Gun Control - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Safe from spawncamping.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-30, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Gun Control

Doesn't matter. With technology trends gun control is never going to work. I know two people who have built multiple guns already by copying designs they found online 1:1. As much as it's fun to say this kind of stuff is rare, it's becoming extremely easy to manufacture guns. (CNC machines are very cheap to own )

I know someone else with two 50 caliber sniper rifles. He's fired them at the range a few times, but is mostly a gun collector with probably 20 or more guns and rifles. Some people just like collecting them. There's no harm in doing it unless they are stolen, but that is kind of obvious.

We need to probably start targeting the real problems for gun crimes and violence with guns. I'm not sure what that is because I don't really care, but I'm sure it's something psychological or income related. Which probably relates to why some people believe not everyone should be able to own guns, but is more of a quick fix than a solution to the root problem.
Old 2012-07-30, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I dunno enough about the Arms Regulation treaty to say one way or the other, but it is kind of funny that the world's #1 exporter of small arms is the one who killed it. I know China and Russia weren't hot on it either, but "well China and Russia didn't like it either" isn't exactly comforting.

But yeah, Americans are so in love with their toys that any politician who threatens to take them away gets NRA money working to unseat them next election. Not exactly a smart move to get on the wrong side of the murder industry in an election year.

Originally Posted by ziegler View Post
Bombs were a part of his plan.
But suicide wasn't, so how was he going to get a bomb into a theatre without strapping it to his body and somehow smuggling it in like in Inglourious Basterds? It complicates things a hell of a lot. It's far easier to just buy some assault rifle and go to town.

And that's the point. It isn't that there is no possible way to kill someone except for using a pistol or assault rifle, it's that it's way, way easier to kill when these weapons are easily available. Once you start regulating those things, the number of killers declines, while the number of people incarcerated for attempting illegal weapons acquisition goes up.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-07-30 at 08:32 PM.
Old 2012-07-30, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Are you trying to tell us that it is harder to sneak a bomb into a theatre than it is an assault rifle?

Old 2012-07-30, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

"A bomb" is pretty non-specific. A bomb that he'd be able to smuggle in and plant at a busy cinema where nobody would see him/the device, and it'd do enough damage to kill/wound the amount his shooting did, and wouldn't kill him in the process? Yeah. That would be harder to do than having some guns inside a trench coat and pulling them out at the chosen moment.
Old 2012-07-31, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
It's an election year, Figment.
You do realise bribes are a big thing in banana republics?
Old 2012-07-31, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
ziegler
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
"A bomb" is pretty non-specific. A bomb that he'd be able to smuggle in and plant at a busy cinema where nobody would see him/the device, and it'd do enough damage to kill/wound the amount his shooting did, and wouldn't kill him in the process? Yeah. That would be harder to do than having some guns inside a trench coat and pulling them out at the chosen moment.
If accounts are to be believed at this point....he got up, went out the emergency door, got the guns and came back in and tossed a couple of smoke grenades and opened fire.

It would be just as easy to take a vest of dynamite and step inside the door, sling it into the middle of the room, step back to the car and set it off. much easier.......
Old 2012-07-31, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

And yet that requires the knowledge and ability to rig a remote-detonated vest of dynamite. And it requires dynamite, which not just any asshole could go to the store and purchase. And in the process of throwing the thing 15 m through the air it requires nothing to come loose or otherwise prevent detonation after being hurled that distance and landing on some flailing arms.

It isn't anything like easier. It's more dangerous for him on account of the propensity for dynamite to, y'know, explode, it's harder to assemble, and less reliable than pointing a gun at someone and putting a bullet into them. Plus explosives are something that the government no doubt cares about people trying to acquire when they ought not to be, on account of the terrorism shit. So simply acquiring the stuff ends up being very risky in itself, whereas going to the store and legally buying a gun is not risky, because it's legal.
Old 2012-07-31, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Why would he be using dynamite? That's retarded. Plenty of more accessible and 'safer' explosives.

Old 2012-07-31, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
ziegler
Master Sergeant

And yet that requires the knowledge and ability to rig a remote-detonated vest of dynamite. And it requires dynamite, which not just any asshole could go to the store and purchase. And in the process of throwing the thing 15 m through the air it requires nothing to come loose or otherwise prevent detonation after being hurled that distance and landing on some flailing arms.

It isn't anything like easier. It's more dangerous for him on account of the propensity for dynamite to, y'know, explode, it's harder to assemble, and less reliable than pointing a gun at someone and putting a bullet into them. Plus explosives are something that the government no doubt cares about people trying to acquire when they ought not to be, on account of the terrorism shit. So simply acquiring the stuff ends up being very risky in itself, whereas going to the store and legally buying a gun is not risky, because it's legal.
dynamite without the cap...is inert. very safe.

And it wasnt dynamite that he used, they havent revealed what it was, but it was a 2 stage reaction, in that one material mixed with another results in explosion from what I read. basically had the door rigged to release one mat in to the other when the door was pushed open.

So far as a theater..it's still easy in rural areas to get larger quantities of fertilizer.
Old 2012-07-31, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Yes, no, you're right. It is clearly easier to acquire the materials needed to build a powerful explosive, learn how to properly assemble said explosive device, and use said device in a crowded theatre without a) killing yourself or b) having your plan blown by either your device not working, someone realizing you're using it, or whatever. I'm sure his decision to use an assault rifle he legally purchased from the store was just to challenge him as pointing a gun at people and pulling the trigger is certainly more difficult than building a bomb and using it without dying.
Old 2012-07-31, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
Figment
Lieutenant General

Well he might forget to flick of the safety switch... >.>

And the childproof caps.
Old 2012-07-31, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #207
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Much like everything else in your ass backwards country you're about two centuries behind on surpassing us at something. Enjoy being our northern Mexico.

PS: Your country fights wars that we want you to fight. Canadian soldiers are dying fighting our war. I guess being "more rich" than us doesn't prevent your government from bending at the knee at the beck and whim of our very own now does it?

Yes, no, you're right. It is clearly easier to acquire the materials needed to build a powerful explosive, learn how to properly assemble said explosive device, and use said device in a crowded theatre without a) killing yourself or b) having your plan blown by either your device not working, someone realizing you're using it, or whatever. I'm sure his decision to use an assault rifle he legally purchased from the store was just to challenge him as pointing a gun at people and pulling the trigger is certainly more difficult than building a bomb and using it without dying.
Fertilizer bomb, Farmers use them all of the time for clearing stumps around property.

Seeing as how we're talking about bombs now and no longer discussing guns I can see that my post has successfully killed the moronic anti-gun arguments in this thread. I was happy to educate each and every one of you and I will take your tribute at a later date and time.

/thread

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-07-31 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2012-07-31, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
Figment
Lieutenant General

*tickles Buzz*

<3 You just want to protect yer bizniz cause us silleh non-US aren't making you any profitz!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-01, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 02:24 AM.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #210
Figment
Lieutenant General

So if you, corporations or other lobby groups pay off politicians to vote in a particular way, this is god blessing America?

http://publicampaign.org/blog/2012/0...nras-big-money

Dundunduuuuuuuuuun.

Are you really that naive Malorn? Or do you just not want to know how they keep guns on the street, just as long as they do it? The end justifies the means? That it?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-08-01 at 03:12 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum