Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where Planetside plays you!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-18, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
Jimmuc
Corporal

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

i was looking thru the pictures when i came across this one http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...hp?img_id=1791

and if they kept the aiming reticule from this picture i'll be happy. from the video it looks like they had the HUD off so using the sights was a must. the only showing of the HUD was during the air fighting scene in first-person, imo they should've showed the HUD on during the infantry fighting in first-person also. yes it wouldn't had looked as good but the details where left out.

Last edited by Jimmuc; 2012-01-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Zulthus
Colonel

Iron sights are not a "modern" mechanic. It's a DIFFERENT mechanic. As someone above me said, I do NOT want to be forced to use my iron sights if I want any sort of accuracy at all. I really liked PS1's aiming system, it was simple and it kept the pace of combat going. It would just be stupid to make iron sights a necessity in PS2. Sure, they're fine in small scale matches like COD or Battlefield, but not in a massive game such as PlanetSide. Iron sights would slow it down too much. I won't even lie, I love the way current PS combat works. Even without the warping, it's still a matter of who can keep their crosshairs on the enemy while at the same time avoiding their fire. Iron sights in a nutshell: I shot first, I win. You both move so ridiculously slow that there is absolutely no challenge to keeping that red dot sight on an enemy's head.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Raymac
Brigadier General

I like having the trade off between firing from the hip and having more mobility but less accuracy versus aiming down the sight and losing mobility but gaining accuracy.

Old 2012-01-18, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
comrade
Private

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
I don't mind about the "Zoom in, move slower".

I just hate the big stonkin' gun that takes up 2/3rds of the screen. It's also either "On" or "Off". If we wanted 'realism', then the soldier would be able to have the gun near his face for some improved accuracy, but not close enough to take over half the screen up with 'REALISM GUN!'. Or an option to keep BOTH eyes open, so I can see past the gun.

Also what scares me is that non-ironsights might be completely useless, so I'm forced to use it.
I 100% agree with that!
Old 2012-01-18, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Iron sights are not a "modern" mechanic. It's a DIFFERENT mechanic. As someone above me said, I do NOT want to be forced to use my iron sights if I want any sort of accuracy at all. I really liked PS1's aiming system, it was simple and it kept the pace of combat going. It would just be stupid to make iron sights a necessity in PS2. Sure, they're fine in small scale matches like COD or Battlefield, but not in a massive game such as PlanetSide. Iron sights would slow it down too much. I won't even lie, I love the way current PS combat works. Even without the warping, it's still a matter of who can keep their crosshairs on the enemy while at the same time avoiding their fire. Iron sights in a nutshell: I shot first, I win. You both move so ridiculously slow that there is absolutely no challenge to keeping that red dot sight on an enemy's head.
In my opinion, that's how it should be.

Slow and methodical.

Not whoever is more skilled.

I am also in complete disagreement that it works better in smaller scale matches. I think it is the opposite. It works WORSE in smaller scale matches while in larger ones, there's depth of tact.

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-01-18 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2012-01-18, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
In my opinion, that's how it should be.

Slow and methodical.

Not whoever is more skilled.

I am also in complete disagreement that it works better in smaller scale matches. I think it is the opposite. It works WORSE in smaller scale matches while in larger ones, there's depth of tact.
we're talking about an FPS here, skill is sorta meant to be the deciding factor, there is however a broad range of different skills depending on the type of FPS.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-18, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
we're talking about an FPS here, skill is sorta meant to be the deciding factor, there is however a broad range of different skills depending on the type of FPS.
Well, what I mean is not your ability to aim like in Quake.

There's definitely other skills that come into play.

I would just hate it if mobility in the game was used in hopes of out-aiming your opponent.
Old 2012-01-18, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Zulthus
Colonel

Slow and methodical? This isn't Command and Conquer. We're talking about first person shooter. Remember.
Old 2012-01-18, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
texico
Master Sergeant

I think it should be a tool that is used to literally add an extra little bit of accuracy/range to a machine gun that's firing at it's absolutely limit of range, but in itself doesn't do anything to improve the accuracy of the gun nearer than that (although the fact you happen to be standing still while ironsighting would, although if you stand still with normal sights at medium range it'd have the same effect anyway).

When you're trying to shoot something at that kind of range, you're generally going to be moving pretty slow anyway, so ironsights taking a hit on mobility isn't a neg.

That way, it's in no way a necessity to have to be using ironsights all the time in medium/close combat to keep up with your opponent because if your opponent's doing it he's not gaining any accuracy advantage (and is infact losing out on mibility).

So ironsights wouldn't take over the game's shooting mechanics and most of the time everybody would be firing from the hip. But when they're trying to land a few extra bullets on somebody right at the end of their weapon's range, they can ironsight for a little more stability, accuracy, range and vision.

Having said all this, I wish they'd use a more sophisticated, sci-fi method of ironsighting (at least for the VS). Ironsights seem very dated for a futuristic style game light PS2.

Last edited by texico; 2012-01-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Slow and methodical? This isn't Command and Conquer. We're talking about first person shooter. Remember.
I do remember.

But I still think that best organization and best plan should win over best reflexes and best ability to aim.

This is supposed to be "massively multiplayer", and the game should be designed in mind so that the players who take the best advantage of this aspect should be the winners.

Although, if you do want a good FPS MMO that is based around individual player skill, there's Firefall coming out. Which is very akin to Tribes and is looking REALLY good.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Zulthus
Colonel

Firefall isn't an MMO. It's an instanced FPS. Also, skill is and always will be the deciding factor in an FPS. If players are supposed to think things out carefully and methodically before they pull the trigger, this game will have almost no players. People come to have fun, not be bored to death.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
I do remember.

But I still think that best organization and best plan should win over best reflexes and best ability to aim.
"Everybody has a plan until you get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson

Having a good plan is important, but will only take you so far. Strategy is probably more important in Planetside than any other shooter, but it's not a turn based strategy game or anything. Skill should still be king.

Old 2012-01-18, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post

Having a good plan is important, but will only take you so far. Strategy is probably more important in Planetside than any other shooter, but it's not a turn based strategy game or anything. Skill should still be king.
It should not be any more skill emphasized than it is in Battlefield 3.

If it emphasizes too much on reflexes and such, that might take out the importance of Commander roles. Since, no matter what they do, it really just comes down to the skill of the person you're commanding. There should be a noticeable ceiling to how much you can "outskill" your opponent and ironsights are good for this.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post

aww yea mike tyson in the house
Old 2012-02-01, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Beagle
Private

Also, skill is and always will be the deciding factor in an FPS.
There can be more to skill than mouse aim and ability to move evasively.

If players are supposed to think things out carefully and methodically before they pull the trigger, this game will have almost no players. People come to have fun, not be bored to death.
Rock and roll didn't destroy society, ironsights won't destroy Planetside 2. They offer reliable accuracy when you need it and have been proven effective in a variety of different FPS styles.

Take away the ironsight graphic everyone gets all worked up about and call this thread "Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Aiming Your Gun for FPS.....". Do you have a problem with Aiming Your Gun in Planetside 2? Do you think that being able to Aim Your Gun is going to ruin the game? Considering the main argument seems to be "Ironsights are only put in to attract the BF3/CoD players", I find it difficult to believe it will both attract them and scare them away at the same time.

Complaining about this kind of game because you are afraid it will have more depth and thought involved is absoloutely inane.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion