng + hacker was the "role" i had most fun in,i can't imagine a PS2 without this role.
And i can't understand why the dumbed down the infil suit to be a sort of BF2 recon class...
Old 2012-04-28, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General

While needing to create a bunch of different skins is undoubtedly a concern, I suspect the devs are much more concerned with things like:

Will someone uncerted in AA turrets be able to drive a tank with an AA turret?

If a hacked vehicle had a custom TR skin, what skin will it have when it's hacked to be NC? What about if it's hacked back by the original owner?

Will it screw up balance to have a bunch of VS rolling in 20 hacked Vanguards?

What if the Lightning had an empire specific turret or piece of equipment?

I think it's just a lot of extra work and a big can of worms that the devs just don't even want to touch right now. I believe that most of the problems could have potential work arounds that would allow vehicle hacking to be a viable part of gameplay, but nothing about it would preclude it from being added down the road. Maybe during the 5 year plan, especially if the community shows enough interest in it, they will put the time and effort into thinking through all of the problems and doing the extra work to make it a reality.

Until such a time, I'm with The Kush, all or nothing. The lightning already having the different empire skins only solves a handful of the potential problems, and I'd much rather see a consistent and uniform system, either with hacking vehicles or without.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

what ever side-grades a vehicle has upon hacking, remain with that vehicle during its immediate life. Even if the player is not certed in that particular instants(so long as he has the base of that vehicle certed). The likely hood of 20 hacked vangards is highly unlikely. Look at our current Planetside, when have you ever seen 20+ hacked vehicles on one empire(a side from special events)?

To me that's a lame excuse for not having the ability to hack vehicles, and still remains as another milestone that the dev's have stricken down.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.

Last edited by xSquirtle; 2012-04-28 at 04:08 PM.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Haha, I love that part of Planetside. Hacking is an awesome skill, and I really hope vehicle jacking/disabling is available in some form for PS2.

On a side note, what if only Nanite Systems vehicles were hackable? I understand the "all or nothing" mentality, but if they only have empire-specific skins for the NS vehicles, maybe there could be some backstory supporting that.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
The likely hood of 20 hacked vangards is highly unlikely. Look at our current Planetside, when have you ever seen 20+ hacked vehicles on one empire(a side from special events)?
Log in to enemy empire, pull a bunch of vehicles for your team, log back to your main empire.

Even easier with F2P.

We don't even know if TR player 1. will be able to pull a customized vehicle and let TR player 2. drive it, so it's a bit early to be talking about whether an enemy would be able to do so as well.

As for being certed, it's pretty safe to say that the vast majority of players will be certed in at least the base level of every vehicle within a short time of the games launch. This is balanced by the fact that you can't fill every role at once, but you will be able to at least nominally fill every role one at a time. This further calls into doubt whether a player who can drive an AA turret equipped tank will be able to give it to someone who can only drive a basic tank.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion