Religion - Page 47 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sending disingenuous birthday emails since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-08, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #691
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I wasn't referring to how I'd sentence them, personally. I was referring to how I'd view people like Hitler or whoever who did terrible stuff but had a neurological disorder of some description which lead to their aberrant behaviour. I'm aware of the purpose of criminal justice and its purpose in society, but thanks for the pro tip anyway.
Better understanding or increased sympathy?

Because the latter is what has been suggested and is what sparked this off-topic discussion. Understanding it better to me doesn't mean I get more sympathetic, I just understand how it came to this. It can have quite the opposite effect if anything, as it'd affect my opinion in a negative way regarding those around and 'supporting' such people. >.>
Old 2012-06-09, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #692
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Why are atheists, skeptics and agnostics all lumped in together?
Old 2012-06-09, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #693
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rexdezi View Post
Why are atheists, skeptics and agnostics all lumped in together?
That's been explained a few times.

Edit :: I take that back. I thought I explained that. Honestly, I consider Atheists, Agnostics, and Skeptics different levels of the same thing. Also, because "Christians" group themselves together all the time, while all being very different.

Penn Jillette made a video about this.
Skip to 4:50 for what I'm talking about.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know

Last edited by NivexQ; 2012-06-09 at 06:32 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #694
Vecha
First Sergeant

http://youtu.be/CzSMC5rWvos

I like this one more.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #695
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I haven't made a dent. Nor will I ever.
I'd move on to something more fruitful, honestly.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #696
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Duke, you keep refusing to adhere to your own fucking directions. It's getting ridiculous.

Old 2012-06-09, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #697
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I am NOT wrong. ]
Yes, yes you are. Skimmed through both of your posts. More bullshit that you literally have no idea of what you're talking about.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-06-09, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #698
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

BlahBlahBlah
You didn't even read my post. You just watched the video completely out of context.

Also, you can't CHANGE logic. That's just... illogical.

Last edited by NivexQ; 2012-06-09 at 11:30 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #699
Elude
First Sergeant

I am going to be ME.
Trying to identify yourself by clinging to certain beliefs whether it be religious or a favorite team is part of your problem. The sooner you stop individualizing yourself the sooner you will become truly free.

I am NOT wrong. If I am WRONG, then I don't lost a mother fucking thing. I go to sleep and that is IT. If I'm not.......... Then I honestly will give my soul up to get you dumb fucks into heaven... ( i'm use to fire )
Do you realize there are multiple visions of the afterlife, even if you were right and there is one how do you know it's safe? Perhaps there is no heaven and there is only hell.

Also I find it interesting that you would give yourself up in hopes to save us, are you truly better than god? Because he certainly can't do that.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #700
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

If I was afraid, I'd be a believer.

Old 2012-06-10, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #701
Figment
Lieutenant General

Look, this is how I see it bro. And this is just simply an opinion that will also get bashed....

You have a group of people that are so tight-knit that have every answer for the unanswerable that they support each other like a knight supports it's king.
You are talking about yourself again?

To acknowledge something bigger than them, scares them. They call it ignorance of people who can succumb to something higher, but it in all reality, they are just afraid.
Ehr... No. We're just not foolish enough to pick a random faith for the sake of random faith. YOU are the one who is scared of death, of there not being anything more and you have said so on many occasions on this thread. YOU are scared of and can't comprehend the possibilities and implications of there NOT being something more.

They have either had faith and lost it because or one reason or another or were just never taught any faith at all.. I have said a thousand times that I want just someone to believe in something, but that is just TOO much for everyone here that fights this.
YOU were TAUGHT faith. TAUGHT. That does not mean you're right because whoever taught you may have been wrong! And guess what? They probably are.

You WANT people to believe something while not giving anyone any good reason to. You don't WANT to comprehend that because you don't WANT to admit you might be wrong. It is too much for YOU to accept that someone may just not WANT to accept something WITHOUT GOOD REASON, unlike YOU.

If someone wants to believe that their knowledge is absolute pure truth and nothing can sway them from that, then that is their mind-set.
Yes, YOUR MINDSET. YOU are the ONLY PERSON in this thread to claim to know EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AND ACCEPT about the universe's creation.

NONE OF US DO. Get that through your thick skull.

Most people here who are Christian or at least some faith don't want to bother getting into an un-wavering argument with people that see only material things and concious logic.
Yes, your logic is non-existent, so of course you don't want to get into a logic argument. You can't possibly stand your ground. That is why creationists avoid debate: they know they got nothing to stand on beyond their personal TAUGHT BELIEVES WITHOUT EVIDENCE, WHICH IS CALLED FAITH.

So they dont. I do. I have. Those who have not fought against it are right to not do so, I haven't made a dent. Nor will I ever.
Nope, you won't, you're too dense to even understand who and what you are argueing with, because you're so stuck in your own frame of reference and convictions on what "we believe and why" that you can't possibly come up with an argument that would make any sense to us. You keep bringing up that we should have blind faith, even though you don't realise that's something that's utterly UNACCEPTABLE to us.

You don't want to see this though as you keep showing your ignorance and prejudices about why we won't accept this: you say we're scared. We're not scared, we think your reasons to believe are invalid and in many cases (all really) farfetched or stupid assumptions based on hearsay from people without any education or understanding of even the basics of the universe or natural laws whatsoever.

So no, we don't HAVE ANY REASON to believe you. That has nothing to do with being scared. Seems to me that just because YOU are scared, you believe this must be other people's motivations as well. Very annoying to debate with someone like you who refuses to understand anyone else and every time ignores any reasoning provided.

Look Duke, it's very simple: you want to tell us unicorns exist, fine, but we won't believe you until you bring actual evidence of an unicorn. Any unicorn. Instead you ask us to disprove unicorns exist, to which all we can say is: there's no evidence there are unicorns and you're not an acknowledged authority on unicorn existence.

So we have absolutely no reason to believe you.

YOU refuse to accept this because you are willing enough to believe someone who told you there's unicorns. Great for you and you keep believing there's unicorns because you WANT to believe and like fictional horsies, but that doesn't work for us.

Edit: I will say this though. I apologize for anyone who I've offended and I don't mean to press my religion on you... And I have... But at least, maybe once... Just attempt to believe in something greater than this shitty race.. Please.
Apology not accepted. Why? You say sorry for attempting to force your religion on us and then immediately try it again.

You don't even want to acknowledge that we've gone through about a hundred hypothetical assumptions your religion is true and showed these assumptions couldn't be made or in most cases disagreed with eachother and reality.

So again, we've "attempted" but couldn't find any reason to believe you. Quite the contrary, we found many pieces of evidence that your religion is a human construct, extremely flawed and inconsistent with evidence and pressed by zealotty people who are scared of existence.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #702
MadPenguin
Sergeant

You have a group of people that are so tight-knit that have every answer for the unanswerable that they support each other like a knight supports it's king.
FFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKK MEEEE!!!! You are really beginning to piss me off now.

Can you read? Its like you post something. We explain why we think what you posted is wrong. And your response? Post the same thing again. I cant be arsed going back through this thread to count the number of times we have explained that we don't know everything. I'm going to make this very clear one final time:

SKEPTICS DONT CLAIM TO HAVE THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING!

If you cant get this incredibly simple piece of information into your brain now then you never will be able to.

For the love of God who must be scratching his eyes out and how retarded some of his children are that cant even read, stop saying we think we have the answer to everything. We do not think this!

The only people who claim to have the answer to everything are certain religious people who think science explains some stuff, for everything science doesn't explain, the explanation is God. And myself and several others have already explained why this is not a logically valid position to take.

Edit: Sorry about this outburst, I probably should have handled that better. But I just wish Duke would stop lying about this. After the amount of times we have explained there is no way he can seriously still think this

Last edited by MadPenguin; 2012-06-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #703
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

'Agnosts' really should have been its own category. There's a pretty wide gulf between them and atheists.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #704
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
'Agnosts' really should have been its own category. There's a pretty wide gulf between them and atheists.
This has been brought up several times in this thread. The terms are muddy, but the general consensus is that gnostic/agnostic is a modifier applied to theistic/atheistic. That is, a theist who feels he knows there is a god is a gnostic theist, while an atheist who is not sure there isn't a god is an agnostic atheist.

Personally I don't like using any of those words specifically because there are a variety of interpretations of them which exist. You clearly have a definition of agnostic which is entirely different from mine, for example.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #705
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

An agnostic believes that there is a supernatural force that is ultimately responsible for existence, but believes that such a thing is unknowable. They can also take it a step further and claim that nothing is completely knowable, a distinction I find intellectually boring.

Regardless, agnostics believe in a god or godlike entity that is simply unfathomable by our limited human brains. That's the definition of the word.

Atheists only believe what there is evidence to support. That precludes belief in the existence of gods or the supernatural.

Now, there is 'strong' and 'weak' atheism, granted, but there is still a wide gulf between agnostics and atheists. It's like, if you were an agnost when it came to unicorns, you would tell me that yes, unicorns OF A SORT exist, but are too advanced to be knowable. I however would say that unless evidence in support of unicorns is presented, I cannot believe in them, full stop. Those are two very different stances on the subject. Two different sides of a debate, in fact.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum