Religion - Page 61 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remember kids, Maurader's do not float
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-01, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #901
therandomone
Sergeant

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
"When you accept that claim, you must accept the premises that constitute that claim. For instance, you cannot believe in Intelligent Design as it would breach the premise of a controlling entity."

That is what you said.

You said you cannot believe in ID as it would go against not believing a controlling entity.

I said they are not the same.

I did read.

You are just a rambling fool.
Also, see below:
(Except skip the insults, those arent for you, you don't deserve that....yes im being serious.)

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Atheism is not the lack of belief in a controlling entity, anyway. If aliens begat life on Earth and guided its evolution or something, that would be intelligent design and it would not be at odds with atheism.

Also, yes, therandomone is incredibly fucking dumb and I don't think you guys ought to put so much effort into responding to him.
Controlling entity= god. You can't call me dumb when you seemed to not understand an obvious synonym. So by that definition, yes atheism does include that belief. Not only that, but you clearly have no idea what intelligent design is. "It is a contemporary adaptation of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, presented by its advocates as an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins rather than a religious-based idea...and believe the designer to be the Christian deity." This is intelligent design, not aliens. Now, if we're going to swear at each other, I guess this is the part I call you a fucking stupid-ass moron for knowing nothing about which you are speaking. At least some of the others put up a little fight, this is a joke. Shut up and let the grown-ups talk.
Old 2012-07-01, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #902
Vecha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
Also, see below:
(Except skip the insults, those arent for you, you don't deserve that....yes im being serious.)

Controlling entity= god....intelligent design is " a contemporary adaptation of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, presented by its advocates as an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins rather than a religious-based idea...and believe the designer to be the Christian deity." This is intelligent design, not aliens

Have you heard the "God is a clock-maker" belief/argument?

The idea that God created the clock, us and the universe, and stepped back. As in...not interfere, not control.

That is mostly where I'm coming from when I say ID doesn't have to be a controlling entity.

It is also possible that the Deity does derive from the Christian deity, but doesn't have to be controlling.

I understand where you are coming from. I disagree with it.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #903
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
Exactly. At least on the Alien part

I won't say he is dumb exactly...just has alot of nonsense to dish out.

Arguing with him is fun though. Even if he ignores 75% of what you say.
At least we agree on one thing,its fun to debate someone who just dishes out nonsense. Also if you honest feel I ignore 75% of what you say all that really means is you dont read 75% of what I say. That's no fault of my own.

Also its amusing when one of you calls me dumb,when it seems damn near impossible for most of you to not post something that contradicts yourself. Though it is sad most of you can't form a logical argument, they're generally more fun when someone has something intelligent to say.
Old 2012-07-01, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #904
Figment
Lieutenant General

Or you fail to realise why the points are subtle enough they don't actually contradict each other?

You've said a few times things contradicted each other, but only because you made assumptions about definitions (yours) that are false and because you made several incorrect interpretations.

The biggest problem remains you extending atheism to where it doesn't go.

Theos means god.

Not pink unicorn.

It means god.

A-theist, means "without (belief in) god(s)". Nothing more.

Skepticism - Definition

In ordinary usage, skepticism (US) or scepticism (UK) (Greek: 'σκέπτομαι' skeptomai, to think, to look about, to consider; see also spelling differences) refers to:
(a) an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object;
(b) the doctrine that true knowledge or knowledge in a particular area is uncertain; or
(c) the method of suspended judgment, systematic doubt, or criticism that is characteristic of skeptics (Merriam–Webster).

In philosophy, scepticism refers more specifically to any one of several propositions. These include propositions about:
(a) an inquiry,
(b) a method of obtaining knowledge through systematic doubt and continual testing,
(c) the arbitrariness, relativity, or subjectivity of moral values,
(d) the limitations of knowledge,
(e) a method of intellectual caution and suspended judgment.
and continued:

Religious skepticism

Religious skepticism generally refers to doubting given religious beliefs or claims. Historically, religious skepticism can be traced back to Socrates, who doubted many religious claims of the time. Modern religious skepticism typically places more emphasis on scientific and historical methods or evidence, with Michael Shermer writing that it is a process for discovering the truth rather than blanket non-acceptance. For this reason, a religious skeptic may not believe that Jesus existed, or if he did, that he was not the messiah and did not perform miracles. Religious skepticism is not the same as atheism or agnosticism, though these often do involve skeptical attitudes toward religion and philosophical theology (for example, towards divine omnipotence).
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[9][10]

The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[11]

Arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Atheists tend to be skeptical of supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence for deities.[12] Other rationales for not believing in any deity include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies,[13][14] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[15] Many atheists hold that atheism is a more parsimonious worldview than theism, and therefore the burden of proof lies not on the atheist to disprove the existence of God, but on the theist to provide a rationale for theism.[16]

Atheism is accepted within some religious and spiritual belief systems, including Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Neopagan movements[17] such as Wicca,[18] and nontheistic religions. Jainism and some forms of Buddhism do not advocate belief in gods,[19] whereas Hinduism holds atheism to be valid, but some schools view the path of an atheist to be difficult to follow in matters of spiritually.[20]

Since conceptions of atheism vary, determining how many atheists exist in the world today is difficult.[21] According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population, while a further 11.9% are nonreligious.[22] According to another, rates of self-reported atheism are among the highest in Western nations, again to varying degrees: United States (4%), Italy (7%), Spain (11%), Great Britain (17%), Germany (20%), and France (32%).[23] According to a 2009 report by the American Religious Identification Survey, people claiming to adhere to "no religion" made up 15% of the population in the US.[24]

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-01 at 05:14 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #905
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
It is entirely within the realm of possibility that the universe created itself out of its former self spontaneously. The trap most people fall in is the idea the universe can't always have existed in one form or another.
One of my personal favorite thought exercises is to wrap my mind around this concept: Time didn't exist until the universe came into being. Therefor there wasn't a 'before' the universe. There was no such thing as 'before'. Time STARTED when the universe became manifest.

So the idea that someone or something existed before the universe, and then created it (cause -> effect) is logically ridiculous. There was no before. 'Befores' as a concept didn't exist yet. Hell "yet" wasn't even a thing... argh, my brain!
Old 2012-07-02, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #906
Figment
Lieutenant General

Unless you consider the existence of extra dimensions. Maybe some dimension leaked universe!

*hurts your brain a bit more*
Old 2012-07-02, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #907
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Or you fail to realise why the points are subtle enough they don't actually contradict each other?

You've said a few times things contradicted each other, but only because you made assumptions about definitions (yours) that are false and because you made several incorrect interpretations.

The biggest problem remains you extending atheism to where it doesn't go.

Theos means god.

Not pink unicorn.

It means god.
A-theist, means "without (belief in) god(s)". Nothing more.
and continued:
Finally! I was wondering how long it would take one of you bastards (meant endearingly) to formulate a semi-decent argument. I mean, you just copied texts but you highlighted it! So it counts for something...especially considering the part you actually thought of and typed yourself is,for lack of a better word, sad.

And no, just no. First off, nothing you say is very subtle and neither are the points you are trying to make. And secondly I never said things contradicted themselves I said you did along with others here, don't try and distance yourself from that with use of the word "things".

Now for the pink unicorn comment,either you're an idiot or ignorant because no one here thinks it means pink unicorn. It'd be like were arguing about the sky and I say:
The sky is blue.
Not Tickle Me Elmo Pink.
Thank you Captain Motherfucking Obvious, next are you going to inform me about the dangers of smoking? Or how eating healthy is good for you? While luckily when I kept reading you didnt tell me about the dangers of smoking or how eating healthy is good, CMO just had to strike again though with defining skepticism. Thank you once again for telling me something I already know.

The rest of the text I love, well, the very end section I should say. Here's why:
First you tell me my "definition" of Atheism is wrong (which is funny, because I never really did define it, don't believe me? Keep reading, youll see)
Second you you give me the "nothing more" saying it can't be anything but that.
And the kicker? You personally took time to bold "since conceptions of atheists vary". Goddamn man (or woman?), do you even read the stuff before you post it? You only went on to prove my point its incredibly difficult for you (and others) to post something where you don't manage to contradict yourself.

Now youre probably thinking, what do you mean you didnt define atheism you lying sack of shit? Well man with a potty-mouth, when I was speaking of naturalism and physicalism and the premises for atheism you failed to realize the obvious (ironic?). What I was essentially saying was that the arguments and ideas that sustain Atheism tend naturally to rule out other beliefs in the supernatural/ transcendental.

Well, thats unfortunate...I thought it was going to be a decent argument, I mean you had text bolded and everything. Better luck next time.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #908
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

It's amazing the vitriolic lengths randomone is going to here to make what is, in effect, a totally vapid non-statement. The method of reasoning that leads to atheism can be applied to other evidence-free claims? Oh boy, someone get Ripley's on the phone!
Old 2012-07-02, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #909
Figment
Lieutenant General

And no, just no. First off, nothing you say is very subtle and neither are the points you are trying to make.
Apparently this is subjective then.

And secondly I never said things contradicted themselves I said you did along with others here, don't try and distance yourself from that with use of the word "things".
Sigh.

Now for the pink unicorn comment,either you're an idiot or ignorant because no one here thinks it means pink unicorn.
Oh really? Then why do you keep claiming atheist means lack of believe in pink unicorns? Amongst other things, of course.

CMO just had to strike again though with defining skepticism. Thank you once again for telling me something I already know.
Great, so you admit it's not the same as atheism, finally.

The rest of the text I love, well, the very end section I should say. Here's why:
First you tell me my "definition" of Atheism is wrong (which is funny, because I never really did define it, don't believe me? Keep reading, youll see)
You RE-defined it on several occassions and we're having this argument because you demand we expand atheism to your all-inclusive version.

Want me to get the quotes?

Second you you give me the "nothing more" saying it can't be anything but that.
And the kicker? You personally took time to bold "since conceptions of atheists vary". Goddamn man (or woman?), do you even read the stuff before you post it? You only went on to prove my point its incredibly difficult for you (and others) to post something where you don't manage to contradict yourself.
I love how you suddenly forget you're the one who kept talking about the "REAL" atheist and now suddenly admit there's no complete concensus on it.

Which btw applies not to an all-inclusive skepticist nay-saying as you claim, but on something else: how aware and how choicy a person is in the disbelief in gods. And I quote:

^ a b Harvey, Van A.. "Agnosticism and Atheism", in Flynn 2007, p. 35: "The terms ATHEISM and AGNOSTICISM lend themselves to two different definitions. The first takes the privative a both before the Greek theos (divinity) and gnosis (to know) to mean that atheism is simply the absence of belief in the gods and agnosticism is simply lack of knowledge of some specified subject matter. The second definition takes atheism to mean the explicit denial of the existence of gods and agnosticism as the position of someone who, because the existence of gods is unknowable, suspends judgment regarding them... The first is the more inclusive and recognizes only two alternatives: Either one believes in the gods or one does not. Consequently, there is no third alternative, as those who call themselves agnostics sometimes claim. Insofar as they lack belief, they are really atheists. Moreover, since absence of belief is the cognitive position in which everyone is born, the burden of proof falls on those who advocate religious belief. The proponents of the second definition, by contrast, regard the first definition as too broad because it includes uninformed children along with aggressive and explicit atheists. Consequently, it is unlikely that the public will adopt it."
Then there's the weak vs strong atheists, practical atheists, the atheists within various religions including hinduism.

Not all of those make the claims you attribute to the general, collective term of atheist. Especially not children, who might be agnostics depending on definition.

YOUR definition of "real" atheism however, is absolutely incorrect as it is too narrowed down to a specific group of skeptic atheists. "Real" atheists are ANY atheist. You have since redefined the word "real" for good reason, however, you still fail to see that the scope of such a thing as a "consistent atheist" is limited to the domain of gods. Not to the whether or not existence of pink unicorns. THAT is the domain of the more general term skepticism. You would be correct if you stated a consistent skeptic would be an consistent atheist. A consistent atheist however, does not have to be a consistent skeptic!

You need to realise the difference between sets and subsets not always enveloping the same domain.

But in short, there are simply more types of atheists than consistent atheists and they're all real atheists! THAT is what we're saying and you pigheadedly refuse to admit.

Now youre probably thinking, what do you mean you didnt define atheism you lying sack of shit? Well man with a potty-mouth,
May I remind you I haven't once called you by any names, I've qualified your opinion as ignorant and pointed out your inconsistencies (which you refuse to admit up till now and at which time you pretend you have been saying this all along). However, unlike you, I've not called you insane, idiot, or whatever and I've kept quite calm, which is a quality you've not demonstrated to do as of yet.

when I was speaking of naturalism and physicalism and the premises for atheism you failed to realize the obvious (ironic?). What I was essentially saying was that the arguments and ideas that sustain Atheism tend naturally to rule out other beliefs in the supernatural/ transcendental.
Yet here we are with the existence of Hindu atheists who believe in reincarnation.

End of discussion?

Well, thats unfortunate...I thought it was going to be a decent argument, I mean you had text bolded and everything. Better luck next time.
Indeed, you thoroughly trashed yourself here without making a point in favour. And once again proved you don't quite understand that a "tendency to" is not the equivalent of "guaranteed to".

Capiche?

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
It's amazing the vitriolic lengths randomone is going to here to make what is, in effect, a totally vapid non-statement. The method of reasoning that leads to atheism can be applied to other evidence-free claims? Oh boy, someone get Ripley's on the phone!
The problem though is that he thinks the only way one could be an atheist is by applying that same skeptic thought pattern to everything else, which is simply bullox.

First of all, you can be an atheist without being a skeptic: you may simply never been told about the concept of gods and never have thought about the existence of a god, therefore not considered it and therefore not made judgment, but still don't believe in any such thing. These people some call babies. Doesn't mean that at some point in life they might become theists due to upbringing. Yet they are still "real" atheists, because the only quality you need to possess to be dubbed atheist is lacking belief in gods.

Plus, how many conscious atheists (especially sci-fi fans) are out there that believe in the existence of aliens?

Then how many in the existence of aliens visiting earth?

Aren't they "real" atheists? Yes they are, no gods involved. Are they consistent skeptics? Hell no.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-02 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #910
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Thank you for this by the way,you now have given me the ability to disregard anything you have to say because you clearly have no idea what induction and abduction reasoning is...which means,as you have brilliantly illustrated, you have no idea as to what you're talking about.

Induction is when we argue from what has been observed in the past or present to reach conclusions about what hasn't been observed,in the past, present, or future. The evidence of experience is that we live in a world governed by natural laws, that everything that happens in it is explained by natural phenomena. ( I.e. God created the universe vs the big bang theory)

Abduction, also known as argument to the best explanation, draws on the inductive principle that the unobserved past,present, and future resemble the observed past and present, they are structured differently. In essence,an abductive argument examines a phenomenon or set of phenomena that has more than explanation and attempts to determine which of these explanations is best. Combine that with occams razor, and its pretty obvious which answer is most likely correct
Old 2012-07-02, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #911
Figment
Lieutenant General

Thank you for this by the way,you now have given me the ability to disregard anything you have to say because you clearly have no idea what induction and abduction reasoning is...which means,as you have brilliantly illustrated, you have no idea as to what you're talking about.

Induction is when we argue from what has been observed in the past or present to reach conclusions about what hasn't been observed,in the past, present, or future. The evidence of experience is that we live in a world governed by natural laws, that everything that happens in it is explained by natural phenomena. ( I.e. God created the universe vs the big bang theory)

Abduction, also known as argument to the best explanation, draws on the inductive principle that the unobserved past,present, and future resemble the observed past and present, they are structured differently. In essence,an abductive argument examines a phenomenon or set of phenomena that has more than explanation and attempts to determine which of these explanations is best. Combine that with occams razor, and its pretty obvious which answer is most likely correct
You missed his point.

He was being completely sarcastic about how you re-invented the wheel.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #912
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Man you are just guns-blazing in every directions, aren't you? A few things.
  1. What makes you think you and I disagreed on anything you've said?
  2. What makes you think pointing out the wikipedia definitions of inductive and abductive reasoning will mean anything at all to me?
  3. What exactly is it that you claim I don't know what I'm talking about? I wasn't talking about anything, unless you mean that your point was vapid and unnecessary.
  4. That being said, you point is still vapid and unnecessary.

Seriously, talk about much ado about nothing. We're not just missing the forest for the trees at this point, we're missing the trees for the bark texture. It's rough! you say. It's ragged! say others.

We really have run out of things to talk about in this thread.
Old 2012-07-02, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #913
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Induction is where you conceive abstract rules from concrete facts.

Abduction is where you get sucked into a spaceship, anally probed, indoctrinated with space religions, and sent back to Earth believing you are the new messiah.

I believe the latter is what happened to Manuel Barroso.
But the real question is, is he atheist?
Old 2012-07-03, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #914
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Hey look, another person attempting to redefine atheism as something it's not.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-07-03, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #915
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Quick, let's spend 5 pages and thousands of words trying to educate someone too stupid to read the definition of the word himself!

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum