A10-5800K APU, Anybody Tried it yet? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where real men wage war with flashlights in bright purple jump suits.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-15, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrSmegz
Sergeant

A10-5800K APU, Anybody Tried it yet?

My Brother in law is getting his computer rebuilt for his Xmas present form me this year. He has expressed some interest in playing PS2 with me and was considering getting him an A10-5800K APU.

His monitor is only 1600x900, and he wont really need any eye candy. He is not really a hardcore player but just wants to fool around with some games, even if he has to run the games at 720p.

TLDR: I was just curious if anybody has tried the A10 (by itself, no Xfire) and what their experience was, what settings you could play at, and if it was even playable?
Old 2012-11-15, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: A10-5800K APU, Anybody Tried it yet?

I read on the official forums that a player was playing the game on the laptop version of the 5800K. No idea on what settings, but he made it sound playable.
Old 2012-11-19, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warruz
Sergeant

By itself i imagine it would be unplayable while i have not tired the A10 series i have played with the A8, the higher end laptop versions come with a discrete card also that you crossfire with the APU when you need the power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3224-17.html
Skyrim benchmarks

The real question is do they have a graphics card as of now and what is it?

Last edited by Warruz; 2012-11-19 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2012-11-22, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Yep, it's not up it alone. I managed to make the game run the game couple of times yseterday but it crashes soon. Or it could be something with Wine since i'm on ubuntu or it could be the game itself... but i doubt it. There are some weird flickers on the main screen so it's gotta to be that this integrated card can't manage it on it's own (talking about low settings of course).

TLDR: not playable.

p.s. also if anyone knows what would work good for ps2 with this card. i heard that crossfire can behave badly on some games and become a nuisance rather than good thing.... but still it seems a waste not to use that potential if it can work fine. what discrete card would you recomend with it (low mid end class)?

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-22 at 07:07 AM.
Old 2012-11-22, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Yep, it's not up it alone. I managed to make the game run the game couple of times yseterday but it crashes soon. Or it could be something with Wine since i'm on ubuntu or it could be the game itself... but i doubt it. There are some weird flickers on the main screen so it's gotta to be that this integrated card can't manage it on it's own (talking about low settings of course).

TLDR: not playable.

p.s. also if anyone knows what would work good for ps2 with this card. i heard that crossfire can behave badly on some games and become a nuisance rather than good thing.... but still it seems a waste not to use that potential if it can work fine. what discrete card would you recomend with it (low mid end class)?
No attempts with Windows at all? I read the laptop version was playable is all, even Llano was and I think Trinity would do at least as well.

For crossfire if you are using that 5800K, I think the top card you can use crossfire with is the 6670. No idea on how good the APU crossfire is either or if it even supports PS2. Sounds like normal crossfire does now though.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
No attempts with Windows at all? I read the laptop version was playable is all, even Llano was and I think Trinity would do at least as well.

For crossfire if you are using that 5800K, I think the top card you can use crossfire with is the 6670. No idea on how good the APU crossfire is either or if it even supports PS2. Sounds like normal crossfire does now though.

I was playing w/ my i5-3570K yesterday, shut it down to 2 cores, and was playing w/ the CPU clock while in game. I have a EVGA GTX670 FTW card running at 1440x900, on medium settings.

On two cores the game didn't really start to become unplayable until i was under about 2.7ghz. At 2.5ghz it was pretty painful. Since you can get a Pentium 3.0ghz SB CPU for around $75, somebody is probably better off spending the extra $50 on a 6670 GDDR5 with dedicated ram, (or buying a used GPU from a forum) than you are getting an APU.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post

Nope, if it's a system thing then someone will surely figure out how to set it up properly sooner or later. don't have much time to game anyway so i can wait for awhile. perhaps laptop version had installed discrete gpu along with the one in apu (they usually do).

yes it says on the cpu box that 6570 and 6670 are optimal but perhaps even stronger gpus from 6000 series can work with it. i will search that up...

edit: actually my crashes were cause by wine (menu error described here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...th-wine.47255/) so the integreated gpu might work fine after all. i will try to set it up properly and report back if i suceed...

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2012-11-22, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Re: Update

I managed to fix the wine issue and set the prefix correctly and now game is playable. On first launch however there were some gpu issues on the main selection screen and game froze after the first launch - it showed blue sky and few rocks on it and then it got stuck. however on second try i got spawned in a base and could move around, shoot, access terminals etc... haven't done any fighting yet (i was playing for like 5 mins anyway just to make sure it works). after that i logged out to main screen and there were no more weird gpu relic flashes that showed earlier (I guess it needed some time to warm up or something), this was all on lowest setting ofc. anyway i will report back after testing it more (will try higher settings too) but so far it seems it's works.

tldr: playable!

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-22 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2012-11-23, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

This thread has given me the idea to try running PS2 with my crossfired 5770s in Mint 14.

On a more direct note, I've run this game with a Llano A6-3450 and it's playable, so a Trinity A10 would probably be more than playable in Windows 7.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-11-24, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
This thread has given me the idea to try running PS2 with my crossfired 5770s in Mint 14.

On a more direct note, I've run this game with a Llano A6-3450 and it's playable, so a Trinity A10 would probably be more than playable in Windows 7.
With no discrete GPU? Only the integrated one?

**** ! i'VE JUST TESTED MY FPS AND IT'S PRETTY BAD actually. Around 15-20 or a bit more - that would mean unplayable in FPShooter terms. Seems Smegz was right if this readout is right, (I haven't played anything so long I don't even know what it means a good performance) It seems that i will have to install windows 7 again if that means getting a better performance. (and i've really tried to remain on the good side ) I will try installing Windows 7 on my old HDD and report back how it went

Anyway PS2 is the only game i'm interested in playing for the moment (and it was awhile when i played something as I said, almost a year or so) so it would interest me very much how the crossfire fares in PS2.

Ok, I will try installing Win7 on my old HDD and report back how it went.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-24 at 03:41 PM.
Old 2012-11-25, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
With no discrete GPU? Only the integrated one?

**** ! i'VE JUST TESTED MY FPS AND IT'S PRETTY BAD actually. Around 15-20 or a bit more - that would mean unplayable in FPShooter terms. Seems Smegz was right if this readout is right, (I haven't played anything so long I don't even know what it means a good performance) It seems that i will have to install windows 7 again if that means getting a better performance. (and i've really tried to remain on the good side ) I will try installing Windows 7 on my old HDD and report back how it went

Anyway PS2 is the only game i'm interested in playing for the moment (and it was awhile when i played something as I said, almost a year or so) so it would interest me very much how the crossfire fares in PS2.

Ok, I will try installing Win7 on my old HDD and report back how it went.
Well, that was during one of the beta periods, right after they did some optimization and before they started stress testing the servers. When I say playable, I mean 30-40 fps in most places, but come anywhere close to the crown and it'd drop to single digits. Still, I could dog-fight in my reaver just fine. System specs there: A6-3650 with HD6530D and 4GB of DDR3-1600.

However, now with release, performance has taken a big hit - I suspect largely because I play on Matherson (which is always full). Regardless, even my i5-3570K with two cross fired 5770s struggles to go above 30 FPS. Now I'm looking at buying a 670 (or even a pair of them) on Monday. So once I get that in, I'll just buy another case and rebuild my older Phenom setup with the two 5770s and see how they do in WINE.

As far as crossfire in windows, I can tell you that my personal experience so far is that it makes a difference for the better, especially if you do some clever tweaking in CCC. However, I am still looking to get away from AMD, because (david vs Goliath arguments aside) the driver is just horrible at handling cross fired profiles of games they haven't bothered looking at (read:PS2) - the driver crashes frequently, and three quarters of the time, the game crashes with it.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-11-25 at 12:09 AM.
Old 2012-11-25, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
Well, that was during one of the beta periods, right after they did some optimization and before they started stress testing the servers. When I say playable, I mean 30-40 fps in most places, but come anywhere close to the crown and it'd drop to single digits. Still, I could dog-fight in my reaver just fine. System specs there: A6-3650 with HD6530D and 4GB of DDR3-1600.

However, now with release, performance has taken a big hit - I suspect largely because I play on Matherson (which is always full). Regardless, even my i5-3570K with two cross fired 5770s struggles to go above 30 FPS. Now I'm looking at buying a 670 (or even a pair of them) on Monday. So once I get that in, I'll just buy another case and rebuild my older Phenom setup with the two 5770s and see how they do in WINE.

As far as crossfire in windows, I can tell you that my personal experience so far is that it makes a difference for the better, especially if you do some clever tweaking in CCC. However, I am still looking to get away from AMD, because (david vs Goliath arguments aside) the driver is just horrible at handling cross fired profiles of games they haven't bothered looking at (read:PS2) - the driver crashes frequently, and three quarters of the time, the game crashes with it.
Are you playing at 1080p? That might be a bit much for a 5770. I have the same CPU and a single 670 like you want to get. Big fights will still spike down to the 30's, but never stay consternation below 40.
Old 2012-11-25, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

win7 ftw. i now have fps around 30 with all settings set at medium.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-25 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2013-11-21, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
zsx
Private

I've gotten to test this with a few different setups as i've upgraded my cpu over the past year from an A6-5400K with 8gb 1600Mhz ram and a old 320gb HDD to a [email protected] with 7970@1050Mhz/1500Mhz and 1tb seagate HDD on windows 8.
I remember that even on the A6 the game was slightly playable note i had it OC'd to 4.3GHz or 4.2GHz can't remember witch one but that was like a constant 10fps on low like super low@1280x1024. When i upgraded to the A10 i noticed significant impromments roughly 20fps on the highest preset at the time ,high, this was with a 4.5GHz overclock@1280x1024 that i achieved with a hyper 212 cooler no prob. I have tried time and time again to push my processor over 4.5GHz but it always results in blue screens or other strange issues. Recently I managed to get it to 4.6GHz but I had to increase the vcore to an insane 1.6v not sure if all A10s are as limited as mine this worked but i started to notice after a day or two some issues so i went back to 4.5GHz. A few months later i got a asus radeon 7770 ghz edition with 2GB GDDR5 i noticed that that also made a nice improvement in my fps 30fps on ultra setting that now existed this was on the 1080p monitor i got several months after getting the 7770.
as of this november i get about 20-30 fps in the biggest battles but it feels relatively smooth specs are as follows.
cpu: [email protected]
mobo: F2A85-v pro
memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 dual channel OC'd@1866MHz 10-11-11-28
storage: 1Tb seagate 7200RPM
GPU: gigabyte 7970 3GB GDDR5 reference cooler design this card seems to overclocks very well got 1200MHz core/ 1600MHz mem but i had to up the voltage and it was a bit to much for my psu that is in great need of an upgrade
PSU: thremaltake tr-2 500W probably going to upgrade to a corsair rm850 or ax850i i want to make sure i have plenty of headroom if i want to crossfire 7970s
some optimizations that helped me with my lag problems:
unpark cpu optimization seems to help a lot
large link address aware(not really that much use anymore)
set timer resolution
Old 2012-11-25, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I get ~20fps in fights with an i5-750 (the original generation) and my GTX570. It's almost always CPU bound and it really doesn't matter what graphical level I'm on.

Dropping big money on graphics cards for this game is a bad idea. A 670 is great if you're playing other games and enough for PS2, two won't give you anything.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum