Bridges - I like them, but is there a point to them? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf the "u" key.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-08-14, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kipper
Captain

Bridges - I like them, but is there a point to them?

I've just watched the video in the TB tower thread (http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=47017) and wanted to talk about bridges, in particular:

I like what I see in the video - I think everything is going to be a lot less samey with potential for varied types of combat inside and around facilities and just out in the open too.

Bridges concerns me slightly though - I love a good bridge battle, they can get pretty epic as you try to cross, or stop people from crossing what is often something with very little cover and very few places to hide on it. You can try and flank the enemy by either finding what's usually long way round, or by a risky air drop where most people will die but you might end up being lucky and taking out some or all of the defenders, to allow your side to cross.

So here's the concern. Few to none of these bridges appear to span anything that's actually impassable - so why am I going to fight to cross a bridge when it looks as though 95% of the time, I can just walk/take a vehicle down into a small ravine and up the other side? How am I going to defend a bridge (and why would I bother) when denying the use of it to my enemy isn't slowing them down or forcing them to use a significantly longer route or air units to get to where they want?

To me, it seems they need either some water, or at the very least, some steep edges so that if you're in the canyon, you can't drive a vehicle back out of it - maybe with some that are short enough to allow LA to jump out, but some shouldn't be - these canyons should be areas that you don't generally want to be in if you're trying just to get to the other side, imo. (but you might want to be in if you're wanting to get to wherever it leads without being seen).

Also - although I'm not in beta and haven't seen all the streams - it would seem (at least so far) that there are no hexes that are defined by strategically important bridges - as in, a couple of buildings; maybe a vehicle pad or spawn but where the main feature is a bridge with one or several capture points.

And finally - It may be nice to see if you could take out a bridge, either as you retreat from one you lost, or as a strategic play to cut off reinforcements to another facility your faction is attacking/defending. Of course they should self repair slowly, and/or have the option for engineers to bring them back up - but this is one piece of destructible environment that I think would enhance the strategic side.

Last edited by Kipper; 2012-08-14 at 11:33 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion