A taste of EVE. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Errors have been made... others will be blamed!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion

Old 2005-01-23, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Mr1337Duck
Lieutenant Colonel

A freelancer MMO would be interesting, but only if there was a lot more to do in it. The crux of Freelancer was doing missions or trading to get money, and they kinda implemented factions and stuff.

I'd like to see a game where it's mostly space-based, but where you can walk around, and you have small-arms. Where player clans could manage their own bases and capital ships, but where it'd be significantly easier to do if you had multiple people managing the capital ships. Where you could find your clan's capital ship, either type in or say the docking password, and fly in to dock. The bases and ships would maintain their own stores of ammo and weapons, along with various other supplies. On foot, which would be in bases or on planets, you could produce your own small-arms, or even small bombs, as well as some trading goods. A bit like SWG:JTL, but far more space-based than ground-based.

Your cargo would also be worth something more than money. You can put different things in cargo boxes, and pirates threaten you to get your cargo, or could attack you, at risk of destroying the cargo. This is where the explosives could come in handy. You rig up a remote detonator to a concealed bomb hidden in your cargo. When some pirate threatens you and wants to take your cargo, you could transfer the box with the bomb to them first through the onboard teleporter, then run to the cockpit and fly off as fast as you can. While they're standing there waiting for the cargo to come and inspecting it, you move away. A few seconds later, they realize you're leaving. You put a small amount of distance between you and them, then detonate the bomb, killing them. Then you can fly back, take anything they have on them or in their cargo hold, then get one of those uber-strong nano-tech ropes from your ship, fly out in your space suit, literally attach it to the front of their ship, and tow it to port, or to a clan capital ship, where you can conduct repairs on it and either sell it or keep it to augment the clan fleet.

Basically a space game where you do almost everything, vastly player-driven. If you could do it without a big subscription free, so much the better.
Old 2005-01-23, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

The PVP in eve I have to say is superb.

Eve may seem and look slow, the pvp however is not that slow. Battleship vs Battleship fleet battles can be slow, but they are very exciting, and your adrenaline will be pumping. If you fly anything smaller it gets really fast and you have to pay attention to everything, what your enemy is doing, your speed, your capacitor, your guns, your shields everything. Thats a lot of stuff going on.

It is a lot of fun, but to get the skillpoints and cash needed to become a dedicated pvper can take some time. At the most it would take you three months. A battleship is definitlely worth the money because battleships are cash mashines, they will make you money, whether it be mining or npcing.
Old 2005-01-23, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Mango
First Lieutenant

I went ahead and reactivated my 10 day thing, Name is Battlepope
Old 2005-01-23, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

What am i missing? i got the trial, played for 10 min, was confused as hell, then i figured out how to get the map up, then i had to figure out how tyo close it, then i found an asteroid belt, wen up to it and stated mining for 20 minutes, almost fell asleep, then some guy comes up to me and tells me to join some thing that seemed pointles, and after 30 min i found their head quraters, had a hard time geting out of the HQ, then when i was done, i didnt know what to do, so i mined some more, then i as even more confused for some reason, and i quit because of boredom/lack of direction/emptyness. What am i missing? this isnt fun...
Old 2005-01-23, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
firecrackerNC
Colonel

^ My point exactly.
Old 2005-01-23, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

like i said its not worth just picking up and having fun immediately, though trust me its worth it in the end
Old 2005-01-23, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

To put it another way,

Eve is the exact opposite of every other MMO out there.

The begining is a bitch, and somewhat borring as hell.

But the end game is Awesome.

And a Battleship on Battleship engagement is great fun to watch!
Old 2005-01-23, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

its great fun to actually be in it, and survive
Old 2005-01-23, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SecondRaven
Thats a shame....erm i mean you could LEAD another BH divsion...cough cough cough...i mean just like before...
Whats to lead? We already have a corp that can build battleships in less than a week.

To talk on action of PVP engagements in eve I had one 3 days ago. My alternate character which I purchased from Sobekus is in an alliance and was in alliance space. This particular alliance has pissed off most of the world in eve. So 3 nights ago I sat mining for the 3rd most precious mineral in the game (which aint so boreing when you have countless NPCs to deal with). I am sitting there when my local chat box begins flareing. Hostiles in system. PA Alliance.... damn. 1 hostile confirmed. I report back to my corps Player Owned Station, a massive complex surrounded by a 30km bubble shields and eject from my mining ship and board my Typhoon class battleship. The only other person online in my corp meets me there in his own typhoon. Me and him had been discussing a tag team setup both our ships could use. 4 Energy draining devices that zap the power from an enemy ship and add it to your own, 4 torpedo launchers, lots of power rechargers, and two armor repairers. We setforth for the only place the enemy would likly be. The Tenal Factory. The only station around for 8 jumps. We get there and no one is there. My friend docks to switch up some ammo. I stay outside guarding for his eventual undocking.

I open my scanner and begin scanning the Solar System looking for a possible attack angle. Bingo, a scorpion battleship is in warp heading for my position. The second I see it on my scanner it pops out of its subspace warp bubble and appears 20 km from my ships position. I check local, no other enemy are in system. I tell my backup whats going on and he starts to undock. I start to engage my enemy. Lock on and zap some of his power as I fire a voly of torpedos. He returns the voly. Suddenly my sensors crakle and zizzle and the lock is gone. Jammed. My sensors are totaly gone and I cannot target him. My torpedo barrage slams into his ship a second later and knocks down his shields. Back up finaly undocks and immediatly opens up on the scorpion who can only jam one of us at a time. Suddenly the unmistakeable signs of a warp trails. A logon trap! The enemy had waited till we engaged to log back on and instantly warp ontop of us. 2 more scorpion battleships and a crow interceptor. THey immediatly jammed up my engines. Suddenly there is a lapse in the jamming fields. They must have run out of power. I lock the interceptor send a volly of torpedos at him, lock the first scorpion and let loose another volly. The interceptor easily outmanuvers my missles with the help of speed modifying devices. The scorpion takes a direct hit from both me and my backup. As I launched my volly another scorpion took over jamming me. Right after the torpedos of both of our ships slammed into the enemy he warped away. The enemy continues to launch torpedo after torpedo at my ship but my armor tank is holding strong. They eventualy run out of power and the 2nd jammer starts to warp away. I take my opportunity. The interceptor is back but this time has gotten cocky and come too close to my ship. I lock on and suck all of his ships energy adding it to my own.

The little nimble ship immediatly slows down. It might as well be a normal frigate now. I fire off a torpedo and it smacks into the ship destroying it. I turn my attention to a warp trail on the opposite side of the station. Its the first scorpion again. But there is a problem. As soon as the 2nd jamming ship warps out my backup takes the opportunity to run for it. Its an out numbered fight and we didnt think we would win. He warped away as the two jammer ships traded. I locked onto the jamming ship and looked at its status. Half shields and its armor is gone leaving only the hull of the ship. I fire a torpedo barage that strikes it destroying it outright. The huge ship goes through a series of death throws and explodes in a blinding flash. Now I direct my attention to the scorpion that is preventing me from warping away. I activate my own warp scrambler and watch as he trys to run. I fire off my energy drainers and my torpedos. I quickly overcome the small shield boosters he had. The ship was not designed to take fire as the other two would have prevented that. Three barrages of four torpedos strike the ship and then the 2nd jammer arrives. By this time I am low on power my self even with the drainers. My armor at half and both my repairers are running. The 2nd jammer ship returns, mostlikly still low on cap and trying to save the warp jammer. I continue firing on the warp jammer as its my only hope of escaping. They both continue to fire at me but one of the ships changed its torpedos to thermal, the type my armor is weakest against at the time. My tank starts to buckle and I fire one last volly at the jamming ship. It looks like I am about to escape. But suddenly 2 more enemy battleships pop out of warp. A megathron, which is a huge ship covered in high energy shotgun style blasters and a raven which is the bigger brother of the scorpion, more torpedo tubes and better shields. My tank is now almost gone. As the torpedos strike the jamming ship 3 things happen, my backup finally warps back in to try and help, my ship starts exploding and the warp jamming ship starts to explode. I eject from my ship and warp away in the escape pod watching my ugly little battleship explode. A prang in my heart is felt. My blood is rushing. Adrenalin pumping fercely. My ship is gone. My friends and I worked so hard to build the ship. Those bastards destroyed it.

But then a wave of happyness. I just engaged 3 battleships toe to toe and destroyed two and one of their backup ships. I look back to local chat. Curses on my ship. I check the window for corp communications. My backup easily made it out of the fight. With no ship to scramble his engines he warped to my location at the Player owned station. We discussed the battle as I posted my kill mails on our forums. I decided that my ship didnt need the warp scrambler and would be better off with an anti jamming sensor power booster. The insurance company came through and paid me for the loss. Not enough to cover the whole ship but enough to stay active while I rebuild it. My heart begins to slow down. I go back to remorse for the loss of my ship.

Sobekus, thanks for a great starting character. He preformed admirably in the face of over whelming odds.

On a side note, the corp I speak of is not the corp all of the PSU members are in. Its a corp I had my alternate join as to infiltrate some one and try to start their downfall. At the same time I profit off of their position in alliance space and mine for the precious ore. My main character however is one of the leaders of the PSU corp. He still has 2 battleships to kick some ass.

See yas in game guys!
Old 2005-01-23, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Everay
Major General

eve is the only mmo i have played that makes you start to shake as you engage, everyone i know on eve feels the same thing, a rush when the battle starts, its weird, but it is there, if you actualy know whats going on and what your doing that is.
Old 2005-01-23, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

The fear of loosing your battleship that takes weeks to get. Yea. That gets your blood rushing fast.
Old 2005-01-23, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I wish you'd described that engagement in as much detail to ME Peace. Jerk.

But yeah, PVP is where EVE really shines. I lost a Raven Battleship (Big ol' missile boat) yesterday when I had a run-in with the EVE cops, CONCORD. One of our corp mates was in his Apocalypse Battleship when he was attacked by several other Battleships in low security space. I rushed to help my buddy but it was too late, they'd destroyed his ship. One of the attackers in a frigate attempted to flee on a different tangent than the battleship attackers, so I charged after him. He was at a warpgate attempting to flee, and had several kilometers yet to travel before he could make the jump into another system. I activated a Sensor booster, locked onto the fuckers ship and hit his ship with an energy drain. The guy's afterburners cut out, his ship devoid of energy, as I launched a volley of high-speed Cruise missiles at him. However, his ship still had a good deal of accumulated speed from his Afterburners and coasted to the gate and jumped out just as my missiles were about to impact. The warp gates sentry turrets saw me fire upon the frigate and flagged me as a hostile aggressor, and began firing upon my Battleship. I activated several shield reinforcement modules and held out against the damage. I warped to another gate and thinking only of getting the hell out of the system before some more Battleships showed up to attack me, warped into a high-security system. I should have remembered that I was flagged as a criminal, and emerged in the high-security system with the guns of several police Battleships pointed directly at me. I was outnumbered, and they quickly had me pinned down. My Battleship was torn to shreads by the police within a dozen seconds or so.

I pulled a stupid move but I had insurance on the ship and was reimbursed for my loss. Most of the gear on my Battleship survived the explosion intact, and Rbstr flew over in a frigate and recovered it. With the insurance money, I bought a new Scorpion Battleship, which I've been wanting instead of the Raven anyhow. This ship is a lot more versatile and while it isn't as powerful offensively, it's a beast to kill when properly set up for defense. Next time I won't be so foolish to hop into the arms of the police when I'm under a Criminal status.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-01-23, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
slytiger
Staff Sergeant

Sorry if this is kinda out of subject but, is the free trial still going or is it done for awhile? I havent been able to find it posted anywhere and i partially remember in the official FAQ's it said it was over for some time.
Old 2005-01-23, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

http://www.gamershell.com/news/17215.html

Not sure if its still runnin but give it a shot. Like mentioned previously, this is a game that takes a bit to get into. It can be really confusing and such when you start, but gets pretty cool after the first couple weeks.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2005-01-23 at 10:27 PM.
Old 2005-01-24, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

Peace what corp did active x join?
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion