PlanetSide Next Reaver Exclusive - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: du hast mich?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-07, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide Next Reaver Exclusive

http://www.imageshack.us

best image host on the net in my opinion. been using them since around my beginnings on the internet.
Old 2011-02-07, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

We have had a ton of problem reports lately coming in about ImagesHack on Wowhead, it seems they have some issues with their ad network serving up virus. We've had to block it.

Dropbox seems like a good solution to me, no ads. I use imgur.com for anything I don't want to bother dropping on my own sever.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2011-02-07, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I am curious to see what this looks like once they have all the weapon mountings complete. I really like the idea of a two person gunship, but I don't think you should be forced to have two people to use it. The pilot seat should have control of some weapons as well as the gunners seat.

This way it's not totally useless if you can't find a solid gunner.

I am very excited about the new flight physics. Flying in PlanetSide as it is now is a bit clunky and could be vastly improved. I am very curious to see what way they go with that. Something like Tribes 2 shrike piloting would be nice - but not to crazy like the Battlefield series where one false move in a helo sends you spiraling ass over tea kettle.
My sentiments exactly. Esp on the gunner thing.
Old 2011-02-07, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

I think the pod up front is used as a turret. I think the pilot should have control over the guns when flying solo. But if you have a RIO/ Weapons Officer in the back, then the turret can unlock.

So basically the pilot controls the aircraft, forward locked turret and dumb-fire weapon hard-points
Backseat has control over the turret and any additional configurations (ECM/ESM, smart weapons, laser desigator).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-02-07, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
ArcticPrism
Private

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I am curious to see what this looks like once they have all the weapon mountings complete. I really like the idea of a two person gunship, but I don't think you should be forced to have two people to use it. The pilot seat should have control of some weapons as well as the gunners seat.

This way it's not totally useless if you can't find a solid gunner.
You definitely should NOT be able to control both the gunner and the pilot weapons. Why? It will end up just like the Battlefield series where everyone flies solo because you can quickly switch to the gunner seat, fire the TV missile(which one shots basically anything in the game) and then switch back to the driver. Why would anyone want to rely on a gunner when they can do it all themselves with very minimal effort?

Last edited by ArcticPrism; 2011-02-07 at 09:35 AM.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I was responding to Hamma who said you should have control of the gunner seat also. I'm fine with the pilot having a weapon but I think without gunner it definitely should not work completely.
Should have been more clear, that's what I meant. The pilot should have control of some kind of a gun not just piloting.

I don't think the pilot should have control of ALL guns making the co-pilot seat just a decoration.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-02-07 at 10:33 AM.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Fuel is a dumb idea. You'd have to put in fuel stations and that's yet another fucking thing to balance - ever drive from the SW corner of Cyssor to the NE corner? Now imagine having to stop for periodic refueling. Then you'll have whiny snotnosed shits saying "But it's petrol! I should be able to make it explode!", and then there will be refueling tanker vehicles, and G-d knows we already have a fuckload of support vehicles already. Any of you ever drive an actual tank? They get about ten feet per gallon.

Stick with established canon (and go the fuck back to Auraxis, plz) - NTUs power everything. Don't make me add an ANT to my convoy to refuel my tanks or a Galaxy-tanker to mid-air refuel my birds.

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
gun mounting isn't done yet. and you're seeing NC because I like NC Don't worry guys.. I promise more stuff to come!

Smed
As long as you don't like NC so much that they overpower everyone else

Originally Posted by Typwn View Post
It's because of the tinypic host, sorry.
PM me. I'll host it on my website.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Hamma
PSU Admin

I use this on occasion:

http://tinygrab.com/features

not a bad app, Mac and Windows now as well. Drag and drop to upload and it puts the URL right on your clipboard.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-07, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
etheral
Corporal

No, the pilot should not have any weapon control. Empire MBTs require that players co-operate to use them, the payoff being that they are vastly superior to the lightning in all areas other than speed/agility. If the mossie could be said to be the lightning of air vehicles (I know thats a bit premature considering we dont know anything about the PS:N mossie yet) then couldn't the reaver be said to be the MBT of air vehicles?

I gotta say, i'm slightly worried that people want to preserve the current status quo with vehicles, so that their reaver farming backbone remains untouched, rather than trying out some new mechanics.

However, I could settle for the reaver pilot having control of some dumbfire rockets, while the gunner has control of the chin turret (if there is one ofc, but the model would certainly suit it) and a rack of guided tankbuster missiles.

Love the model Smed!! now the reaver actually looks like what its supposed to be: a helicopter gunship without rotors
Old 2011-02-07, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
crunchBWZ
Private

Hopefully I'll still be able to shoot those Reaver suckers down in my mossie.

NC FOO
Old 2011-02-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by etheral View Post
No, the pilot should not have any weapon control.
I know a number of helicopter pilots (and boots on the ground) that disagree with you. Specifically, Cobra and Apache pilots, who have the ability to fire their gun. For the purposes of a video game, think about the Liberator.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-02-07 at 02:40 PM. Reason: code fuck-up
Old 2011-02-07, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
Gogita
Master Sergeant

No, the pilot should not have any weapon control.
I think that goes slightly too far. I can imagine that it is hard to have a dog fight against another aircraft if the pilot cannot control the weapons.
I think the pilot should be able to control a "weak" weapon like guns, while the gunner controls the stronger weapon(s) (missiles, guided missiles)
Old 2011-02-07, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
Tremadog
Private

I don't see why people would want to dogfight in a Reaver like this really. It appears to have a chin-mounted cannon. It's not a Sopwith Camel, it's a gunship. I think before we start with our Red Baron fantasies, we should see what the New-look Mosquito turns out like.
Old 2011-02-07, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
etheral
Corporal

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I know a number of helicopter pilots (and boots on the ground) that disagree with you. Specifically, Cobra and Apache pilots, who have the ability to fire their gun. For the purposes of a video game, think about the Liberator.
you are forgetting that an irl gunship pilot can control the aircraft's movement with the stick/rudder while the cannon follows his head motions (iirc). The only way to implement that ingame (apart from a lock-on system, which would remove all skill from the equation) would be to force ingame pilots to use a joystick and mouse at the same time.
Old 2011-02-07, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

you are forgetting that an irl gunship pilot can control the aircraft's movement with the stick/rudder while the cannon follows his head motions (iirc). The only way to implement that ingame (apart from a lock-on system, which would remove all skill from the equation) would be to force ingame pilots to use a joystick and mouse at the same time.
LOL. I'm not forgetting anything.

1) IRL helicopter pilots have the ability to lock their guns forward. As I understand it, more than a few of them do this, and they let their gunner use the motion reticule. FYI, in case anyone was wondering, either person in the aircraft can fly and either person can gun.

2) I never once used a joystick in Planetside. And since I didn't, this system can easily mimic the Lightning.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-02-07 at 03:23 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion