News: PlanetSide Universe visits SOE Next Week! - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not the face!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-16, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info
Re: PlanetSide Universe visits SOE Next Week!

Moon phases? Will some nights be darker than others?
Old 2012-05-16, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
Coolbeans.

How long does night last?

Originally Posted by laelgon View Post
What's going to keep people from just cranking up the brightness setting during night time so they can keep all their normal attachments and bypass night vision and flashlights?
The fact that night-time affects contrast in a way that hampers you more than simply the brightness, and also the fact that it would make bases and flashlights blindingly bright.

Originally Posted by Logri View Post
#1 Music of Planetside, I always enjoyed the music while playing. Old remasterd music or brand new original inspired?
Well we know Don Ferrone's back and I think he said it was new tracks, but in much the same style as the original.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.

Last edited by Khrusky; 2012-05-16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 2012-05-16, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I don't always put a cap in the Beta Jug... but when I do, it says 'Dos Equis'.
I've only had that a couple of times, but good call, it's really nice.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-05-16, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Xyntech
Brigadier General

They could do stuff like treating players who no lights turned on who are at a certain distance the same as fully invisible cloakers are treated. Completely transparent, possibly without even sending packets to players who are outside of a certain range.

This distance could vary depending on the brightness, with the brightest nights having the same viewing distance as daylight, but the darkest nights having players count as invisible until they are within several dozen meters. Perhaps with a certain shader on them so that they count as invisible except when passing in front of bright light sources, to mimic the real life effect of silhouetting.

Obviously anyone using an active light source would be visible at long range still.

They could also do other effects like atmospheric fog and other post processing effects to blur and restrict vision on more distant objects at night.

Shaders and game technology in general have gotten pretty advanced lately. We are a long way ahead of the times when gamma correction could destroy any attempt to conceal things in darkness. It will certainly be something that the devs will have to pay attention to though.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 2012-05-16, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
They could do stuff like treating players who no lights turned on who are at a certain distance the same as fully invisible cloakers are treated. Completely transparent, possibly without even sending packets to players who are outside of a certain range.

This distance could vary depending on the brightness, with the brightest nights having the same viewing distance as daylight, but the darkest nights having players count as invisible until they are within several dozen meters. Perhaps with a certain shader on them so that they count as invisible except when passing in front of bright light sources, to mimic the real life effect of silhouetting.

Obviously anyone using an active light source would be visible at long range still.

They could also do other effects like atmospheric fog and other post processing effects to blur and restrict vision on more distant objects at night.

Shaders and game technology in general have gotten pretty advanced lately. We are a long way ahead of the times when gamma correction could destroy any attempt to conceal things in darkness. It will certainly be something that the devs will have to pay attention to though.
Just do what Splinter Cell did, i think they did this. When you were in a pitch black corner and turned up the brightness, it didn't get any easier to see, but all that happened was instead of hiding in black you were hiding in grey
Old 2012-05-16, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

May have already been answered but will the game (at launch) support Crossfire & SLI?
Old 2012-05-17, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
cellinaire
Captain

1) Max view distance.

2) Their plans/precautions on implementing wildlife to make the game world more alive.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
May have already been answered but will the game (at launch) support Crossfire & SLI?
In the "TotalBiscuit visits SOE" thread there was a picture of TB's boy playing on a laptop which drew this comment:

That laptop uses 2 power cords and has SLIed cards in it, it's a beast.

So, yes, I guess.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
Noivad
Master Sergeant

With all you have done for the community, it would be nice for SOE to pick up the tab. Have a great time

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are
Old 2012-05-17, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

Ask for permission to take a few screenshots while playing so that you can use them while writing a huge post about the gameplay!
Old 2012-05-17, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Awesome Hamma!

My main question is this:

Will the ships have YPR, top speed, acceleration, booster top speed / duration and other performance and handling modifiers/sidegrades (like engines/boosters in SWG had)?

The reason I ask is because there are some fun play style choices to be had here. Do you want to trade some top speed for better roll, pitch, and acceleration so can you roll out of a pursuit and boost away? Or do you want to drop some YPR for more top speed and acceleration? How about a booster that has a lower top speed, but faster acceleration? Or maybe booster that has a really long burn time, the highest top speed, but the lowest acceleration? All of these choices have a time and place they would be useful for any player, but more importantly, this level of customization allows a player enjoy what works for them.

Given how dynamic and random the battles will be, in a lot of cases it just wont even be possible to say, "this is the right way to fly", so I hope in PS2 there will be more than one way to fly.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Hamma
PSU Admin

Sadly folks we aren't going to be allowed to do any direct capture. Totalbiscuits footage will be what you guys will have to feed on for the near future.

I will be doing video in studio though of what is going on as well as a video interview with the devs based on your feedback in this thread.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-17, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I want an official weigh in on my Outfit Air Cruisers idea. It has been eight years in the making after all.
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Sadly folks we aren't going to be allowed to do any direct capture. Totalbiscuits footage will be what you guys will have to feed on for the near future.

I will be doing video in studio though of what is going on as well as a video interview with the devs based on your feedback in this thread.
I just want to reiterate, my OAC idea is gaining ground, and we would all like one or more devs to weigh in on it. No firm commitments needed or anything, just been so long since the advent of this and never once has any SOE dev commented on it.

We appreciate your limited time for questions.

PS: Don't forget to Cleggfrag TRay.

Old 2012-05-17, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Vashyo
First Sergeant

not sure if asked or answered allready, but

I would really like to know more about how they're going to do mission/command-system for outfits/squads/etc. Meaning what kind of stuff are leaders capable of doing.

for example, can they still draw on the map like in PS1 or how and who gets access to orbital strike? It was spammed bit too much for my taste in first game.
Old 2012-05-18, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

Ok everyone we are starting to get the question list in order Please get your questions in!

Also any request you'd like us to try and see while there we will try but no guarantees

Last edited by Jennyboo; 2012-05-18 at 09:53 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion