PSU: R.I.P. 10six
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-04-30, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
TheMozFather
Private

Low profile graphics card

I currently have a low profile computer only capable of fitting a card the size of the 5450, with PS2 on the horizon i would like to gain some feedback as to whether there are any other cards similar in size with better performance. I understand that while a certain card may be low profile it doesn't necessarily mean it will fit my computer, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Low profile graphics card

What do you have for a PSU in that. Was it a prebuilt like from Dell or HP?

This 6750 is looking like the best performer you can get currently. You need the proper PSU for it first though.

If you do not have the proper PSU this 6670 will have to do the job.

I couldn't find any Nvidia alternatives. There has been some in the last couple years, but all are out of production now.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-04-30 at 08:33 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheMozFather
Private

The computer is an Acer Aspire X3200, so it will just have the stock PSU.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

What do you have for a processor in this?
Old 2012-04-30, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheMozFather
Private

AMD 9650 Quad-Core ~2.3GHz
Old 2012-04-30, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Phenom wasn't the best CPU released, but it can still play games obviously. Have you given any thoughts to saving money for a new rig? $100 is a premium for even a 6670. You can get a 7700 series for a few bucks more that perform nearly twice as good.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
TheMozFather
Private

I haven't really considered a new rig. Although thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated. I will certainly look in to the 6670, it seems like the best option for me and my current hardware. Plus, if that means running PS2 any better then i'm all for it.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

We still do not know what it will take to run PS2. For all we know your current setup will be limited to medium/low settings. All I'm saying is for $600-$700 you can get a far better machine that doesn't have the low profile limitation. Investing $100 in that machine of yours isn't a good investment IMO.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
TheMozFather
Private

I completely understand the limitations of a low profile machine. Plus, i could be limited to medium/low settings, you're right, although with a 6670 i can certainly run it better than i can now with a 5450. It just seems like the quickest and easiest solution for the time being.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Not trying to poke here, but do you just not have the funds for such a setup or not sure if you can do a custom rig on your own? If you like small footprint type cases we can be sure to get you one. Anyway enjoy the new card.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
TheMozFather
Private

Not enough funds for such a setup, although building a custom rig is no problem.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Alright cool. 6670 seems the best fit for now due to that obviously.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ailos
Contributor
Major

According to Acer's specs, your desktops come with onboard NVidia 8200 with an optional discrete 8400 card in Hybrid SLI mode. Did you previously swap it out for the 5450?

Also, the PSU in that thing is specified as a 220 W supply. That doesn't give a whole lot of room for improvement, however, this GT 430 may also be an option since that 6670 is too high for the 220 W (it requires 400W supply minimum).

Alternatively, you may also throw in an extra $75 and also upgrade the PSU to this one, giving you plenty of headroom to get that 6670 - but at this point price may be becoming somewhat of an issue, but if you're really strep for cash, you can sell your used old used PSU (that presumably still works) on eBay and make most of your money back.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-04-30, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheMozFather
Private

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
According to Acer's specs, your desktops come with onboard NVidia 8200 with an optional discrete 8400 card in Hybrid SLI mode. Did you previously swap it out for the 5450?

Also, the PSU in that thing is specified as a 220 W supply. That doesn't give a whole lot of room for improvement, however, this GT 430 may also be an option since that 6670 is too high for the 220 W (it requires 400W supply minimum).

Alternatively, you may also throw in an extra $75 and also upgrade the PSU to this one, giving you plenty of headroom to get that 6670 - but at this point price may be becoming somewhat of an issue, but if you're really strep for cash, you can sell your used old used PSU (that presumably still works) on eBay and make most of your money back.
Yes, I have switched the previous card for the 5450. However, the system specifications for the 5450 also state '400 Watt or greater power supply recommended' and it's been working absolutely fine.
Old 2012-04-30, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TheMozFather View Post
Yes, I have switched the previous card for the 5450. However, the system specifications for the 5450 also state '400 Watt or greater power supply recommended' and it's been working absolutely fine.
What loads are we talking about here? Original StarCraft or BattleField 3?

If the latter, I'm surprised that thing runs at all - I'd expect everything to slow to a crawl.

Either way, you're going to need to pump more juice through that thing to give you a decent experience in PS2.

EDIT: Also, your 5450 has a TDP rating of just 19 W (Thanks to Rbstr for reminding me about that). The 430 has a TDP of 49 W while the 6670 is at 66 W. You might be able to get away with using this PSU instead but you should really consider giving it more juice than just 220 W that are in there.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-04-30 at 02:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum