News: Dev Roundtable with Matt Higby Recording - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The true meaning of 1337
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-09, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tiberius
Corporal

Re: Dev Roundtable with Matt Higby Recording

I think a good way to get situational information to players without it being in their face and in the way is to put a small tickler alert of which bases are being attacked and those that have been captured on the HUD. Then have a more complete version of it on the map so if you see something you want to respond to, you go to the map, see the details (like troop numbers, outfits involved) and can decide wether you want to move and respond.

What do you guys think?
Old 2012-09-09, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
I think a good way to get situational information to players without it being in their face and in the way is to put a small tickler alert of which bases are being attacked and those that have been captured on the HUD. Then have a more complete version of it on the map so if you see something you want to respond to, you go to the map, see the details (like troop numbers, outfits involved) and can decide wether you want to move and respond.

What do you guys think?
Not quite like that, I don't think.

If there is a base under attack that should be about as much as the game tells you. You then find out the rest by either going there or being informed by your squad mates or outfit mates or on command chat if you have it.

In other words intelligence should human driven.

I'd say, the game should push no tactical information at you, you should be proactive about it.

I did like the idea of the ticker tho. I think it would be good to pass on information on an outfit member who has just dinged, or maybe someone on your empire who has just achieved cr5.

I didn't care for it to give congrats to an outfit for capturing a base, if an outfit deserves congrats for good work then other players should decided when to give a pat on the back or not. And from experience, players would do that.

In terms of automated pats on the back, I've thought the 'game' could award outfit merits for the big fights. On this, the game could analyse the previous days operations, decide whether a fight was big or not based on activity within the locality and award a medal to participating outfits. - It could be done, the data is already being captured it just needs to be analysed and real time analysis isn't necessary.
Old 2012-09-09, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

One other thing I forgot to mention from the discussion, Bolt action sniper rifles.

Higby said that it's possible that the VS/TR bolt action sniper rifles (in the shop) may not kill in one shot to the head. I think he also said to the effect that they hadn't decided 100% yet whether even the NC ones should do that.

I think it's pretty fair to say that without the ability to kill in one shot to the head those rifles will be pretty useless, and players will just gravitate en masse to the semi-auto sniper rifles.
Old 2012-09-09, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
derito
Contributor
Sergeant

If bolt action loose its one shot ability but gets no damage reduction at range it might have a niche.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion