News: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware of Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-25, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Grendalsh
Private

Re: SOE Announces Partnership with MLG

I find this to be rather exciting.. and here's how I see it going down.
Over a quarter, outfits can apply for a tournament. They put in their app, and SOE watches that outfit's performance on the live servers.. Attendance, organization, cohesion, etc. They then announce which outfits make the cut.
Tournaments will be on locked servers - invite only, playing remotely or locally. Remember, when you're dealing with 100+ players on a side, tournament-regulation latency and hardware isn't really relevant anymore. It's no longer about leveling the field so skill is the determining factor.. it's now about strategy and teamwork.
Outfits will be matched based on performance, population, etc. Tournaments have various point based objectives - territory control, resources, deaths, xp, etc. In particular, the new 'non-xp score' mentioned in the Roadmap will probably come into play.
Say it's two outfits of about 100 each.. They'll get a single continent to play on, either for a timed match or first to lock the continent. There might be larger rumbles with multiple outfits per empire.
The spectator interest will be in watching how these outfits go about their objectives - their strategies.

While I think watching WoW Arenas is boring, and SC2 matches have their moments.. I can see putting this up on the TV instead of football to see how Vanu is playing this month.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Xaine
Major

Called it.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
StraitDumpinSMF
Private

I won some Sony Style cash in an MLG online tournament a few years ago.
Not sure how PS2 tournaments will run, but here is a little information based on what I remember.

The game was M.A.G. (256 player MMOFPS for Playstation 3)
http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming...Str8Dumpin-SMF
I actually got 3rd if I remember correctly, two boosters got 1st and 2nd in all three tournaments.

Structure
3 tournaments, each lasting a few weeks.
Top 10 Headshots the first few weeks, the next few weeks Top 10 Kills, followed by Top 10 Experience.

Entrance
You sign up to gamebattles/MLG and link your accounts/characters, then sign up online.

Payouts
10 players paid for each tournament, 30 prizes awarded.
First place got a Sony Style gift card for $1000 and a few hundred PS3 store credit.

Boosting
In before I place third again, beaten by two boosters.

Last edited by StraitDumpinSMF; 2013-01-26 at 12:12 AM.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Lorak
Private

Not sure why you guys are arguing balance. SOE will run the MLG games just like tonights event.

They will put on a big show, have a lot of gamers compete. And then at the end they will open up phone lines to decide the winner American Idol style.

Balance doesn't matter when the results in game don't matter.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
KodanBlack
Sergeant

Um... Why do we have to make this game some kind of competition instead of just a great time?
Old 2013-01-26, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I also can say anything.
And you do. I used to have some respect for you because you were someone who used reason and logic, but in this thread you basically just quote people and add "You're wrong." If you don't want to use arguments just don't post.

Originally Posted by Lorak View Post
Not sure why you guys are arguing balance. SOE will run the MLG games just like tonights event.

They will put on a big show, have a lot of gamers compete. And then at the end they will open up phone lines to decide the winner American Idol style.

Balance doesn't matter when the results in game don't matter.
If they do it like that they should call it "community events" instead of "eSports". A game does not suddenly become a sport just because you put 3 guys behind desks in their faction colors.

Don't get me wrong, I think things like the UES are fun, where you have to complete different objectives on the public servers and it's all just a big party - but if they really wanna go into the direction of eSport (by it's real definition, not by Newsiths definition) they will have to go instanced and by that against everything that makes PS2 special.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-01-26 at 02:45 AM.
Old 2013-01-26, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Pella
Captain

Answers to all the following questions will be given tomorrow.
I already know the answer.

The goal to design any competitive game, requires it to be easy to learn , But difficult to master.

Hense why you have Millions of people playing them, But only a small % are what you call good/professorial

LOL - Apply's this rule
SC - Apply's this this rule
Tennis/Football/Chess - Apply's this rule.

PS2: Is simply to easy, And imbalanced. And way to many variables that equate to getting killed. Which you cannot dictate or control. Unless you hide in a hole. This my friends is why PS2 will never become successful in the esports domain.

If thats not enough for you. If you managed to watch the The empire showdown you can see exactly my point. All eyes where on PS2 last night, And MLG announcement i'm sure people watched. But the stream its self was dreadful.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-01-26 at 02:57 AM.
Old 2013-01-26, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Rolfski
Major

I'm curious to see how this one will turn out. It's basically a doubled edged sword that can go each side of the blade.
Old 2013-01-26, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
The goal to design any competitive game, requires it to be easy to learn , But difficult to master.

LOL - Apply's this rule
SC - Apply's this this rule
Tennis/Football/Chess - Apply's this rule.

PS2: Is simply to easy, And imbalanced. And way to many variables that equate to getting killed. Which you cannot dictate or control. Unless you hide in a hole. This my friends is why PS2 will never become successful in the esports domain.
Well, I guess you won. Gratz

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-26, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Pella
Captain

Well, I guess you won. Gratz
Wasn't a competition to begin with. I truly hope that they succeed in the esports arena. But in the games current build i just dont see it happening for the reasons i said above.
Old 2013-01-26, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Archonzero
Sergeant

I think they need to re-design the facility layouts then. More shielded multiple structure layouts, more high an low ground. I'd love to see the biodome increased in size.

To top it all off, I've a gaming system that sits around the mid upper range for planetside 2 requirements, an above the recommended.

Manage 80 fps solid.

Last FNO on Waterson, hold the bastion for 40 minutes, was a HORRIBLE experience (an fun despite). The majority of the event felt like a server stress test for capacity an it failed, failed hard. They need to crunch some serious numbers an work on some serious issues if they're going to get that project players per continent number to run fluidly to be a viable MLG option.

Last edited by Archonzero; 2013-01-26 at 06:55 AM.
Old 2013-01-26, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
artifice
Staff Sergeant

With how badly SOE's own events seem to turn out, maybe they need the MLG to organize this stuff.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Rothnang
Major

I honestly couldn't care less about the whole esports aspect. To me gaming has always been about just having fun, being overly competitive just turns people into douchebags.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
I honestly couldn't care less about the whole esports aspect. To me gaming has always been about just having fun, being overly competitive just turns people into douchebags.
Heh, aye. I've always found that when money start becoming the main focus of a game then things tend to turn ugly.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-01-26, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Not a fan of this E-sport Push SOE is trying to do with this game. I thought it was a horrible Idea when it was first announced last year and I still think it's a horrible idea now. All we will end up listening to is the same shit we heard in PS1. "Ohh my outfit is the best we won outfit wars". It will also turn into decreased pops on the servers when the E-sport season rolls around.

This Idea just needs to die imo.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2013-01-26 at 06:17 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion