Lone Wolves Rise Up! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: could use some salt.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-25, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Lone wolf
Private

Lone Wolves Rise Up!

I am a lone wolf, not by choice but because I don't have time to commit to an outfit. I play a lot and still get a lot of enjoyment out of creating havoc in the game and playing with informal drop in squads. My favorite thing to do is to drop deep into enemy terriory, mine the area with bouncing bettys and anti-tank mines, flip the base and then start picking off the enemy as I watch the chaos from afar. I can usually get a Sundy or two going as well and create a full scale battle.

But let's be honest, this game is not designed for my ilk. Organized squads will always win on the ground and the rest of us are just cannon fodder stumbling around trying to keep up.

I would like to see the designers do more to help lone wolves organize and I think it would help improve the game for us all. Maybe better incentives for successfully leading drop-in squads and completing missions with scrubs. It takes a skilled leader to organize noobs and lone wolfs and actually make something happen, they should benefit from it.

Would like to hear from all of you lone wolves out there. I know that there are a ton of us. Any ideas on how to improve our lot? Would also like to hear your stories and strategies on how you get by as a lone wolf in the field.

Last edited by Lone wolf; 2013-03-25 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2013-03-25, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
CzuukWaterson
Sergeant

Re: Lone Wolves Rise Up!

Originally Posted by Lone wolf View Post
I am a lone wolf, not by choice but because I don't have time to commit to an outfit. I play a lot and still get a lot of enjoyment out of creating havoc in the game and playing with informal drop in squads. My favorite thing to do is to drop deep into enemy terriory, mine the area with bouncing bettys and anti-tank mines, flip the base and then start picking off the enemy as I watch the chaos from afar. I can usually get a Sundy or two going as well and create a full scale battle.

But let's be honest, this game is not designed for my ilk. Organized squads will always win on the ground and the rest of us are just cannon fodder stumbling around trying to keep up.

I would like to see the designers do more to help lone wolves organize and I think it would help improve the game for us all. Maybe better incentives for successfully leading drop-in squads and completing missions with scrubs. It takes a skilled leader to organize noobs and lone wolfs and actually make something happen, they should benefit from it.

Would like to hear from all of you lone wolves out there. I know that there are a ton of us. Any ideas on how to improve our lot? Would also like to hear your stories and strategies on how you get by as a lone wolf in the field.
You don't have to play a lot of if you find the right outfit. Your skills would still be put to better use in coordination with somebody.
Old 2013-03-25, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

You should definitely get together with some other lone wolves and work togther.
Old 2013-03-25, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

i play lone wolf most of the time, but I dont really see what your asking as being the best use of developer efforts.

There are pleanty of outfits around that wont require you to be on more than you want.
Old 2013-03-25, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

I am somewhat a Lone Wolf in Planetside 2 because it doesn't support the proper teamplay and coordination required to manage the battles due to their massive size. I do believe SOE is doing everything they can to improve this but like all good things, they take time. That doesn't mean I can't still try to play specialized roles as part of a unit even when I feel like farming or hanging back a bit. If my platoon is heading from a tower to a nearby hill to rush the Sundy sitting behind it, sometimes I prefer to hang out up over them with the dual Bursters I pulled 3 minutes prior and provide some air cover or grab my AV Turret and go to town. I still play with my PS1 outfit because they are solid players and we have fun, I think that every lone wolf should at least try to find a group that they mesh well with.
Old 2013-03-25, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Old 2013-03-25, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Twasta
Contributor
Corporal

The only problem I have as a lone wolf is outfits who shit all over me simply because I'm not a member. Throwing me out of an almost empty sunderer in the middle of nowhere, teamkilling me, not reviving me, et al.. I dislike most outfits on Miller due to this. I'm just trying to be helpful. If you dont want me to roll with your people, just tell me your reasoning for why I would disrupt your ability to fight effectively and I will take my leave.
Yesterday was one of the few days were I actually had fun riding with a bunch of dudes who had got together to zerg (can I name the outfit?). I remained with a single sunderer for an hour, got kills, conquered/defended bases, helped and had fun. That's when being a lone wolf is enjoyable. But not if the outfits treat you like a second class citizen.
That's the only issue I personally have. Apart from that the game is enormous fun.

Old 2013-03-25, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Twasta View Post
The only problem I have as a lone wolf is outfits who shit all over me simply because I'm not a member. Throwing me out of an almost empty sunderer in the middle of nowhere, teamkilling me, not reviving me, et al.. I dislike most outfits on Miller due to this. I'm just trying to be helpful. If you dont want me to roll with your people, just tell me your reasoning for why I would disrupt your ability to fight effectively and I will take my leave.
Yesterday was one of the few days were I actually had fun riding with a bunch of dudes who had got together to zerg (can I name the outfit?). I remained with a single sunderer for an hour, got kills, conquered/defended bases, helped and had fun. That's when being a lone wolf is enjoyable. But not if the outfits treat you like a second class citizen.
That's the only issue I personally have. Apart from that the game is enormous fun.
Yeah I try to snuff out any elitist BS in the squads I play in. We are an empire working towards a common goal, and we should act that way.
Old 2013-03-25, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

As a mostly lone wolf player I don't understand this request. If I wanted to squad up with other people I wouldn't be a lone wolf.

Never felt like cannon fodder in PS1 or PS2. If I found myself in such a situation it was because I'd made a poor choice. The keys to being a successful lonewolf in any PvP MMO is being able to pick your fights. There's generally two paths offered along these lines in every MMO, speed or stealth. Stealth is a little lacking in PS2 but the option is still there and slowly getting better. Speed has been supreme with ESFs although that's slowly getting weaker, but is definitely not weak.

Even as part of the "zerg" if you play smartly you shouldn't be cannon fodder, the game isn't very complex you know what needs to be done to help your side win, just adapt to what both friendlies and enemies are doing around you, it's not hard.

Honestly lone wolf and casual players do not have it bad in PS2, if anything the game needs to be made more strategic and reward organized gameplay more than it currently does. That doesn't mean lone wolves need to be shat on, there's changes that could be made that would help both smart lone wolf players and organized outfits. Removing or giving counters to all the IFF crutches for instance, such as radar. This would empower small organized teams and lone wolves alike vs the zerg.

Last edited by Helwyr; 2013-03-25 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2013-03-25, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sifer2
Major

Honestly I find it's the opposite. If anything the game is designed too heavily towards the solo player side of things. Weapon balance is very clearly more an more balanced on 1v1 scenario's. I think it's actually easier to pull in more xp just bouncing from hotspot to hotspot where your Empire is winning solo. Until they put in ways for Outfits to make lasting impacts on the game I don't think we will see that change.
Old 2013-03-25, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Twasta View Post
The only problem I have as a lone wolf is outfits who shit all over me simply because I'm not a member. Throwing me out of an almost empty sunderer in the middle of nowhere, teamkilling me, not reviving me, et al.. .

Isnt that the reason we carry C4?
Old 2013-03-25, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

Really I think a lot of the Sundy locking would be resolved if you could just lock individual seats. I can't tell you how many times I've had to lock my Sundy because the idiot in seat 2 or 3 decides to take potshots at a tank that hasn't noticed me as I drive by, drawing its fire, and almost always resulting in my death, where I could have easily escaped.
Old 2013-03-26, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Falcon_br
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Isnt that the reason we carry C4?
Hehehe, this remember me when I got kicked out of a sunderer in the middle of nowhere so one member of the outfit could go in.

2 c4 blocks, 700 certs, 200 infantry resources.
Decimator, 700 SC
Team killing a full sunderer in the middle of nowhere
Priceless!

1 day weapon lock!

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-03-26, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Silent Thunder View Post
Really I think a lot of the Sundy locking would be resolved if you could just lock individual seats. I can't tell you how many times I've had to lock my Sundy because the idiot in seat 2 or 3 decides to take potshots at a tank that hasn't noticed me as I drive by, drawing its fire, and almost always resulting in my death, where I could have easily escaped.
This....

The main reason my outfit kicks out randoms is because they will take shots when we are trying to sneak by enemies. Other then that, its just we have times where we have a full squad or two going and so we lock it to preserve seats for our members. Once the seat locking system is put in we will probably run alot more open vehicles.
Old 2013-03-26, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Twasta
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Silent Thunder View Post
I'm one of those sundy gunners who never fires unless it gives a clear tactical advantage. Blazing away at anything hostile upon sighting is an idiotic move and I feel your pain. I lost my fair share of sunderers to such numbnuts.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion