Deployable Galaxy - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now introducing new Diet PSU. And Lemon Twist PSU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-18, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Deployable Galaxy

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Lets face it one of the classic Planetside moments is seeing a Galaxy flying through the sky dropping off tons of people to the fight. That always screamed epic. Yet the game totally lacks this right now since someone though being able to just instant pod everywhere on the map was better.
Absolutely, but some have got it wrong here (respectfully). A galaxy isn't simply a transport it's a mode of attack.

You don't get into a galaxy to travel from A to B, you get in tyo attack a specific target and you hopefully know what that is and what your job will be when you get there.

If anyone is jumping into a random galaxy to be dumped who know where, well, that is PS2's equivalent of Russian Roulette.

And, ghoing back a little. The reason I said removing the spawn from galaxies to the Sundy was the best change it was because, magically, after it was done we very suddenly began to see more intense fights and a front-line emerging.

I'm sure the DEVS had been considering this move for a while but as an outsider it seemed to happen very suddenly after Malorn made a post about it.

One consequence of the change was Sundy spam. But that's been dealt with by introducing the deployment radius, I don't see as many sundies in the last days of beta than I did just after the change.

An issue still does exist in my view, which is attack seems to be too weighted towards armoured columns and less towards a shock Gal drop. The ideal would be if there was more balance in the use of both modes.
Old 2012-11-18, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
An issue still does exist in my view, which is attack seems to be too weighted towards armoured columns and less towards a shock Gal drop. The ideal would be if there was more balance in the use of both modes.
I think this is exactly what the problem is. The Galaxy is only used where the armor cannot go, on those isolate mountaintop bases. The galaxy needs to be a forward operating vehicle like a sunderer, but needs to be used more for behind enemy lines operations. Problem is that there is little reason or go fight anywhere other than contested front line territory.

When they Made PS2, they said that the fights need to go on everywhere to spread the load on the server as well as use the terrain the artist worked so hard on. I would love to see 2 oufits of 15-20 ppl fighting out over an outpost far from the front lines. One group fighting from their outpost, the other assaulting from the Galaxy.

But the outposts need something else special as well, something else that can be denied to the enemy besides the basic resources they have. Maybe vehicle abilities, or certain weapons if its no controlled.
Old 2012-11-18, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

The Galaxy as an AMS is gamebreaking, they are too maneuverable and enable everyone to spawn anywhere they want, so I hope it does not return. Squad spawning only could work though, but that would be a boring role IMHO.

I think a cool idea would be to turn them into fortresses when they are deployed. All the weapons could get a huge damage bonus so the gal is really dangerous when landed or deployed, so it can be some sort of mini-outpost without spawn. You can't spawn at them, but there could be an equipment terminal to resupply everyone. That way you would have some respect when you see a deployed galaxy and would have to figure out a way to disable it, it could be fun.
Old 2012-11-18, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

The AMS needs a cloak, and you guys are talking about these gigantic targets, a parked galaxy that can easily be hit by tank shells at over 800 meters away.
Old 2012-11-18, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
I think this is exactly what the problem is. The Galaxy is only used where the armor cannot go, on those isolate mountaintop bases.
You can actually park galaxies there without them sliding off somewhere?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion