News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your one stop shop for geeks, freaks, and squeek!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Can we get some more info about hack prevention? It was mentioned in a Q&A that you guys would be implementing one into PS2. Seems there's a lot of concern here about F2P and hackers.
We will be using external (3rd party) and our own stuff. We're taking it seriously.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
We will be using external (3rd party) and our own stuff. We're taking it seriously.
V-V-F
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
If it's direct translation of Chinese then sheesh...

but that Alien Invasion thing... I'm fucking lawling. I hope this isn't another WAR, where it was all exciting at first and then it went down the shitter real quick the minute they started messing with PvE too much, and I don't mean to be a pessimist but... the minute they start implementing PvE, this game is going to die and you can quote me on that because i'll gladly say casually "I told you so"
just to be clear all this invasion stuff is in the distant post-launch future and the community will be fully involved with what we do (assuming we decide to move that direction). Planetside will always be a PvP game and it's core.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
FIREk
Captain

I only hope you're not planning on using Punkbuster - that's just useless. It's both funny and sad when you see cheat sites that ensure that their visible cheat overlays get disabled the moment Punkbuster tries to make a snapshot... For $20 per month (yeah, cheats run on a subscription nowadays) I'm sure cheat-makers are always two steps ahead from common, run-of-the-mill anti-cheat solutions...

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-08 at 03:59 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
Again, could you please clarify if the beta is US only or also playable by people in the EU? Thanks!
*When* the beta happens (i.e. when it's ready) it will most likely start with an English beta.. that doesn't mean NA only though with other languages and locales to follow. Let us get the beta ready first. We have a ways to go.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Sanoskay View Post
im not stating that it be garbage i just stated it just opens up to hackers. i mean we don't know down the line if the program that dev of planetside 2 will work or if they are actually dedicated teams to detect aim botters like i stated before that i know Global Agend don't affiliate with them and not to compare to them but hi-rez granted to their consumers they had a program and a team to detect aim botters i had a clan mate of mine threaten by a GM to get his account band for abuse of the reporting system of a obvious hacker in a match and yet the hacker still plays on. and as soon as hi-rez switch to F2p and putting out pay to tokens to buy gear more hackers filled the game
F2P has nothing whatsoever to do with hacking. We just need to have resources dedicated to the issue which I'm stating categorically we will.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Shogun
Contributor
General

hooray for the man with the fire extinguisher!
Old 2011-09-08, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

As long as that 3rd party is not Game Guard. Any game using that is actually more prone to getting hacked, and the software screws up your computer :/
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Not unless every gun you can buy, you can also earn in the game.

Exclusive Station Cash Guns is what im worried about. Some guns that can only be purchased through Station cash that have a sort of advantage the others done.
Not sure I agree with you. If we have Black guns (this is an example please don't take it literally.. just making a point) and have the exact same gun but it's Gray.... I don't think that's bad at all. There are a lot of ways to make this work fairly.

I suspect we will rotate things in and out of different categories over time too.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Raymac
Brigadier General

Considering the "unpleasantness" that Sony had a few months ago at the hands of hackers, I'm not too worried about their current focus on security.

Old 2011-09-08, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Not sure I agree with you. If we have Black guns (this is an example please don't take it literally.. just making a point) and have the exact same gun but it's Gray.... I don't think that's bad at all. There are a lot of ways to make this work fairly.

I suspect we will rotate things in and out of different categories over time too.
Sure, but that would be a cosmetic difference rather than a power difference I think he was aiming for.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
NCLynx
Major

That's pure aesthetic though. As long as it stays that way I doubt many people care. Like I said earlier, pink jackhammers and Bags wants Ponyhammers. That shoot rainbows.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
As long as that 3rd party is not Game Guard. Any game using that is actually more prone to getting hacked, and the software screws up your computer :/
lol. I've heard hating on Punkbuster and Gameguard.

Here's the reality - it will take a combination approach. We have one large advantage - this is a client/server game. We can double check a lot of things on the server. C

also technology has significantly advanced in this area since the Planetside 1 days.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Shogun
Contributor
General

sure, if the exclusive gun is only different in a cosmetic way, its ok. let people buy unique character outfits and weaponskins, just dont sell exclusive guns with special stats whatsoever.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
FIREk
Captain

It kind of sounds like you will be able to pay to shortcut your way towards a weapon cert, which would normally take half a year of unlocking to get. Which is a cool thing, since you can then improve other, more practical certs.

I wonder, though... Would the cash shop gun be unlocked forever for $5 (like in TF2), or "leased" (like in APB), for instance for $1 per month...

If you're not planning on selling new content (like new continents) as expansions, the "buy forever" approach may end up leaving nothing to drain money out of veteran players with.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion