Non-orchestrated Placeholder Planetside Music leaked (Spoiler) - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Watch out for those MLWA guys...they're just weird.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
stargazer093
Sergeant

Re: Planetside Music leaked (Spoiler)

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
Speaking as NC...

I can tell that one of the goals of this project was to inject more variation between the factions, which I think is definitely the way to go. This also raises the bar in terms of both stretching the range of the composer and being able to capture the spirit of a large group of people that already have a preconceived notion of what their faction is about. No easy task. I will give you my thoughts on how accurately the music captured what I thought the factions were about.

VANU SOVEREIGNTY
Awesome; hit the nail on the head...Vanu music is exactly how I pictured it...modern theme with emphasis on them being 'the future'. Reminds me of science fiction/action movies; which is perfect imo. Futuristic and tech savvy.

TERRAN REPUBLIC
Orchestral, epic, with lots of brass instruments. The first two evoke feelings of nationalism, pride and honour, while the latter I think captures the idea of duty, service, and sacrifice. Embodies the core theme of Planetside quite well, and as such should be most similar to the Main theme of the game. Epic war movie FTW!

NEW CONGLOMERATE
I want to start off by saying 'the Don' captured *exactly* what he was going for in his approach with the NC. Having said that; I think he missed the mark in terms of capturing the feel of the faction. Here's why I think that...It's clear that he was going for the 'cool rebel' as a way of differentiating it from the TR (which ideologically they are the most similar to...also the reason they hate each other the most ). As was said previously in the thread, it conjures images of some badass dude off by himself smoking a cigar. The twang also conjures a hint of 'backwardness'...if not that, then at least a rural feeling of isolation. Also as previously stated in this thread, it does conjure up a corny image of "Snake" from "Escape From New York" and "Escape From LA".

My problem with this approach isn't that it's bad music, but it fundamentally goes the opposite direction of the ideology of Planetside, which is team play.

The badass off smoking a cigar in the desert 'plays by his own rules', and tends to be 'too cool' to put aside his ego to fight for freedom with his brothers in arms which is (in reality) what the New Conglomerate is about.

I can see the conversation Higby had with him even; the key word 'the Don' took away from it was Higby's use of the word "rebel", rather than "freedom".

This ideologically took the music of the NC towards individualism rather than unification against tyranny, and herein lies the paradox of the TR and the NC; "Is the idea of unity limited to the TR, or is it rather epitomized in the TR and common to all the factions"? I would say the latter.

I think this is the root of where the dissatisfaction with NC is coming from (amoung those who are actually dissatisfied at least!)

I have seen Higby's comment about the synth being dropped in the final product (a decision I like), though I suspect it will move it from the 'hillbilly' feel more towards something like the 'Guns n Roses' feel. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the vision of 'rebel' goes deeper than that, and I suspect the mood it conjures will still rub people the wrong way; being a team-based game at it's core.

Of course being a pragmatist, I understand that at this point it's probably too late to do much about that, so I'm just (really) hoping they get rid of the twang (please no twang!).

Don't let my faction bias bring you down though, overall this score is fantastic, and brings to light how much Don's work has influenced the culture of this game, which I fully expect to be vastly larger and more successful than the last.
I think you are just overthinking...
Old 2012-06-14, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

OMG The Vanu music reminds me of Time Splitters 2 !!!!
Old 2012-06-14, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by stargazer093 View Post
I think you are just overthinking...
What is 'over-thinking'? ;P

Last edited by Red Beard; 2012-06-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
OMG The Vanu music reminds me of Time Splitters 2 !!!!
Thought the same thing! Time Splitters music is awesome
Old 2012-06-14, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Let me just say again, I'm half through the TR tracks now, finished the Vanu ones. OMG I can't believe how great this is. TR music is so spot on and TR Combat 4 is just amazing!!

The Vanu stuff though.... omg.... It's a great day to be purple!

Can't even wait to listen to NC i'm so excited lol

UPDATE: WAIT A MINUTE!!! WHAT THE HELL WHY DOES TR GET ALL THE PS1 CLASSICS IN THEIR SOUNDTRACK!!! NOT FAIR!!! lol seriously though it bums me out cause I won't play TR but they get to listen to some classic PS1 tunes

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-06-14 at 06:03 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

I had a big long rant until I read Higby's response. And I really hope that that is true, but I still cant see the NC stuff sounding great.

This piece is absolutely fantastic, and is the basis that all of the new stuff should be judged by.

I'll take your word that it will sound better when it's finished, but I'm still worried that it's not going to have that PlanetSide feel to it.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
Aurmanite
Captain

The NC main theme is almost exactly like the original. Just with a few 2012 touchups.

Overall I dig the Republic's play list the most. NC is a close second.
I will enjoy stamping out the light from all the rave kids' glow sticks.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

HOT DAMN!

That VS music is awesome! Shame i can't listen to the Tr one
Old 2012-06-14, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
The NC main theme is almost exactly like the original. Just with a few 2012 touchups.
There's more than a "few" touch ups. The theme is essentially the same, but the style is terrible. I'll save my final judgments for when it's really done though.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think the idea behind the NC music is "NC rocks!", so rock music - vOv

Personally I think NC should range between AC/DC and Five Finger Death Punch.

I think the issue people might be having with it is that it doesn't inspire enough emotion, it's just rock'n music. It's good, I like it, but I don't feel the same emotional and empire connection with the NC music as I do the VS and TR. I feel it is missing seriousness. The NC are serious - they're fighting for a cause the zealously believe in and are dedicated to that cause. The music sorta feels like they're just rock'n it, having a good time.

I listened to the NC sanc music a lot during PS1. And the thing I really liked about it was the emotional feel of the tune. It was somber, serious, and hopeful. If there's one thing the NC music should convey it is hope. They fight because they believe in the cause, so it should be serious, but uplifting. I sort of get that in the rock'n music. It's confident, almost a reckless confidence. As T-ray would say - "We got this!". If you want to join a revolution you need confidence and hope and you need people to believe in the cause. I think the music sort of feels simply rock'n because that might be what it's trying to evoke. An almost reckless confidence, positive attitude, and hope.

TR is almost the exact opposite - they don't have hope, they have duty and pride. While the NC have successfully broken away from the TR and have a reason to be hopeful, the TR have watched their empire fracture three ways and is on the brink of destruction. All they have is their history and their accomplishments. They have a great feeling of loss and gravity. I loved the old PS theme music in the TR becuase it was nostalgic - and that's exactly what the TR should feel, nostalgia for all that used to be, and that might be again. They are on the brink of losing it all. They're at a dark time in humanity and all they have is pride, duty, gravity, and sacrifice to keep them from losing it all. And the music reflects that absolutely perfectly.

Haven't listened much to the VS music but what I heard feels right and fits well. The feeling that I got and I think should be there is a sort of detachment. VS are a bit detached from humanity and sort of a collective and I get that from the music. It's also serious and feels deep and meditative, as I might expect a VS to be. It's impersonal and highly modern. All a great fit for VS from what I've heard. From what I've seen in the thread it seems a lot of folks agree with that.

Overall extremely well done, I'm still out on the NC, it's quite a bit different from PS1 and that might be OK, I just have to wrap my head around it. Confidence, uplifting, hopeful, I think its' close there, but it doesn't quite bring those emotions out readily.

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
UPDATE: WAIT A MINUTE!!! WHAT THE HELL WHY DOES TR GET ALL THE PS1 CLASSICS IN THEIR SOUNDTRACK!!! NOT FAIR!!! lol seriously though it bums me out cause I won't play TR but they get to listen to some classic PS1 tunes
I touched on this above in the TR section, but I believe it fits because it evokes nostalgia - something great that is gone or not the same. That's the sort of emotion a TR should have after their great empire is shattered and a shadow of its former self. They want that greatness back and the memory of what was is what keeps them going.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-06-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
For this reason I'm inclined to feel like the styles of music of the TR and NC should share a common root with different spins on them. This is also why it's fitting that the Vanu wear purple.
I completely agree with you. They should share a distinct similarity, but have a different twist.

What were you listening to dude?

There's a pretty huge difference.

As said before, the style is horrible.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
I completely agree with you. They should share a distinct similarity, but have a different twist.

What were you listening to dude?

There's a pretty huge difference.

As said before, the style is horrible.
You need to listen to them again, one right after another.

As for the style bit, that's your opinion. I think it's fantastic.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
JHendy
First Sergeant

You need to listen to them again, one right after another.

Each to his own I suppose.

Personally, I don't think it could be much worse. It's cheesy and it seriously lacks grandeur.

Added to that, the thing that bugs me the most is the complete absence of intensity in the combat tracks.

Last edited by JHendy; 2012-06-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #194
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I've been listening for NC tracks for a while now and I think if we hear an actual guitar on this one, I take my words back, it will sound all right.

But there's 1 thing NC battle tracks need - softer transitions between the riffs. The notes have a very wide gap when they drop and jump, adding that exact "rock" feeling. Just an imo from a guy with very good hearing, yet small-to-no knowledge of the musical terms.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Just out of curiosity, did you play PS1, or have you listened to any of PS1's music? If so did you like that style, and do you think this style is better?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion