MLG Thoughts and Feedback - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am tired of these m*f'*ing snakes on this m*f*ing Gal!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-02, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Chewy
Major

Re: MLG Thoughts and Feedback

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
So in terms of casting, do you guys think two people cut it to track a 48 vs 48 match?
Depends if there is more than 2 fights at a time. If the platoons each fight over one base at a time then yeah 2 casters would be plenty. But if the platoons split into squads then 2 casters might not be able to catch everything on a big map.

How many bases do the battle islands have? 2-3 outposts, 2 main bases, and 2 WGs? 2 casters could cover everything if they keep an eye out. Maybe have a 3rd or 4th to watch for things where the casters aren't to tell them ASAP.
Old 2013-07-02, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Maidere
Sergeant

IMO they need like 3 POV's constantly on screen (spectacular cinematic perspective, 1st person and some kind of map, I would like to see something firefall-like personally) rotating all the time - 1 fullscreen and 2 picture-in-picture.
And like Roflski said, they need few cameramen and director.
Old 2013-07-02, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Larington
Corporal

One thing I AM definately interested in seeing is the TR vs TR, VS vs VS and NC vs NC matches. Maybe weapons won't seem so over/under powered on each empire after those.
Old 2013-07-02, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

As mentioned, they need more people with dedicated tasks, like following the air battle, the vehicle pushes, the nitty-gritty weapon knowledge and what not.
When something significant is about to go down, they alert the main casters who switch to the appropriate camera. That way we won't have to wait for "camera travel time", and we'd miss less of the spectacular eye candy we really want to see.

Though it is sort of hard comming up with really useful feedback when we know (or strongly suspect) that the conditions and premises will change radically with the incomming battle islands.
As it is now, strange things are happening outside the area of coverage, like in the first video where Snowshear were being attacked by randoms (I think) and thus delayed the NC armour push.
On a battle island that would certainly be a stratgeically sound preemptive strike by one outfit to hamper another, and would be really interesting to be informed about as a viewer, but currently it just seems random and a bit out of place.
Old 2013-07-02, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Graywolves
General

I was excited for this last year. There's a chance for it to work out. But right now to invest the resources to make it work might hurt the game. The spectator UI needs to be more than just a camera moving around. They need to be able to track an individual player as well, to have the minimap and other information on the UI like players alive for each empire, vehicle's pulled, etc.

Casting needs to be unbiased and knowledgeable. If the game takes off then surely a larger variety of casters will appear and we'll find out which one works best.

We'll see if Nexus works out with being a competitive arena.

A game can't be very competitive if it is going through drastic changes every month and with the current movement mechanics we're not going to see very powerful plays. Exciting moments need to be found and a detached view of MAX's pushing a control point or a Sunderer blowing up doesn't make the viewer feel anything, if they watched a fire team move out to take out the sunderer or an engineer/LA trying to get through to blow it up, that puts people in suspense.
Old 2013-07-02, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Blynd
First Sergeant

So in terms of casting, do you guys think two people cut it to track a 48 vs 48 match?
simply no

they need three guys and those guys need to be well up on their knowledge. Golden just doesnt cut it.
as everyone else has said though they need alot more observer cams id probably put out something like 10- 15 observer cams - have 4 -5 up in the sky purely covering the air fight and airial shots of amour movements and fights from as many angles as possible to get good footage and id put the rest on the ground in specific locations almost like in motor racing where they just pan across that section of track each lap - have choke points perminently covered and then the rest just monitoring the infantry fight
Old 2013-07-02, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

TBH, they need more than two guys. Three maybe but anybody they put in front of the camera needs to know what the hell they are talking about. The current commentators do not IMO.

Also, the in game camera needs a complete overhaul. I like what sledgehammer put on the last page. The ability to latch on to a player and watch him in third person or hell even first person would be awesome. That way you can watch your favorite players when they are playing. There also needs to be more than 1 camera in game. There needs to be about 10 or more to cover all the angles that way they can hot swap between them on the fly.

Also, I can't stand how when your watching the "tournament" how they designate targets and its a rush to get to the point first. set the factions up on outlying point and put the objective as neutral. First person to get to it and hold for X amount of minutes wins. A lot more enjoyable IMO. They could also do a Conquest match. Where you have 3 bases. Each faction has one and the objective for the two opposing faction is to take the one neutral base then push the other faction our of their "home base".

They also need to move this shit off live servers. It's cool and all that its all the factions but IMO, they need to cut it down to 1 faction vs 1 faction if your doing 48v48. Set it up as a bracket and have the winners face off in the end. The MLG tournament feed over the weekend was just a zerg of meh.

Right now the war report or MLG broadcasting they are doing just isn't enough to hold my interest. TBH, its boring to watch. The SC tournament was where it was at and maybe they should take some notes from that on how to do it properly. IMO, fix the above issues and maybe it will start to get interesting.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2013-07-02 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2013-07-02, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

The method of calling targets right now is more of a workaround than anything. Once Nexus comes in, I suspect we will see future War Reports take place there. And like I said earlier, better observer tools are on the way. The Dev team is more than aware that is required.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-07-02 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2013-07-02, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Calista
Second Lieutenant

You volunteering for the 3rd slot Hamma?

They will probably need more than 2 for sure. Something like a setup that normal TV coverage of sporting events has where there can be 2 play-by-play guys and one color commentator would be nice.

Last edited by Calista; 2013-07-02 at 08:37 AM.
Old 2013-07-02, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

The method of calling targets right now is more of a workaround than anything. Once Nexus comes in, I suspect we will see future War Reports take place there.
Maybe so, but it made it look amateur like they didn't have a clue what they where doing and isn't the way to try and draw in a audience right off that bat.
Also, the tournament would of probably been better if it was done on Amerish than Esamir. There is a better selection of bases there IMO.

Old 2013-07-02, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

I was reading over this thread: (I almost never read Reddit but it caught my eye)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ormed_casters/

This thread is more for folks who are somewhat interested in MLG. I know that thoughts are really strong on the matter and lots of folks are strongly against it and that is fine. Just don't come into this thread and rage out on the whole idea

MLG is happening, it's 100% inevitable now if thats not apparent. Battle islands, leaderboard systems, flying out Outfit Leaders to events etc etc etc.

I have a unique perspective now I know many of the people involved in this whole thing and I've been to three MLG Championships so far. I was skeptical at first but now I am excited to see what comes out of it. I want to see PlanetSide 2 on that big stage and see the teams I know and respect from the community fight it out for bragging rights and maybe even money. I want to see what happens when tried and true outfits face outfits just simply built for eSports.

All of that being said I went somewhat off topic. I like both Jax and Goldenboy and don't want to dig into whether or not they are good casters. What I really want to dig into is what do YOU want to get out of a competitive stream? Do you think the current style is good or would you like to see it done differently than other streams?
I can see those PR minions and their devious ways got to you too Hamma

In all seriousness, it doesn't seem as terrible as what I first thought. Yet have to agree, there needs to be more casters approaching PS2 with an objective outlook. Bias will exist and poke its head every now and then, in all things sports and e-sports but at least we could reduce it somewhat.

Have other outfit leaders, commentate on particular teams? One caster for each 'theatre' of war (In this case, air and ground and the third could follow individuals), or have them at different points on the map. Couple of suggestions.

Last edited by CrimsonTemplar; 2013-07-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2013-07-03, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Its meh. Im not thrilled, camera needs work
Old 2013-07-03, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mordelicius
Major

It's hard to tell until we see what the Nexus is in terms of size/scale. Although, if those MLG previews on live servers require 2 casters, a small battle island would logically require more (again it depends on the size and scope).
Old 2013-07-03, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
typhaon
Sergeant Major

* Caster familiarity with the Nexus is going to be critical. They are going to have to know ahead of time what is likely to happen... where it's likely to happen... maybe a pre-game interview or two with the leaders of each outfit so they know what to look for.

* 10,000 different camos is bad, utterly confusing for anyone watching. It's completely unclear what's going on... and I know the game! Maybe each side should be required to wear a game camo or outfit camo.

* I think MLG is taking away from the faction vs. faction conquest game most of us imagined. I know it's happening. I hope it does work out - but I'm skeptical. It would be cool to watch this scale... and even larger... "pro-outfits" compete. At the very least, I do think it will lead to an urgency in correcting a lot of imbalances in the game. Outfits are going to play to win... and they are going to use and abuse everything and anything that is OP in these matches - the good ones will, anyway. So this is the one benefit that I am looking forward to...
Old 2013-07-03, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
* Caster familiarity with the Nexus is going to be critical.
That's why they won't need an over abundance of casters. It's much the same as casting SC2 where there are a small amount of maps used and the maps themselves are small. Jax and Goldenboy will have every inch of Nexus memorized as they do the SC2 maps. It just may be nice to have a 3rd person to do some overwatching and filling in commentary between the play-by-play.

It would be cool to watch this scale... and even larger... "pro-outfits" compete.
How many PS2 outfits can field 48 at a high level of organization and competitiveness? Or even further... how many outfits would be interested in MLG? I don't see a huge outpouring of support for the endeavor but maybe I have overlooked it?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion