Victory - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Damn! The bullets won't go through the walls!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should there be "Victory" in PlanetSide Next?
Yes: Somehow you can defeat the other two empires. 24 22.02%
No: It should be impossible to defeat the other two empires. 86 78.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-15, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Re: Victory

Nah. The endless war will be.... um... endless.
Old 2011-03-15, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Warruz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by demise14 View Post
I definitely think the sanctuary should open up for attack if one empire becomes base-less.

But only if they did it properly and made it out to be epic (with short cinematics or something). Maybe even have a text/email alert system to inform offline players (who agree to being alerted).

When one empire loses all their bases. The remaining two empires get the option to continue what they're doing (to insure some small battles will continue somewhere for people that don't want to take part) or to teleport back to their sanctuary and load onto an enormous aircraft carrier.

The defeated faction spawns at a heavily fortified facility in the sanctuary and awaits the impending beach assault (and gets a few minutes to prepare). Cue epic cinematic scene for all that are involved and have the carriers of both remaining factions set sail to the enemy sanctuary in real-time. The travel time should only take a couple minutes (this would build some crazy anticipation for the attackers).

The defenders by now will be dug into their sanctuary defenses and looking out to the sea to watch the giant carriers closing in.

Unlock the vehicle/air/boat terminals on the carriers and witness a battle so epic it would rival that of DDAY. And it should be the only time in the game where everyone only has 1 life so it doesn't drag on for days. Oh and make the carriers sinkable so the defenders can win and lock their sanctuary (defenders have infinite lives).

I'd play that shit.
Best part of any FPS shooter is planting the flag on the capital
Old 2011-03-15, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Simply locking an Empire should suffice for victory and grant gain boost to all.

One idea though if continents are locked and open on time limit. The empire that is locked, upon the next continent that will be open, will have a time limit before their faction is allowed onto the continent. This limit could be 15-30 minutes. Since locking Empire doesn't happen to often this small limit to gaining land on the new continent and allowing the other empires to grab a few bases before you seems reasonable but small benifeit to them as well as the XP gain.

That or the empire that locked the other will gain double or 1.5x more experience in capturing bases. Could be called Victory March. And lasts for a set time.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Stardouser
Colonel

I hate to necro this thread, but I was about to make a thread on this exact same topic and figured I'd search for an old one first.

Personally I like the idea of a victory, but at the same time, I understand the desire not to have the ongoing war be interrupted.

If there are going to be separate servers that people can choose(didn't PS1 have different servers back in its golden age, and not just the one?) maybe one of them could be a victory-possible server that people could choose to play on, and victory could come whenever one faction captures X% of the world.

And here's another thought: What if the game never ends, but whenever a certain faction successfully captures a certain % of the world, some kind of news release about it comes out?

Speaking of news releases, are there any sites planning to do sort of pseudo-news coverage about battles?

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-12 at 07:04 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

EDIT: Sorry about my reaction Douser, I thought it was a new thread.

You are a great addition to this community !

Is it me or do we have 3 new threads per week about victory conditions ?

I said no and I said why at least twice. I will not bother explaining again. People need to understand that PS is a game with 3 FACTIONS. Take some time and THINK about it.

If you find a good victory condition that does not create more issues than it solves, please, share it with the devs.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mirror
First Sergeant

You "won" Planetside by sancing both other empires. You continued to win by keeping them stuck in the Sanc.

I guess Planetside 2 will be same lock/camp the empires in those footholds and laugh at them.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-03-12, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
fod
Master Sergeant

dont like victory conditions

the one thing i liked about PS1 was the never ending war
Old 2012-03-12, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Is it me or do we have 3 new threads per week about victory conditions ?

I said no and I said why at least twice. I will not bother explaining again. People need to understand that PS is a game with 3 FACTIONS. Take some time and THINK about it.

If you find a good victory condition that does not create more issues than it solves, please, share it with the devs.
I searched for victory and this is the thread that appeared, the only one.

What did you think about the game never ending but some sort of pseudo-news coverage for when one faction holds a superior majority of the continents?

And how would you share something with the devs other than posting here?

Edit: Saw your edit lol, yeah this was the only victory thread I could find.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

its a mmo if it had a victory conditions that would be end game

Not good in a MMO
Old 2012-03-12, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I searched for victory and this is the thread that appeared, the only one.

What did you think about the game never ending but some sort of pseudo-news coverage for when one faction holds a superior majority of the continents?

And how would you share something with the devs other than posting here?
We pretty much share a similar idea.

I tried to describe most of the issues I could find from trying to force a end-game victory condition into Planetside but I could not find anything perfect.

I'll link the few threads about victory conditions discussion I participated in before so you can get some reading and get a better idea about PS dynamics.

Edit:
End Game: Pros and Cons:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=39563

Winning Condition:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=35921

Resource distribution, whats right and fair?:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=38554

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-12 at 07:34 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

If you want to "win" have your faction control all of the rare resources.That will make the other 2 sides have to buy thing they want with station cash,and not with resources.That sounds like a win to me.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
If you want to "win" have your faction control all of the rare resources.That will make the other 2 sides have to buy thing they want with station cash,and not with resources.That sounds like a win to me.
Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
We pretty much share a similar idea.

I tried to describe most of the issues I could find from trying to force a end-game victory condition into Planetside but I could not find anything perfect.

I'll link the few threads about victory conditions discussion I participated in before so you can get some reading and get a better idea about PS dynamics.

Edit:
End Game: Pros and Cons:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=39563
Ah, I searched "win" and "victory", never thought to search for end-game...

See, I'm not so much attached to the idea of an overall victory as I am the possibility of a kind of news service that can report on major "victories" in a more micro sense...ie, THE ENTIRE CONTINENT X FALLS IN 2 HOURS AS FACTION Y FAILS TO HOLD THEIR GROUND could be an example.

And people could even do their own sort of "ireport" where they describe their squad/platoon/etc's battles as part of those things.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Ah, I searched "win" and "victory", never thought to search for end-game...

See, I'm not so much attached to the idea of an overall victory as I am the possibility of a kind of news service that can report on major "victories" in a more micro sense...ie, THE ENTIRE CONTINENT X FALLS IN 2 HOURS AS FACTION Y FAILS TO HOLD THEIR GROUND could be an example.

And people could even do their own sort of "ireport" where they describe their squad/platoon/etc's battles as part of those things.
I never thought about that reporting idea from people who participated in a victory !

While it would not solve the problem of creating a "fair" victory system, it would certainly promote trying to achieve victory as an empire.

I was thinking of uniquely numbered victories that would appear on some Hall of Fame listing victories on the official PS2 website and could also keep a history of which players were online when they happened and that gave them a merit to show it off and a Hall of Fame of victories on the official PS2 website.

The hard part really is about defining a fair victory condition for a game with 3 factions that will not be trivial.

Edit: btw, I listed the threads I was aware off that discuss victory conditions. If anyone knows other threads, please, help me link them.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kipper
Captain

I think its possible for individuals, squads, outfits and empires to "win" without stopping the game for everyone and saying "x won, now everything is back to zero".

Simply tally up the achievements for every day for tomorrows titles, once a week for next week's titles, once a month for next month's titles, and once a year for next year's titles.

There are plenty of achievements to go for - just a few:

Most Kills Total
Most Kills Per hour (subject to minimum hours)
Best/Worst Ratio
Best/Worst Streak
Best/Worst Accuracy
Most Air/Land/MAX/Infantry Kills as an Air/Land/Max/Infantry
etc etc

Each one could have a unique fame-indicating title for the 'level' (daily/weekly) such as veteran, distinguished, heroic etc as well as an appropriate description for the achievement - "Survivor", "Tankbuster" etc.

Crucually, the titles are temporary, the bigger the award, the longer you get to keep it (You'd always get a 'history' of your achievements to show off on the web, but only if you had an active title would it be seen in game).

If possible, you could also display different titles inside of an outfit - so your title might be "TR's distinguished survivor" and you're the only one in TR with that, but someone else in your outfit might be "[outfits] distinguished survivor". If one person wins all the titles consistently then the 2nd/3rd in line pick up the others after the most prestigious.

Outfits themselves could earn achievements for placing hacks or taking hexes/facilities (presumably determined by having the most number of players in the area when shit went down) so everyone in the organisation/or who took part gets to be known as the "Conquerors of [base]" until that base falls to another faction.

And uber titles could go to one person for achievements on the entire planet too.

That way, everyone gets a chance to win and have bragging rights for a lot of the time both within their empires and their factions, and without disrupting the battle. And because everything is internally reset for the next days/weeks/months scores to be calculated - a casual player gets as much chance at winning one as a veteran. (albeit not some of the long term ones perhaps - unless it was averaged out over time online above a minimum, so if you're in game 12 hours a day, it doesn't give you any advantage over a 2 hour a day person because it would be about consistency).

Thoughts?
Old 2012-03-12, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Remake this poll after launch and watch the ratio of yes to no be completely reversed.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion