Religion - Page 22 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now introducing new Diet PSU. And Lemon Twist PSU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-20, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #316
TheSHiFT
Staff Sergeant

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
Those aren't equivalent at all, and an absolutely absurd argument. The default position is the negative (i.e. there are no unicorns, leprechauns, fairies, or gods). Whoever makes a positive claim (i.e. something DOES exist) has the burden of proof.

And for the others discussing astronomy questions, I'm happy to try to help answer some. I am a professional astronomer and hold a PhD. It's a truly mind-blowing field for which we still have a lot to learn. It's very humbling to think that we only understand what 4% of the universe is made of. The remaining 96% of the energy/mass is either dark energy or dark matter, which we don't yet know what they are.
Id love to take you up on that. Should I start a new thread?
Old 2012-03-20, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #317
Fenrys
Major

It's very humbling to think that we only understand what 4% of the universe is made of. The remaining 96% of the energy/mass is either dark energy or dark matter, which we don't yet know what they are.
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers thinks it could be mostly plasma. Like giant lightning bolts arcing through intergalactic space, but with voltages too low to emit photons.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #318
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers thinks it could be mostly plasma. Like giant lightning bolts arcing through intergalactic space, but with voltages too low to emit photons.
?? That article doesn't say that plasma is dark matter or dark energy. Plasma is made of normal matter (the 4%).

And yes, you should start another thread for astronomy-related topics.
Old 2012-03-20, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #319
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I can't prove God exists. You can't prove he doesn't.
Once again, the burden of proof goes with person making the claim, I make no claims (not believing in something is not a claim). You're more then welcome to believe what you want (elvis still being alive, bigfoot, zombies, vampires, werewolves, unicorns, god), but don't expect anyone to believe it without evidence.

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
The logic you worked out on your own after reading what other people have written using their logic makes what you believe true? YES. Only because YOU believe it to be true.
Originally Posted by Effective View Post
This is logic I worked out on my own after reading how full of shit the bible was and how fucked up the world is.
(PSU why u no have raised eyebrow emoticon?!?!?)

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-03-20, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #320
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

What's this? A religious person is a hypocrite and doesn't apply the same standards to his irrational belief in the divine and supernatural as he does to other things in his life? Why, I never...
Old 2012-03-20, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #321
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I Googled his name because I don't know who Stephen Meyer is and on his Wikipedia page you can find a number of people who've refuted his "Signature in the Cell" stuff as being factually incorrect. And this is the first few minutes of me having any idea who the guy is.

e: Oh, so the guy is a creationist. I thought you said the guy was going to make a scientific case for god.

Here's a two-hour talk by an actual biologist about why creationism/intelligent design is not scientific:
You can probably find stuff to smudge anyone's name on the internet. Although Wikipedia is handy, I don't think it's an infallible source; especially on controversial subjects.

Yes, Meyer makes a scientific case.

Fifteen minutes into the video and not a single point made against Meyer's argument or intelligent design.

If you're not interested in knowing the argument presented in the material, then I don't think you should spend time trying to refute it.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #322
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

I believe in God, but not religion.

I also believe that many so called Atheists have it wrong as well. It's okay to believe what you want to believe, but to say there is no God because there is no proof is short sighted. And when they point Science out to me, I simply say one sentence, "We haven't been past the moon, but you claim that we know enough to say that there is no intelligence controlling the universe?"

That usually shuts them up.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #323
Figment
Lieutenant General

I don't know of any creationist astronomers.
Mayans, Greeks, Aztecs, Inca, Egyptians, Sumerians, Romans, Carthagians, Catholics certainly (they kinda didn't like Copernicus though, who was still a creationist, probably, considering he was raised Catholic).

Could go on. They were there. Pretty wrong about the actual background of things. But they were there.

@Duke or anyone else willing to have a go at this if they are confident in creation.

Could you please enlighten me why Christian theology and in fact ANY theology for that matter had to spread by sword and mouth if any god is universal, rather than for instance... a local, Jewish concept based partially in Sumerian and other local myths? Note the use of the word local, as in influenced and concepted through local and contemporary, cultural issues.

Please, if for example your god is universal, then logically the religion would be universal as well and could pop up anywhere without any intervention by humans. If not, the religion is not universal and neither is the god.

Considering any god or gods apparently want to have his or their word spread, it would be logical to not have just a single, isolated original preacher considering the chance of spreading is then not only small, it would not be effective or efficient (for an omnipotent deity, a strange choice of medium). And certainly it does not fit with doctrine since every religion claims to be the only truth. Certainly creation only happened once? If there is ONE truth, it has to be possible to find anywhere, because this god or god system would want it to be followed. One might even argue false prophets to be taken out in some of the more aggressive theological cases. This is after all a core feature of every religion: Get followers. Spread. Get more followers. Spread. Till everyone is a follower, whether or not by choice.

Kinda like zombies come to think of it. But I digress.

Either way, one can already conclude that there cannot be multiple truths and if there's an answer, there is only one. In fact, in this light it would also be illogical for any other religions than the one truth to have existed at all. Seeing as there is claim to there only being one truth. Let alone that any existed before the "True" version. Not impossible, but unlikely. However, up to today we still don't have a single religion that has been global and created the same independently. Let alone a universal religion.

I therefore request you to, if not prove the existence of a god directly to at least prove the claim that a religion can be universal. This should be a simple task: a simple, earthly verification. All you need to do is find a global constant. Please demonstrate how random populaces in completely isolated zones across the globe can come up with the exact same religion (regardless of which one). To the letter. (So no contact with other nations ever, no significant previous version of religion and certainly no internet). Any time period in history will do.

There is only one answer I have seen sofar that solves this challenge. There is one universal constant that, if these isolated cultures are seen as algebraic attempts at answering the god question, answers the challenge: it is the null factor.

The null factor means there is no god, at least none that interacts with humans (hence I consider agnosticism a "fair enough" philosophy). Therefore none of the religions can be correct under the assumption that gods want as many people as possible to follow them, regardless of age, era or culture. As a consequence, one has to conclude that religion is a creation of culture, not culture the result of religious creation.

In fact, the closest thing to a global religion, is various forms of paganism with regards to nature worship. However, even if basic concepts such as tree or anmal worship exist among different pagan religions, none of these are anywhere near the same in culture, stories and traditions. Therefore one can only conclude they (and other religions) are all local and thus must be false and the result of local traditions and morality, old stories, events, fear, hope and above all lacking understanding of nature, events and life.

Granted, I have never seen a creationist of any kind even try and tackle this challenge. Usualy it is avoided completely or if they are fair, it is admitted they can't provide evidence of the contrary. Because there is simply no historical evidence available and the record supports the opposite: religions are interconnected only when in direct and elongated cultural and geographical contact.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-03-20 at 08:18 PM.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #324
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
"We haven't been past the moon, but you claim that we know enough to say that there is no intelligence controlling the universe?"
Actually we already left the solar system...

Nothing yet.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #325
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Figment View Post

Nothing yet.
This, and we can see even farther.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-03-20, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #326
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post

Nothing yet.
We as human beings, have not been past the moon. We have sent machines which should be sailing past the asteroid belt past Pluto very shortly. But we as humans have not even left our own solar system...but we claim to have a deep understanding of the universe. This makes me laugh.

Now, what you just did was obfuscation....which means that having a serious talk about this subject is pretty much impossible. Which is what I figured.

The sad fact is, when I try to speak to someone that does not believe in God...all I get is "The burden of proof is on you..."

Which is lazy speak for "I don't want to even include the possibility of God in my life, so I'm going to throw sand in your eye/speak in circles until you get tired and I can say "I Win."

The simple fact is, if you are a scientist...and you're serious about it...then your mind is open to ALL possibilities....even extreme possibilities.

As a person that believes in God, and the limitless possibilities of human potential...I think it is short-sighted to exclude the possibility of the divine based on your dislike of religious people.

And I'm not talking about creationists...because they're a whole other level of stupid.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #327
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

I believe in God, but not religion.

I also believe that many so called Atheists have it wrong as well. It's okay to believe what you want to believe, but to say there is no God because there is no proof is short sighted. And when they point Science out to me, I simply say one sentence, "We haven't been past the moon, but you claim that we know enough to say that there is no intelligence controlling the universe?"

That usually shuts them up.
There is no evidence to suggest a intelligence controlling the universe. Until there is such evidence I will continue to not believe in it. It's not short sighted, it's a logical conclusion based upon what information is available. When new information is available, the conclusion will change (huzzah science).

Old 2012-03-20, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #328
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

We as human beings, have not been past the moon. We have sent machines which should be sailing past the asteroid belt past Pluto very shortly. But we as humans have not even left our own solar system...but we claim to have a deep understanding of the universe. This makes me laugh.

Now, what you just did was obfuscation....which means that having a serious talk about this subject is pretty much impossible. Which is what I figured.

The sad fact is, when I try to speak to someone that does not believe in God...all I get is "The burden of proof is on you..."

Which is lazy speak for "I don't want to even include the possibility of God in my life, so I'm going to throw sand in your eye/speak in circles until you get tired and I can say "I Win."

The simple fact is, if you are a scientist...and you're serious about it...then your mind is open to ALL possibilities....even extreme possibilities.

As a person that believes in God, and the limitless possibilities of human potential...I think it is short-sighted to exclude the possibility of the divine based on your dislike of religious people.

And I'm not talking about creationists...because they're a whole other level of stupid.
I don't think anyone has claimed to have a deep understanding of the universe (at least in this thread).

The burden of proof IS on you, it's not a debate, it's a fact. If I claimed Elvis was still alive. The burden of proof is on me to provide the evidence to show that he is indeed, not buried at Graceland.

It's not really lazy. I at least personally acknowledge there's always possibility of a supreme beings existence, I simply don't because there is no evidence, I imagine this is the case with most atheist.

As a person who does not believe in god, I actually have a lot of religious friends.

And yes creationists in general are incredibly dumb.

Old 2012-03-20, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #329
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

So astronomy is pointless then? The Voyager spacecraft have officially left our solar system, and are well beyond Pluto, btw. But anyway, we have these things called telescopes that let us learn about very distant objects without going there. What a concept huh? We have learned more things about the universe in the last 50 years than we have in the previous 10,000 years. We have a long way to go, for sure, but we know quite a bit.

And Figment, yes there are some creationist astronomers. I just meant I don't work with any. And actually, most of the Catholic astronomers believe in evolution and are not in fact creationists.

Last edited by Quovatis; 2012-03-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-21, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #330
Figment
Lieutenant General

And Figment, yes there are some creationist astronomers. I just meant I don't work with any. And actually, most of the Catholic astronomers believe in evolution and are not in fact creationists.
They kinda are still, as they believe in a god creating the heavens or is behind the Big Bang. They just take a more realistic approach to it by incorporating science. In the end, as long as they believe in a god, they are creationists, just not the foolhardy zealoty type (some may try to go with Intelligent Design, as an IMO rather poor compromise attempt).

Nobody up for the challenge I posted on the previous page? Anyone can prove or indicate how the null-vector is not the only answer to religious diversion?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-03-21 at 04:54 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum