News: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Even Ray Charles could see it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-25, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Re: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG

Originally Posted by Seafort View Post
I would look at the roadmap if I could

SOE have always been money orientated so whatever brings in more money will get their attention.
The roadmap has a surprisingly few amount of pure money making changes to the game. Sure there are some, but the majority aren't new weapons and cosmetics. I was happy to see that.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Eduard Khil
Private

Lol, planetside and E-sports?

Never thought, I would see the day.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

To be completely honest, they'd have more success with the exposure if they applied more of a Reality-Show or soap opera mindset rather than sports casting.

Sports is a timed event with clear rules and winners.
A reality show is persistant, with no real goal and the dramatic highlights making it to the daily/weekly episode.

If this sports event in some way interferes with or disconnect the normal flow of battle, you're going to get a nice bunch of upset people. Imagine fighting for three hours over a biolab and your just about to claim victory when it's being reset for some 30 minute event that doesn't concern you.

(FYI I'm not a fan of any reality show, but I could watch one if it was about PS2)

Last edited by Boomzor; 2013-01-25 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Same rules apply to PS2. Big fights no one is going to sustain interest in that. FNO they get about 10 viewers on twitch :P
FNO draws about 1800 viewers.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

So we take a massive online FPS, scale it down to bite sizes for MLG and hope for the best?
How are they going to do events? First one to take Indar wins? Most amount of territory held within a given time frame?
Are we talking outfit sized? Platoon sized? Squad sized?
Separate MLG servers? Or are they going to try and run a MLG match on a live server?

If they try to squeeze PS2 into MLG they're going to fuck it up and my guess is if they try to expand MLG to fit PS2, they're going to fuck it up. IDK, maybe we just need more info but I don't see anything that would indicate any kind of want for a service such as this.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-01-25, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dreamcast
Major

So basically they are going to be Organized outfits vs Organized outfits in continents except n00bs and solo players can't join?
Old 2013-01-25, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Everyone watching BF3 Esports these days? No because its boring as fuck to watch and no one cares.

Same rules apply to PS2. Big fights no one is going to sustain interest in that. FNO they get about 10 viewers on twitch :P

Esports are competitive, and require Balance on all levels.

What a joke. Unless they add 6v6 on a small scale no one will care. But then again COD fills that gap.
You're wrong on a lot of points here. For one, most competitive gamers are more interested in large scale fights than small scale. The small scale is old, it's not hard, and in the end it's not nearly as interesting from a competitive point of view. Large scale, epic fights, that involve *teams* organizing are what the competitive gamers out there want. I'm not refering to the Halo bads and such, more to the hardcore PC gamers.

eSports are competitive, however balance has never been the defining feature of them. All games are unbalanced in certain ways and the moba games are a perfect example of a massive eSports genre that has some of the worst balancing of any game genre.
6v6 and small scale in Planetside wouldn't even be interesting. Planetside is about outfits, as many many many PS1 vets have said, and it's about domination. 6v6 and small scale do not fit anywhere in that category which is why I believe they've stated MLG and PS2 will be WORKING to develop a system for the eSport.

And lastly your statement on FNO shows how out of context you are. It's obvious you have no idea about FNO, eSports, and in general it seems like you have no clue about PS2.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

soe is officially ran by a retarded monkey.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
If they try to squeeze PS2 into MLG they're going to fuck it up and my guess is if they try to expand MLG to fit PS2, they're going to fuck it up. IDK, maybe we just need more info but I don't see anything that would indicate any kind of want for a service such as this.
I don't see how they could or would try to fit PS2 into MLG. I think they're going more the route of MLG expanding it's scope. Right now they've been focused on small team vs team combat or one on one combat. I think this is SoE and MLG pairing up to move MLG into the MMO competitive gaming market that attracts a ton of players. Think EVE, Darkfall, DAoC, and soon to be ArcheAge, Black Desert, Repopulation, etc. These are games that have a massive hardcore PvP communities that play more than enough for MLG, but MLG has never offered anything on their scale.

How they're going to do it? I've no idea. But I think they're smart enough to realize they're not going to fit PS2 into MLG, but more work on another genre of MLG that fits PS2.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-01-25 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

i like how they said they were listening, and paid no attentionwhatsoever to people who said esports are bad (and you should feel bad for suggesting it).

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ringring
Contributor
General

Unfortunatly I have no interest in e-sports at all.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Eduard Khil
Private

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
So we take a massive online FPS, scale it down to bite sizes for MLG and hope for the best?
How are they going to do events? First one to take Indar wins? Most amount of territory held within a given time frame?
Are we talking outfit sized? Platoon sized? Squad sized?
Separate MLG servers? Or are they going to try and run a MLG match on a live server?

Exactly, there are enough problems balancing the game on a mass scale vs a small scale, MLG is only going to make it worse.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I wonder how they will be handling this, there will be game stations but, since PS2 isn't centered around a handful of players on each team battling it out, how will they handle outfit battles? It's hard enough to arrange transport for counter-strike teams.

Am I missing something here or are they going to allow teams to simply join a server without having to actually be there?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-01-25, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I wonder how they will be handling this, there will be game stations but, since PS2 isn't centered around a handful of players on each team battling it out, how will they handle outfit battles? It's hard enough to arrange transport for counter-strike teams.

Am I missing something here or are they going to allow teams to simply join a server without having to actually be there?
SOE is going to charter a jumbo jet to transport the entire enclave, 666th and azure faillight to a sports arena filled with computers.

lolol

Old 2013-01-25, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

A waste of resources and it leads the game in the wrong direction.
Anyway it will fail.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion