What are your concerns about ps2? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are you too good for your hole??
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-11, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Nemeses
Staff Sergeant

Re: What are your concerns about ps2?

That I don't get to kill enough alien loving VS scum
Old 2012-07-11, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Jonny
Master Sergeant

Ok this game is looking incredible but ill run the nutshell list of my current worries: (i know some of these will most likely be ironed out)

• No oceans at the edges/between continents restricting player movement and immersion in those areas.
  • Badly designed/ugly/wrong scale purchasable camo patterns.
  • Bad/jittery animations.
  • No sense of an overall goal or too much stalemate in the hex system.
  • Lack of immersion/variety in bases and also the Hvar tech plant looked very much like a black lump in the last twitch video.
  • Dull lighting and lack of interest inside bases buildings. (They looked best at GDC and look worse since?)
  • Lag.
  • Griefing players.

Ill post more plus the huge list of positive feedback too when i've had a chance to play!
Old 2012-07-11, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Canaris
Contributor
General

I'm concerned that TR won't have enough fire powah! our guns could use some more barrels and larger box magazines.

heh seriously tho I'm not going into this beta with preconceptions I'm giving it the blank slate treatment and shall evaluate it upon its merits.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-07-11, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
evansra
Private

i agree 100% with the instant vehicle exit stuff, there needs to be a delay imo.

Being a long running NC player i am worried about our max and the jackhammer. overall the shotguns cant have to much damage per shot as ppl will get anoyed with the insta kills but at the same time i dont want to see nc stuck with realy short range weps like before, especialy in what apear to be much more open combat enviroments. i think either the TR and VS versions of HA weapons need to be short range too or the jackhammer needs a range buff compaired to ps1 style. also the max AI wep is kinda redundant as the flamer does the same job. possible work around would be to make a longer range comon pool AI wep for maxes as the flamer seams to be comon pool this would give the nc the option of a long range wep and also gives the TR and VS the short range option with the flamer.

Im also worried that the infiltrator class will become just snipers with very little infiltration going on. think a good change would be to have the option to swap the rifle for a "heavy cloak generator" making it so you can cloak indefinatly with a pistol/CE type stuff, possibly in a way that it recharges slowly when stationary and cloaked but if you are moving it drains slowly so you have to move more tactfully. i think this would alow 2 very different playstyles for the infiltrator and keep the fun of the original one from ps1.

i know this is going to be fixed but collision damage was too high in the videos iv seen :P

also the cert system shows many upgrades for stuff eg: for a rifle you can increase damage and accuracy... i know these cant be bought with station cash so its not pay to win but after a year or 2 new players will find it frustrating as they will be fighting ppl with higher damage longer range more accurate guns with bigger clips and more ammo...

Being free to play with no cost to buy even will mean people can cheat or things of the like and never fear being banned as they can just make a new email adress and jump right back in

Also feel as if some of the imersion has been lost with the drop of vehicle enter animations and a sanc, also no looting or lockers or inventory any more . would also like to see the bases look a bit more functional rather than just lots of boxes and stuff placed to give cover and nothing else, like i loved that little room in the back of the spawn room in ps1, it was completely pointless but made the base feel more genuine

overall im very happy with it tho and cant wait to get into the action
Old 2012-07-11, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
SkilletSoup
Corporal

That as hard as I try, I can't get a Beta key...sniff
Old 2012-07-11, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
wraithverge
Sergeant

That I will start playing and forget to sleep then hit work after 24 hours with no sleep.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Absentis
Corporal

The gameplay seems fine to me overall. My main concern is that there will be flavor of the month builds. I can already see a massive amount of people using the same build due to someone using it first and the general community consesus is that the build is overpowered. A counter will then be found and be the new flavor of the month since there will be mqny who are using the previous flavor. The cycle then repeats and usually never stops.

There is, of course, the problem of having too many of the same class being used at once. This could be detrimental by reducing strategic and tactical gameplay on a level nobody can really control. These problems have plagued many games since that's how communities interact.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
The Kush
Captain

1) the lack of a SOI and people being able to drop pod, spawn on a leader, ect wherewver they want
2) the lack of base walls and a perimeter you can defend
3) the poor interior fighting layouts we have seen (besides the biodome)
4) people getting out of vehicles when they are almost destroyed or at any speed, this needs to be limited in regards to both accounts
5) the apparent lack of team play (which could be because of the players but still a concern as I don't want a bunch of team deatmatches side by side with the illusion you are in a "massive" war)
6) the fourth empire, people jumping servers to play an empire based on how the empire is doing (I'm nc on x server and the nc are losing, let's play y server where my vanu is winning)
Old 2012-07-11, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Envenom
Sergeant Major

1) Lack of win condition
2) Lag
3) Hackers/Cheaters
4) Vehicle enter/exit animations
5) Lag

I'm very happy with what I see right now otherwise.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Xyntech
Brigadier General

My concerns have pretty much been echoed by others.

-Squad spawning could be too power/Galaxies could be too useless
-F2P leading to more hackers or, more importantly, more griefers
-MBT's not having a dedicated driver/gunner option
-Whether or not proper front lines will form with the hex system

There's more, but really none of it is worrying me that much. I'm pretty confident that all of it will either get fixed in beta, or not turn out to be that big of a deal after all.

But I'm happy to discuss the matters until we can test them in beta, and try to come up with some hypothetical solutions to the hypothetical problems.

Also, it can't hurt to have threads like this that help show the developers where the concerns of the community mostly lie at. Once polls are allowed again, maybe someone could take the most common issues people raise from this thread and put them into a multiple choice poll.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Here are mine:
-No win conditions even if it is temporary before it resets just makes the game a never ending battle with absolutely no actual reward for dominating a continent besides extra resources, which are going to be wasted trying to halt the inevitable break out from sanctuary.

-Mechanics benefiting the zerg and overriding tactical play. Things like jump pads allow for people to not pay for their mistakes of deploying all of their troops on one side of a base, or falling for a diversionary attack ect.

-Squad spawning is ridiculous, especially in the form of a controllable drop pod, were you can drop behind an enemy unit you were just killed by. This is just another thing pandering to the zerg to the detriment of tactical warfare, and pandering to those without a little bit of patience.

And that's about it. If I can think of anything else I'll bring them up.

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-07-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Danelo
Private

New generation of gamers that probably don't even know what the word teamwork means.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Danelo View Post
New generation of gamers that probably don't even know what the word teamwork means.
What, you mean it's not DLC for *insert boring AAA shooter here*?

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
LightningDriver
Corporal

Having played a number of free to play MMO's, and playing one currently, my biggest concern would be whiners and quiters.

I do not know what the equivilant of a DPS player would be in Planetside, but the type of person who sits around and tells the tank how to tank, the healer how to heal, and the controller how to control, but s/he does not actually do anything useful, just spam damage. When things do not go thier way, they pick up thier ball and go home.

I know these types of people exist in every game, but with F2P, there seems to be a lot more busybodies telling you what to do and how to do it, but they are lousy players themselves. So, they end up not actually playing the game, just standing in one spot and complaining, wasting perfectly good bandwidth.

You're not going to win every fight in Planetside, suck it up and move on, weenies.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rodel
Sergeant

The Finality of the Cert system.

I remember some days of the week some outfits would have events like Fury Fridays where everyone would use their recert option for that day and jump into a fury for the fun of it. I also periodically used the recert option to reset my character if my outfit or new outfit required me to play a certain role.

As long as the recert option had a prolonged ticker on it I think its a very good option in the game.

Does anyone know if PS2 will have a recert option?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion