News: Planetside 2 beta plans - Page 50 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Everything below this line is pure awesome.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-15, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #736
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 beta plans

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I get 80 to PS1. This is not "Great ping".
It's actually fairly great ping. Under 100ms, it makes little notable difference, especially since most games have lag compensation easily covering that little notable difference and then some. It's when you start pushing the 250+ range that it can get painful. 400+ and it starts to feel unplayable and you're downright at a disadvantage so you're not having much fun either. 700+ and the game IS unplayable.

~200ms is somewhere in between painful and great. You notice the lag, but it's only an instant of lag, and in a game with proper lag compensation, rubber banding is extremely minimal, and you can still pull off some good kills reliably.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #737
Dagron
Captain

Yep, that's actually why i say you're used to having great ping. You might feel 80 is not great for you, but that's because living so close to the servers you theoretically could get better ping. But what i meant was that to people who live so far away like me, getting around 150 is the best possible scenario.

My point is that we're used to having such high ping and we hardly notice the difference if it's below 200, so blacklisting a server for having more than 80 is a little extreme.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-15 at 02:17 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #738
helioN
Corporal

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
you do realize you just broke your NDA just with that statement right? lol

I don't care but just sayin..careful I am sure there are some narcs up in here.
Should i laugh or cry?
Old 2012-07-15, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #739
SonicBoom
Private

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
It's actually fairly great ping. Under 100ms, it makes little notable difference, especially since most games have lag compensation easily covering that little notable difference and then some. It's when you start pushing the 250+ range that it can get painful. 400+ and it starts to feel unplayable and you're downright at a disadvantage so you're not having much fun either. 700+ and the game IS unplayable.

~200ms is somewhere in between painful and great. You notice the lag, but it's only an instant of lag, and in a game with proper lag compensation, rubber banding is extremely minimal, and you can still pull off some good kills reliably.
I wouldn't say 700 ping is unplayable I play BF3, WoW, and PS1 with 600+ and manage to do pretty well. Its not by choice though I just live an area where the only internet available is satellite. Trust me if I could get at least dsl I would switch in a heartbeat. What will probably make you say wtf the connection is 16 down 4 up but the pings are horrible .

I told one of the guys in my squad in ps1 I was playing with a 600+ ping he couldn't believe it because he was having issues playing with a 200 ping lol.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #740
Timey
Staff Sergeant

It's not about the ping, it's about the netcode & packet loss today. Sure, playing Qwtf back in the day was pretty horrendous with a ping of over 240.. but I can play the modern games pretty well on US servers (From winland). Sure, I still get fragged because my foe has a ping advantage, but it's a lot more rare than 10 years ago :]
Old 2012-07-15, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #741
SonicBoom
Private

Originally Posted by Timey View Post
It's not about the ping, it's about the netcode & packet loss today. Sure, playing Qwtf back in the day was pretty horrendous with a ping of over 240.. but I can play the modern games pretty well on US servers (From winland). Sure, I still get fragged because my foe has a ping advantage, but it's a lot more rare than 10 years ago :]
I agree with PS1 my pings are usually 650 to 680 but I stay around 0.0 to 0.2% loss now it gets a bit unplayable when it jumps up to say 1.5 to 2% loss or more 1.5 is playable but you start having lag getting equipment and doors start not to open lol.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #742
SonicBoom
Private

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
No offense and I'm sure people will spam how intelligent they are. But you guys really don't have a clue about ping and / or netcode.
I know I don't I was just trying to point out even with very bad ( high ) pings I am still able to play ( some ) games and still hold my own and be productive.
Old 2012-07-15, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #743
Timey
Staff Sergeant

No offense and I'm sure people will spam how intelligent they are. But you guys really don't have a clue about ping and / or netcode.
I'll be the first idiot to ask you to explain your point, then?
Old 2012-07-15, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #744
pytchoun
Private

I don't think we play before 1 week
Old 2012-07-15, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #745
Doxy
Staff Sergeant

Do enlighten us then =]
Old 2012-07-15, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #746
SergeantNubins
Corporal

There is a noticeable difference in gameplay performance the lower you get your ping for everyone. Anyone who says someone with a 100 ping doesnt have an advantage over someone with a 200 ping is just talking crap.

It is easier now to play with a high ping in a modern game, because of advances in client side prediction (so you dont have to predict where they will be yourself when teh shot finaly leaves your gun), but ultimately if you have 2 players shooting at each other (or even multiple players shooting at one), the person whose computer is able to tell the server first that they got the killing shot, is the one that gets the kill. .1 of a second may not seem like much but in .1 of a second a bullet will have travelled 300 foot.

It's like having a queue of instructions for the server and players with better pings are able to cut a few places ahead in line.
Old 2012-07-15, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #747
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I didn't mean any personal offense on your part. There are so many unknown factors as to why a community forms the way it does, nobody can be held responsible.

You meant no personal offense need I refer to your words below. You call this one of the worst communities that you have experienced. Something that Hamma has put his blood,sweat and tears into for coming on 10 years now. Maybe instead of complaining trying give this community more then a 5 min chance. Trolling and insults come along with all communities but I'd have to say PSU has by far some of the best members around.

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Funny, this is one of the worst communities that I have ever experienced. It is only slightly ahead of MMORPG.com.

To put it bluntly, this community is dumb. This is far more infuriating than any amount of insults or trolls. You can still have discussions with people insulting each other, I can't say the same here.

Of course, not everyone in the community falls in that description, and you know who you are if you don't.
Old 2012-07-15, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #748
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by helioN View Post
Should i laugh or cry?
you can do either or both i don't care

Just tryin to warn dude. careful the NDA police are everywhere for that game he is referring to.

But thanks for the dumb comment.
Old 2012-07-15, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #749
Chronicle
Private

Drama and speculations. How I love the internet.
Old 2012-07-15, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #750
infy
Corporal

When will you kids grow up ? LMFAOOOROFLOL nubs
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion