SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hot and steamy _________
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm doing targeted feedback threads on all items from Smed's Blog. This one is for seamless continents.

Thoughts!
Submarines, FTW!

Originally Posted by IHateMMOs View Post
I doubt they have enough tech to make Planetside 2 take place on an entire planet with no loading screen, but I can see water based battlefield.

Yeah they do!
Old 2012-08-11, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Thoughts!

I'm down with naval units.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

I don't think even the strongest PC can handle something like that.
Of course it's possible. Why would it not be?
Old 2012-08-11, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
Of course it's possible. Why would it not be?
Well it must be aveilable to everyone playing PS2(not only those with strongest maschines), he said they dont want to divide the community.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Comet
First Sergeant

Make it so you can travel to each continent using land, air and sea. If it's limited to just one of those options, the gameplay might become too predictable, IE, if you know the enemy is coming from another continent, you also know they must come by the sea.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ComerEste
Corporal

My first thought of this was something like BF1942/1943 in the Pacific, was always fun to jump in a Destroyer and shell an island. Knowing how SOE designed the look of all the vehicles and aircraft, it would be interesting to see how they would do "futuristic" naval ships. VS would probably all be hover ships, NC probably be like space ships that have been re-purposed into being naval ships, TR probably be close to real life modern navies from like US or Russia.

Should they work on the idea? Hell yes. Even if takes a while for them to do and they tell the teams that they can work on it at their leisure. Would be cool if they designed a whole new set of bases specifically for the water, like an oil rig or something.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

If there is nothing but sea between the continents it would be boring.
We need a lot of islands between the continents. Perhaps with outfit bases on them.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

there is a ocean continent thread in the ideas forum here. suggestions for vehicles and maps and how infantry would fit in.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43018

not sure how far down the line a seemless world would be, but in the mean time i am sure SOE could make continents based on water. i made a suggestion in the above link about having a map based on an land locked sea like can be found in some C&C games. would have a large, but not overly large water area as well as plenty of land around it and islands/labs spread in the sea.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Satyxis
Private

There are a lot of places this could go wrong... we're talking about potentially adding a LOT of geography (playable real estate) to the game world... would there be a way to "up" the population to maintain a playable density? It could get boring really quick if you were just running around in your ship looking for other boats to sink between your continent and others...

I am afraid it will end up similar to the caverns that turned me off of PS the first time around (I did eventually come back, but still despise the caverns).
Old 2012-08-11, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Satyxis View Post
There are a lot of places this could go wrong... we're talking about potentially adding a LOT of geography (playable real estate) to the game world... would there be a way to "up" the population to maintain a playable density? It could get boring really quick if you were just running around in your ship looking for other boats to sink between your continent and others...

I am afraid it will end up similar to the caverns that turned me off of PS the first time around (I did eventually come back, but still despise the caverns).
That's what seamless worlds mean, multiple physical server machines handle different areas of the gameworld, and all of them can handle their own player counts independently and you transition seamlessly between them. There does have to be a balance between, on the one hand, you don't want people to have to spend 5 minutes looking for a kill, but on the other, you don't want people forced to meatgrind, or for there to be such a dense population that every continent has battles raging on it because the server is packed full.

I'm guessing that oceans would be done with hexes just like land, but the actual capturable areas will be located on small islands, oil rig-like structures which you can see go down to the ocean floor to mine resources, etc.

And an interesting aspect to ocean is, OK, let's say you're going to fly a Galaxy to the target. On land, if you get shot down early, people bail and walk. In the water, though...haha!
Old 2012-08-11, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Water based combat would be cool. If aces high 2 can have massive battles over a very very big area I'd say planetside 2 could have the tech to do this in the future. All aces high 2 was missing was infantry combat.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I doubt they have enough tech to make Planetside 2 take place on an entire planet with no loading screen, but I can see water based battlefield.
You can still load between areas on screen. Vanguard SoH did this. Although there was lag when entering between zones, so you did notice.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
XxAxMayxX
Sergeant

sounds like it may allow for more of a smooth travel system and the whole naval thing sounds fun. However performance is allways a concern of coarse.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Sounds interesting!
Make parts of the water into resource tiles so there's a meta game and something to fight over, not just a line between A and B?

Old 2012-08-11, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Umm its just my opinion but i think water navy is a dumb idea when your air power can literally fly forever. Why float at boating speeds when you can fly at jet speeds. Interesting idea for modern battlefield 4, not so good for sc fi ps2.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion