SOE does not intend to listen to feedback. Time for another method? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stays crunchy even in milk!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-26, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
BizSAR
Contributor
Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: SOE does not intend to listen to feedback. Time for another method?

Hey all, just getting back into the swing of things. It's been a while for sure.
Personally, I can think of nothing more boring than watching "esports". Why watch when you can play? The inflated egos that come with it and the "pros" that play and "ecast" leave a really rancid taste in my mouth. Will PS2 be any different from Starcraft in that respect? Time will tell, and it's effects sound forced upon us it seems.
Old 2013-01-26, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
lol.
/facepalm

Check the number before the Jan 13 part.
Good call. /faceplam indeed...

If e-sports bring in more people to play the game so be it. More people the better imo. If it doesn't work, then what do I care.
Old 2013-01-26, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

I think the esport thing could work. It will not work in a large scale as that would be boring, but would work in a smaller scale like Biodome, Amp Station, and Tech Plant fights. The area would have to be a bit bigger than current scale. 1 Objective (to capture the Biodome, Amp Station, Tech Planet), 3 bases (The outlying bases) for the 3 factions. First to control the base is the winner. For AnamNantom, this can still stay with the story, as each faction is fighting for control. As for Faction Vs Themselves, consider it training.

Rules: (Maybe/Idea)
1. Capture the main base and you win.
2. You can knock out the other team by capturing their base (and by doing so, you risk losing on capturing the main base as your forces is capturing something else and allowing the other team to build up defenses)
3. Small population cap maybe like 200 per side to make it even. (concider this a specialize team for those RP'er out there)
4. Set limit on resources (cannot be replenished or maybe small replenisment by kills), making Tanks, Sundies, Maxs, and anything that eats resources invaluable.
5. Make games last roughly 20-40mins

I would watch it for tactical information.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Pointman is being unreasonable and is looking for excuses to hate again.

Adding tournaments that take place outside of the regular game is not something any player has grounds to whine about.

Its fair to be upset about changes to the game that will effect the way you play or what happenes to you in game.

Its not reasonable to complain about added content that is optional and has no direct effect on the game world.
If you are going to complain about this then you should be whining everytime SOE releases any new game.
Is this a new game? No, it's Planetside. It's Massive. It's Global. It's a War simulator. One question: In what way does it make sense for warring factions to drop the fighting to run off and shoot each other in some gladiatorial sport while the war rages on elsewhere?

Instances. I hate that in a sandbox (open world game). Yet, I'd be ok if they did instances for outfits of the same faction to fight each other for a sort of practice/sport using non-lethal guns.

What do you think of this?
Old 2013-01-26, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

An idea I was kicking around the DD forums was a friday night raid night. Kind of like in other MMOs where everyone gets together and goes dungeon crawling except we would travel to other servers and fight with other outdits around the world. It sounds to me that this esport would actually work something like that except you get all your equipment and certs. I used to love raiding in eq and wow and I tried at least to foster some of that with my own outfit.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
An idea I was kicking around the DD forums was a friday night raid night. Kind of like in other MMOs where everyone gets together and goes dungeon crawling except we would travel to other servers and fight with other outfits around the world. It sounds to me that this esport would actually work something like that except you get all your equipment and certs. I used to love raiding in eq and wow and I tried at least to foster some of that with my own outfit.
Ok, but they said these were other instances. Not open world servers. You are not travelling to other servers. That said, if these are instances and you are away from the *real* war going on, it's like entire outfits just deserted their factions in order to go play games with the enemy.

It makes no sense. Planetside 2 has a great backstory and setting. Unless these instances are of the same faction and it's truly ppl playing laser tag with their own faction, I don't like it. I've played first person shooters since the days of Doom. In Doom, Quake, UT, and all the competitive first person shooters since, many didn't really have a reason for the pvp. Tribes did, Mechwarrior did.. I think of Planetside as a spiritual successor to the Tribes/Mechwarrior fps / simulator awesomeness that many of us love.

Make it a gladiator arena thing. An arena of outfits from the same faction. Have other players in the audience, sell popcorn and candy for SOE cash, I don't care, but don't ruin the game's backstory.

Yeah I'm sure some dope heads out there could care less for the story behind PS2, but they are dope heads with no imagination or passion for the coolness of it all. The story and the game's art and design go hand in hand. I'd hate to think that T-Ray's team did all that factional look and design for nothing.

My point is, we might as well be just playing as robots who are painted different team colors in a bland, featureless gray environment using the exact same weapons and gear if we are going to have warring factions playing an instanced game.

Last edited by AnamNantom; 2013-01-26 at 10:48 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
EightEightEight
Sergeant Major

YAY!!

Last edited by EightEightEight; 2013-01-26 at 10:51 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
TheAadvark
Corporal

Why are you taking this so seriously? Yes i understand that it would be against the story ,but still ? ok now here's a solution for you.

So we have a league inside each of our factions each of the outfits battle against each

other the winner or top two get to battle against the enemies top two over an area, this

could be server specific or across all servers.

The only problem with this is the amount of players one outfit might have like the DevilDogs they would dominate any other outfit ,

maybe you should make a shortlist of your best players and put them forward and cap the max number of players participating.

And for the "story" once the enemy forces know that the enemy has their elite troops are in an area will they not send their own best to combat them ?
Old 2013-01-26, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

We have a backstory? Dude, Im in this for the team aspect and to shoot people in the face.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
Is this a new game? No, it's Planetside. It's Massive. It's Global. It's a War simulator. One question: In what way does it make sense for warring factions to drop the fighting to run off and shoot each other in some gladiatorial sport while the war rages on elsewhere?

Instances. I hate that in a sandbox (open world game). Yet, I'd be ok if they did instances for outfits of the same faction to fight each other for a sort of practice/sport using non-lethal guns.

What do you think of this?
No one is asking you to play in tournaments - so dont bitch about what other people do.
The entire extent of your complaint is that itsnot forcing everyone to play with you. That isnt valid.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Rolfski
Major

E-sports is a double edged sword and SOE knows this. Voting on features was never meant to be a democracy, it's just a tool to (quoting T-Ray) "wield out the bad ideas".

TL,DR: Stop being a drama queen about it.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheAadvark View Post
Why are you taking this so seriously? Yes i understand that it would be against the story ,but still ? ok now here's a solution for you.

So we have a league inside each of our factions each of the outfits battle against each

other the winner or top two get to battle against the enemies top two over an area, this

could be server specific or across all servers.

The only problem with this is the amount of players one outfit might have like the DevilDogs they would dominate any other outfit ,

maybe you should make a shortlist of your best players and put them forward and cap the max number of players participating.

And for the "story" once the enemy forces know that the enemy has their elite troops are in an area will they not send their own best to combat them ?
I take it seriously because I'm serious about the game. If I were just a stats and numbers guy who wanted that status quo team-based game I'd be playing BF or CoD and only for trying to rank up.

What you are saying is good up until the point of the enemy forces. Enemy forces should only be met on the REAL battlefield.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
We have a backstory? Dude, Im in this for the team aspect and to shoot people in the face.
I'm in it for the team aspect, shooting in the face, and doing it on a massive scale that only PS1 had. Also, the story gives me a reason to shoot ppl in the face and makes it an immersive experience for all.

Here's a little backstory for you:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Henry_Briggs

Also, an illustration I did of this:

Old 2013-01-26, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
No one is asking you to play in tournaments - so dont bitch about what other people do.
The entire extent of your complaint is that itsnot forcing everyone to play with you. That isnt valid.
No, the entire extent of my complaint is exactly what I said, sir. You avoided my question:

In what way does it make sense for warring factions to drop the fighting to run off and shoot each other in some gladiatorial sport while the war rages on elsewhere?

I also offered something that made sense. Outfits of the same faction practicing with each other. You did not comment on that as I had asked.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

it is my personal opinion that MLG is the cancer of gaming. just, y'know, my two cents, not that i havent given it before.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion