Offline leveling - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the site for people who dream to get married on a H.A.R.T
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-07, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SKYeXile
Major General

Offline leveling

just stated in the live steam, now we dont know much about the details so its probably too soon to start freaking out, BUT IM FREAKING OUT.

its one of the reasons i never played EVE, its not welcoming to new players at all, its one of the amazing things about the current planetside, a new player can go toe-toe with a vet, and eventlly catch up with them in level and power, with offline leveling like eve and perpetuum, it never happens.

say no to offline leveling.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Re: Offline leveling

I don't really like the idea either. I can't think of any purpose it would serve.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raymac
Brigadier General

Wouldn't it help those players that have time commitments and can't put in as many game hours keep up with people that can play nearly 24/7?
Old 2011-07-07, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
crunchBWZ
Private

Plus, one of the differences between PS and other MMO's is that players compete because the weapons are balanced, so even a level 1 player can get a weapon that can kill a maximum level character. You can't compare EVE with Planetside at all, unless they make an economy and you have to buy your bullets.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Surge72
Corporal

I didn't like the sound of it at first, but on reflection it may be a good thing.

Also, time based leveling means that 'free to play' is very very unlikely, which is good news!
Old 2011-07-07, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Wouldn't it help those players that have time commitments and can't put in as many game hours keep up with people that can play nearly 24/7?
Yeah, if you're forced to use the system, but ideally...

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
its one of the reasons i never played EVE, its not welcoming to new players at all, its one of the amazing things about the current planetside, a new player can go toe-toe with a vet, and eventlly catch up with them in level and power
...that gulf never exists at all.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SKYeXile
Major General

i can really only judge off PS1, but time commitment?

once a player is BR18, they're on a totally even footing with any other character, its just the versitity that higher level character has, but goodluck, carring your: jackhammer, decmater, thumper, a pack of boomers, while flying around in a reaver with a vanguard strapped underneath it, while repairing it with your loadstar.

even before level 18, they're practically on an even footing, there is really not a time commitment with PS1 to stay "competitive" with other players like in other mmos.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Raymac
Brigadier General

i can really only judge off PS1, but time commitment?

once a player is BR18, they're on a totally even footing with any other character, its just the versitity that higher level character has, but goodluck, carring your: jackhammer, decmater, thumper, a pack of boomers, while flying around in a reaver with a vanguard strapped underneath it, while repairing it with your loadstar.

even before level 18, they're practically on an even footing, there is really not a time commitment with PS1 to stay "competitive" with other players like in other mmos.
I'm sorry, I meant keeping up with leveling skills, not in being competitive on the battlefield. One of the basic foundations of Planetside is that a brand new player could stand toe to toe with a long time veteran, the only difference is versatility like you said. I don't think they'd want to break that.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sirisian
Colonel

I don't think anyone's going to disagree with you here. The idea of offline training might be just to awkwardly push in micro-transactions into a subscription game?

Yeah those same people can subscribe and not play the game to unlock things. That makes sense. Rewarding people for time subscribed is almost totally against the idea of Planetside. The veteran stuff wasn't really even necessary. The equal footing argument is what made the game sweet.

Then again we don't know what the "skills" are. They used the word skills and they used the word certifications I believe. Kind of odd.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

yea i only caught glipses of the steam, but i know they plnned to have weapon upgrades and shit all built from resources captured from controlling land, whole thing sounds really complicated with many layers. I think they established planetsides learning curve was high, eves was higher, and with planetside 2 they want the game to be so complex nobody knows WTF is going on including SOE, but thats nothing new.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
etheral
Corporal

yea i only caught glipses of the steam, but i know they plnned to have weapon upgrades and shit all built from resources captured from controlling land, whole thing sounds really complicated with many layers. I think they established planetsides learning curve was high, eves was higher, and with planetside 2 they want the game to be so complex nobody knows WTF is going on including SOE, but thats nothing new.
Planetside's learning curve was high? You better be trollin' there son.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by etheral View Post
Compared to CoD and getting a gun in a death match it is. Took me a few months to get a handle on the game.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by etheral View Post
no, most people that say they tried planetside said they had no idea wtf is going on or how to get to a fight. Planetside is certainly harder to pickup and play than say BF or COD type shooter.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

If I'm listening to this right.. You unlock certs by playing(Battle ranks?). Then you train the certs while offline..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqzK9...ailpage#t=534s

Here's where he discusses it. Please tell me I don't understand what he's talking about. I don't like the direction this is heading at all. This is 100x worse than the cert system in PS.. There at least I could forget something once a day. I really do not care about this advancement crap..

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-07 at 11:33 PM.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
etheral
Corporal

no, most people that say they tried planetside said they had no idea wtf is going on or how to get to a fight. Planetside is certainly harder to pickup and play than say BF or COD type shooter.
True, it does have a higher learning curve than BF or COD, but by the standards of MMOs it was absolutely piss easy to learn.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion