Religion - Page 43 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boomshackalacka!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-23, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #631
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
You guys do realize... When I get drunk and I speak from my heart, everyone jumps on the band-wagon to say im wrong...
Stop getting drunk.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #632
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
Stop getting drunk.
I might be mistaken here, but... isn't getting drunk (certainly on a regular basis) a biblical sin?

Old 2012-05-23, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #633
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I might be mistaken here, but... isn't getting drunk (certainly on a regular basis) a biblical sin?

yes
Old 2012-05-23, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #634
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
What does the Bible say about MS/cancer/glaucoma patients getting high on medical weed?
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...01&version=KJV
Old 2012-05-23, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #635
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Interpret it for me, I suffer from Biblexia (an inborn condition that renders me incapable of understanding religion).
What makes you think I couldn't tell already?
Old 2012-05-25, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #636
excelle
Private

Sky Cake!!!!!!!
Old 2012-05-26, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #637
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

What does the Bible say about MS/cancer/glaucoma patients getting high on medical weed?
http://bible.cc/matthew/15-11.htm

What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'"

Christian Bible doesn't care about what people eat. On the other hand, Jesus said that he wasn't there to supplant the teachings of the Old Testament, and the OT definitely calls shellfish an abomination, amongst other things. So if you're a Christian you have Matthew there saying that what you consume doesn't make a difference, the OT stuff saying it does, and you stuck in the middle wondering why, if God was so smart and cared so much about what people did with themselves, he couldn't make a book that got its fucking facts straight.

The prohibition against weed is not based on religious teachings. Like abortion, which the Bible also thinks is fine and dandy, it's simply about one part of society trying to control another part. In the case of weed, it's people who imagine good little Christian boys and girls who love Jesus being somehow magically made less good by the corrupting influence of the devil-weed. These people only care about trying to make their/other people's children become just like they/their parents are -- ignorant, close-minded, boring motherfuckers whose only goal in life is to make new Christians, get paychecks, and praise God.
Old 2012-05-27, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #638
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Jesus was suspiciously silent on battery acid.
Old 2012-05-30, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #639
kertvon
Sergeant

I don't think anybody or anyone is qualified to define something they had no hand in creating. No matter how well educated an individual is on our universe, their best conclusions(even by means of extensive experimentation) could still be miles off. Yea we understand a lot about our universe, but nobody can know something better than the one who made it. With that being said, I have chosen not to entrust my life to the ideology of fallible men. While there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from well educated people, they simply cannot answer the critical questions.

I was raised in church and drifted away from my faith for some years. I recall some of the things I got into and particularly instances where I was calling on demonic entities. I sensed the battle going on inside of me, but I ignored the still small voice. Today I am fully devoted to Christ and I will never turn back. I've lived for myself, my goals and dreams, and even religion for years and nothing else has come close to a relationship with Him. I will rep Christ until I die.

With that being said, it is never my place to judge a non-believer. If God himself has chosen not to interfere with the decisions of men then who am I to do the opposite. I hope for a day when people realize that accurate devotion to God is driven by a desire for people to encounter, by their own decision, a creator, and not by taking His Word and shoving it in their faces.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #640
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

And I guess you just know somehow that the Christian religion is the correct one, and it's just a coincidence that that's the religion you were raised with? What do you think of the fact that people who are born into Muslim countries to a very large extent become Muslim and not Christian? Do you think they feel any less certain about their faith than you do?

I think it's fine if people want to believe in a God or Gods. Everyone has their own way of digesting the reality of being a very finite being in a very expansive and uncaring universe. I just think there's something really quite silly about feeling strongly about any particular religion, as there are all sorts of them, no one is really dominant in any real sense, they all seem to inspire their adherents equally well, and they all say fundamentally incompatible things about the world. Falling into the religion of the culture that raised you just seems so obvious to me.

Also, pro tip, but Jesus didn't write the Bible, men did many years after the fact.
Old 2012-05-31, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #641
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Also, pro tip, but Jesus didn't write the Bible, men did many years after the fact.
I wouldn't do that. Using logic like that mixed with this:
Originally Posted by kertvon View Post
With that being said, I have chosen not to entrust my life to the ideology of fallible men.
Could do interesting things to a person who doesn't question their religion, especially one who admits they could make mistakes. Mistakes in reasoning being a key theme. It's interesting why one would view fallibility as a purely negative thing. To the enlightened fallibility is a learning experience for oneself and society. (For simpler organisms fallibility is still basic evolution ).

Yea we understand a lot about our universe, but nobody can know something better than the one who made it.
It's an interesting assumption to start off with. Duke uses this same argument to justify his religious beliefs in this thread also. The concept that because humans haven't unraveled everything completely yet means it's impossible to place trust in the current theories. The same phrase could be spoken 8K years ago to an Egyptian. "You know how to make pottery, but you don't know how an atom works yet." The understanding that we might be so far from unraveling all the unknowns. Though arguably our current understanding of the universe enables us to fly and go into space which is a step up on the level of understanding. Though still not good enough. As I said to Duke sadly for both of us we were born in the wrong age to fully comprehend the universe.

The assumption that there was something at first, and it was a sentient being that fully understood everything after first creating it is an interesting hypothesis. Though to follow the Christian creation myth with the "little" we know it's completely unrealistic and you'd really need to have blind faith to follow its contradictions. (If you are thinking there are no contradictions then you have very little understanding of the "little" humanity has learned). "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Research if you're curious. The best way to be stuck in a religion is to not ask questions. (Sadly from some religions, like Jehovah Witnesses, followers are trained for years to not ask certain questions).

However, I think you might need to talk with a professional:
I was raised in church and drifted away from my faith for some years. I recall some of the things I got into and particularly instances where I was calling on demonic entities.
Those kind of thought patterns of "demonic entities" in one's thoughts is a classic defense mechanisms religious people use so they don't have to face their real thoughts or to try to label them as spiritual and outside the body. Personally to me it sounds unhealthy and something where you're looking for a higher power to solve a problem that you can't deal with. I don't know if your church indoctrinated you the same way as some do through guilt. That is they ingrain into believers that they are fallible and make mistakes usually labeling them "sins" and that they can't redeem themselves except through a deity (in the Christian religion the prophet/deity Jesus depending on the version). That is they are dependent on religion for salvation. This is really something someone has to come up with on their own if they can solve their own problems or if they are stigma'ed with "sin" (or even original sin) that exists in a spiritual sense that can never be removed. That guilt system that already exists when people make mistakes is essentially preyed on. It's something one has to figure out on their own. (If it makes it easier most Atheists view it as a psychological scam, but to understand that you might need to think about it for a while).
Old 2012-05-31, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #642
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

No matter how well educated an individual is on our universe, their best conclusions(even by means of extensive experimentation) could still be miles off. Yea we understand a lot about our universe, but nobody can know something better than the one who made it. With that being said, I have chosen not to entrust my life to the ideology of fallible men. While there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from well educated people, they simply cannot answer the critical questions. .
Hello Kertvon. Forgive me if I'm adding to the pile-on. I had a simple question. What are the 'critical questions' you're concerned with? I'm not magical or divine but I may be able to help you out there, and save you some time.
Old 2012-05-31, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #643
kertvon
Sergeant

*sigh*
Old 2012-05-31, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #644
kertvon
Sergeant

“A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic – on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg – or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

- C.S. Lewis

that is all, I have nothing more to say.
Old 2012-05-31, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #645
Sirisian
Colonel

that is all, I have nothing more to say.
Poe's law is strong. I couldn't tell you were joking before I guess. Sorry for that.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum