Female characters? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Steals Your Kids' Lunch Money
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-28, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
FIREk
Captain

Female characters?

In case any of you SOE folk are lurking the forums anytime soon, and don't mind commenting on this... Will there be female characters in PS2, like there are in the original?

It's definitely a selling point, considering that few, if any, modern online FPS games allow you to play as anything other than a guy. I don't see girl gamers flocking to PS2 because of that, but it's definitely a great and rare feature.

The only exceptions to the male-only scheme I can think of would be the Tribes series (ancient, though), and TF2, since the Pyro is either a chick or a drag queen... :P

What about you lot? Would you care if there were no more of those annoying girlish voices in the sequel?
Old 2011-07-28, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Re: Female characters?

not postive but i think this came up once already and someone said either in a video or in a screen shot there was.
Old 2011-07-28, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
LostSoul

Ofcourse they'll be in, but I don't think its as big as a selling point as you think it is and higly doubt that "girl gamers" will "flock" to PS2 because of it
Old 2011-07-28, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Why would they NOT be? That's like asking if there will be guns in PS2.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

......Give 'em sqeekier and more annoying macros and voices.....
and more cleavage...and tighter fitting pants.

seriously

I'm TWACKED, but it would be both amusing and irritating. Not much worse than to get mocked by a squeeky Paris Hilton (w/ a Dolly Parton rack) looking av - after you got powned by them.

....an element of cheap humor has plenty of room in a game like this. I doubt SOE has the balls - but the FPS genre should welcome a little salty and off-color humor. R-rated would be fine. Kids hear worse at school, the internet, or on TV already. It fits, hence it belongs.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-07-28 at 11:07 AM.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
and more cleavage...and tighter fitting pants..
Yeah, not this.

Not that I'm saying we have to have a bunch of hideous abominations, but there's big props to be had in gaming right now for decently done women, as opposed to DOA bouncefests.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Aractain
Major

T&A is great, but not in a awesome wargame like Planetside.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

......I hear ya......it was mostly tounge-in-cheek (regarding the physical features).

I am serious about some harsher voice macros....especially from the female avatars.
(not important issue)
Old 2011-07-28, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Aractain
Major

What about accents (for males aswell)? Would it make sense if they were different? You know, to make faction diversity better? TR would be slavic, NC could be americans, VS could be brittish.

Maybe not.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

The question for laypeople isn't rather or not there will be females in PS2..

Rather its if they'll be 'smokin hawt'?!!
Old 2011-07-28, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
I am serious about some harsher voice macros....especially from the female avatars.
(not important issue)
Definitely. One of the things I really respected about the voice-work in the original Planetside was the range of female and male voices, especially the huskier female ones and the squeakier male ones.

You say it's not important, but sometimes it's the most random things that end up getting a game respect, and more importantly, exposure.

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
What about accents (for males aswell)? Would it make sense if they were different? You know, to make faction diversity better? TR would be slavic, NC could be americans, VS could be brittish.

Maybe not.
I could certainly see there being different accents, but you might want to avoid making them empire-specific. I know a lot of people want to see the NC move away from the american hero image and more toward guerilla rebels.

Also, they'd need to be real careful to avoid stereotyping criticisms (thinking mostly of asians here, although badly done british/russian stereotypes are painful too). People are so quick to take offense now, that the slightest thing can cause an outrage (in the same way the slightest thing can end up getting it a lot of respect).

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-28 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Did you ever notice in Star Wars how, with the exception of two characters (Vader and one of the admiral/general types), anyone who was with the Empire was speaking with a British accent?
Old 2011-07-28, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Aractain
Major

That is because, unmistakably, it is the best accent. Indeed.
Old 2011-07-28, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

POPPYCOCK !

Absolute RUBBISH, I say.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-07-28 at 11:54 AM.
Old 2011-07-28, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sifer2
Major

Well we had females in the first one. But then we also had boarding animations for vehicles. So I guess there is no guarantees.

I doubt it will be that big of a selling point considering this game isn't one that really allows you to have the girls wearing bikini armor.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion