News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where breaking through the back door is not a robbery.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-08, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
if you get mouthpooped kindly point the offender to fireflys general direction and enjoy the show ;-)
I second the motion to hire Firefly as a CSR for PS2.

Old 2011-09-08, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
xlopwat
Private

One other thing, not trying to come across too "ranty" here! Just speaking my mind.. But this could also bring more hackers to the game. It's happened in planetside with free trials and more noticeably with APB (All Points Bulletin).

Still, can't wait for this game either way! Let's hope this cheat prevention is damn good!
Old 2011-09-08, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Answers inline
No matter how small the change it won't be 100% balanced unless it's the same exact gun IMO. Meaning if the small change on the gun purchased from $ gives even a slight edge, we're back to the whole "selling power". If Gun X refers to a pink jackhammer as opposed to a normal one but they're still the same aside from color that's different.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Bags
Lieutenant General

Lynx, everyone knows pink is overpowered.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
No matter how small the change it won't be 100% balanced unless it's the same exact gun IMO. Meaning if the small change on the gun purchased from $ gives even a slight edge, we're back to the whole "selling power". If Gun X refers to a pink jackhammer as opposed to a normal one but they're still the same aside from color that's different.
Not unless every gun you can buy, you can also earn in the game.

Exclusive Station Cash Guns is what im worried about. Some guns that can only be purchased through Station cash that have a sort of advantage the others done.

Last edited by Tigersmith; 2011-09-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Shogun
Contributor
General

ueber hello kitty cannon only 20$

can ibe earned ingame by killing 200 enemys who are wielding this weapon.
so it would be exclusive for buyers for a short time, but eventually you can hunt it down ingame

Last edited by Shogun; 2011-09-08 at 03:11 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Lynx, everyone knows pink is overpowered.
Dude you know it lol.

@Tigersmith, ok I should have specified. Sure if we can ALSO get said guns through gameplay that's fine. But yes station cash specific guns would be a big nono unless strictly aesthetic.

ALSO @Bags, Pony guns?
Old 2011-09-08, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Hamma
PSU Admin

Smed has said before they aren't selling power.

From his comments it appears you will be able to buy the same exact gun that you can also earn from other methods.

It's the standard F2P type of deal, some people will pay for things others will earn them via different methods.

I can't imagine they would be ANYTHING BUT the SAME EXACT GUN you can earn another way.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-08, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
FIREk
Captain

I wonder... Is there a lot of cheating in Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2? They're free and I don't remember seeing a lot of blatant cheaters there...

My first thought was that LoL/HoN-like games, as well as MMORPGs, can benefit from the F2P model more conveniently than FPS games. The reason would be simple - there isn't that much room for cheating in such games, at least in my opinion.
A cheater in an FPS game gains an instant, massive advantage from lightning-quick, surgically precise aiming - simply from an application moving the viewpoint to an appropriate model's bones (if I recall correctly).
I don't think you can gain a massive advantage using this kind of simple mechanic in a tactical/strategy game like LoL/HoN, so cheating isn't much of a problem there. Player skill can't be replaced by a simple mechanic there (unless there are cheats that disable fog of war, or something, but that should be fixed by server-side restrictions on what each client should and shouldn't "know").

While cheating is easier in an FPS game, there are Source games with VAC which seems to do a pretty good job at making cheat-makers' jobs harder. So let's hope PS2's cheat protection will be as high standard as Valve's.

Unfortunately I know APB's fate all to well and have been on the receiving end of cheats there for a few months, until I gave up. Interestingly enough, there were tons of cheaters back when it was a pay-to-play game, too.
You must keep in mind, though, that it was an Unreal Engine 3 game - I'm positive that this fact alone made developing cheats for it almost trivial. PS2 will use a brand-new engine and, hopefully, this alone will make it very difficult to develop cheats.

Finally, as for banning users, APB: Reloaded was supposed to allow banning by hard drive serial number. If that works, and one can't just emulate that serial number (much like emulating a MAC address), that would be a good mechanic for actually banning someone in a F2P game.

So maybe it's not really a significant problem?
Old 2011-09-08, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Stopped reading after two pages of pointless crying and bitching about vague statements. If I missed something relevant on pages 3-7 or whatever, oh fucking well.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Is this seriously the only person that understands this? The Chinese version being developed for China by The9 is probably not the same game running in the US and Europe.

There's a reason they had to work with The9 in the first place. It's not just to put up separate servers over there. The9 is making actual changes to the game to fit the payment model expected by the Chinese audience.
I can back this statement up by citing precedence. Warhammer Online was released to the Chinese as almost a wholly different game - I worked on the localisation for it. The game over there had a whole lot of stuff removed because certain things are deemed illegal or immoral, so we had to basically rebuild the game cosmetically. It also had different payment models. Granted, I don't work for SOE so I have no idea what they are doing. But it's not a big leap of simple logic.

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Crafting? Aliens?

If I wanted to shoot AI, I'd Play WoW

If I wanted to Craft weapons and sell them, I'd play WoW

I don't play WoW

I'm trying not to panic, I know it's a Chinese translation, but this thread gives me diarrhea.
This.

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I second the motion to hire Firefly as a CSR for PS2.
No, because I worked CS for Bioware-Mythic and having to sit there and be firm but polite with some snotnosed little dipshit cocksucker is not my idea of a good time, which is why I transferred to a developer position.

And despite Dan Binter aka CSR-DanB aka Brewko's complete and utter faggotry to players, I bet SOE has policies in place that make their CSRs be nice. And I don't wanna be nice to anyone who's an asshole unless they're planning to let me put it in their butt.

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2011-09-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

I wonder if there will still be a sub, and by subing you gain faster experience and maybe skip the first couple "levels" of a particular class by earning a points each month or if you do a 6month to year sub your given all those points at once. just something to think about.

oh and if it did work this way i would sub for a year first day so i could be setting well in my medic/gal pilot =)

Yes i want to be a Medic do you have a problem with that?. :P

Last edited by Bruttal; 2011-09-08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Exclusive Station Cash Guns is what im worried about. Some guns that can only be purchased through Station cash that have a sort of advantage the others done.
Everyone is worried about buying guns and weapons that will be different from the normal ones, im more worried about the +% skill time / buying resources and stuff like that that even LoL has.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2011-09-08, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Whoknowswhat1 View Post
Everyone is worried about buying guns and weapons that will be different from the normal ones, im more worried about the +% skill time / buying resources and stuff like that that even LoL has.
yeah honestly i think buying a wep even if it is someing u can get in game with time isnt cool i think skill points would be better
Old 2011-09-08, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
I wonder... Is there a lot of cheating in Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2? They're free and I don't remember seeing a lot of blatant cheaters there...
The average player sucks too much at TF2 for this to be the case. If the average player is hacking... dear god that's pathetic.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Smed has said before they aren't selling power.

From his comments it appears you will be able to buy the same exact gun that you can also earn from other methods.

It's the standard F2P type of deal, some people will pay for things others will earn them via different methods.

I can't imagine they would be ANYTHING BUT the SAME EXACT GUN you can earn another way.
This. Hopefully.

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
ALSO @Bags, Pony guns?
Only if it shoots rainbows. Or gems.
Old 2011-09-08, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
No, because I worked CS for Bioware-Mythic and having to sit there and be firm but polite with some snotnosed little dipshit cocksucker is not my idea of a good time, which is why I transferred to a developer position.

And despite Dan Binter aka CSR-DanB aka Brewko's complete and utter faggotry to players, I bet SOE has policies in place that make their CSRs be nice. And I don't wanna be nice to anyone who's an asshole unless they're planning to let me put it in their butt.
And the bolded is exactly why I'd want someone like you to deal with the snot nosed brats that think yelling racist words is funny.

Also, you did miss alot by skipping all the panic, but just go to the VIP tracker and see what Smed said.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion