Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo) - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is your conscience speaking...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-11, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo)

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I would also go as far as to limit it like many others on here have stated to maybe 5 complete refills for 5 players. That's one time per player. I would even limit it even further to a 30 to 40 minutes CD.
Why does everyone assume it won't be limited?

Why even give the Sunderer the ability to resupply ammo in the game if I can just find the nearest ammo box on the ground.
The sunderer has a terminal to change classes with and can repair(and presumably rearm) vehicles.

There needs to be a risk to this. Gen holds are going to become stupid if they can just sit back with unlimited ammo.
Again, no evidence of this.

IMO bring back the backpacks and bring back the free form Inventory. I personally enjoyed the thrill of combat when I or a outfit member was about to run out of ammo.
Scavenging was indeed a thrill since it was rare enough to get anything out of the bag before it despawned. When you managed it was great! And of course we can't forget the awesomeness of not being able to find a weapon you are certed in, since obviously you cannot figure out how to pull the trigger without a cert.

Whats weird is every single argument here applies to healers as well. Why can you heal in a gen hold, you should have to go to a terminal to heal, healing is OP if its infinite, etc.
Old 2012-03-11, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
moosepoop
Captain

make ammo boxes one time use/replace a weapon slot. problem solved.
Old 2012-03-11, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
ThGlump
Captain

I would like to be like extended inventory. Box that could carry limited amount of ammo or other stuff, that you FILL/CHOOSE at loadout screen. Didnt you put lancer ammo into it? Noone can get lancer ammo from it when you drop it. Did you put med juice there? Good then you can resupply medics in your squad.
You should be able to deploy it, ppl take some ammo from it, and then pick up it back, so you can redeploy it later with any ammo that is left in it.

If its limited ammo it CANT resupply you automatically. If there is several ppl with 50+% ammo, and one with none (all close to you), it would be bad to resupply those who dont really need it and nothing is for those who really need it.

And it need ability to be squad locked!
Old 2012-03-11, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
I would like to be like extended inventory. Box that could carry limited amount of ammo or other stuff, that you FILL/CHOOSE at loadout screen. Didnt you put lancer ammo into it? Noone can get lancer ammo from it when you drop it. Did you put med juice there? Good then you can resupply medics in your squad.
You should be able to deploy it, ppl take some ammo from it, and then pick up it back, so you can redeploy it later with any ammo that is left in it.

If its limited ammo it CANT resupply you automatically. If there is several ppl with 50+% ammo, and one with none (all close to you), it would be bad to resupply those who dont really need it and nothing is for those who really need it.

And it need ability to be squad locked!
i like the idea of only having limited ammo pack ( nr of packs and ammo in those packs )
however i dont like the idea of having to put the ammo into it yourself, i think that mechanic would be to cumbersome.
i would opt for having an ammo pack that has for ex 200 bullets in it and any type of ammo can be taken out.
smg,assault,pistol ammo would be 1/1 ( so 1 bullet = 1 bullet out of the pack)
and a rocket should be like 1/40 ( 1 rocket for 40 bullets out of the pack )
grenade 1/10
Old 2012-03-11, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
ThGlump
Captain

But grenades wont be free. You pay for them with resources. So universal ammo box cant refill them. But if you fill it yourself with grenades (for your resources), then you can refill squadmates with them.

You could have saved presets for ammo box so you dont have to fill it every time, and you could tailor it to actual squad needs.
Old 2012-03-11, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
megamold
Second Lieutenant

yeah that is true, maybe its for the best actually cause i'm sure some squad will just all take ammopacks full of grenades and start nadespamming the doorways
then scrap the nades from my idea, but the rest of it still stands imho

in any case i dont think they will be adding a pack you can setup yourself, since they removed the inventory system because it was cumbersome so i doubt they will be adding a cumbersome ammopack inventory system
maybe the easyer thing would be to make the ammopack a cert tree in itsself
with the first cert being a really small and crappy ammo pack ( with like 2 extra clips ) and the last cert in the tree being a little more beefy.
that way you would need to put in quite some time training to get an ammo pack that could actually be usefull in a battle
Old 2012-03-11, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
I would also go as far as to limit it like many others on here have stated to maybe 5 complete refills for 5 players. That's one time per player. I would even limit it even further to a 30 to 40 minutes CD.
Why does everyone assume it won't be limited?
Probably because Smed and Higby mentioned BF3,COD, and EVE as inspiration for some of their Ideas for Planetside 2. Thats why everybody is assuming it won't be limited.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=24860

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Why even give the Sunderer the ability to resupply ammo in the game if I can just find the nearest ammo box on the ground.

The sunderer has a terminal to change classes with and can repair(and presumably rearm) vehicles.

Mute point, lets be honest it going to rarely be used to change classes in combat. Its primary use will be for transportation and small spec op groups out in the field. As for it resupply ammo its pointless if its infinite. Refer to post above about BF being their inspiration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
There needs to be a risk to this. Gen holds are going to become stupid if they can just sit back with unlimited ammo.
Again, no evidence of this.
If ammo is infinite its going to suck. See post above about BF being their Inspiration for some of the Ideas. Like ammo boxes. :P
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-03-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
megamold
Second Lieutenant

inspiration =/= carbon copy

hell , justin bieber was inspired by kurt cobain and i think we all know he is FAR from being a copy
Old 2012-03-11, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
CutterJohn
Colonel

Probably because Smed and Higby mentioned BF3,COD, and EVE as inspiration for some of their Ideas for Planetside 2. Thats why everybody is assuming it won't be limited.
And Tribes was a big influence on PS1, yet there was no skiing.

Mute point
Moot point.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
And Tribes was a big influence on PS1, yet there was no skiing.
My point is, you wanted to know why everybody thinks its gonna be unlimited ammo. That is why.

Its also why we are seeing tank drivers acting as gunners this time around. Smed himself felt it was the best way of going about it, especially since he put BF2 on a pedestal as he said on how tanking should be done. :P

We have 2 direct correlations between the two.

Thanks for the grammatical fix btw.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-03-11 at 11:42 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

i played Brink for a little while and there was a spec for heavy assault class for ammo resupply. solider had a limited amount ammo he could drop over a period of time. this gave the assault class a support role but they had forfeit points to get it." I Need Ammo " emote and a few support assaults and your good togo
Old 2012-03-11, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
GoldDragon
Corporal

Alright, so I didn't read through the entire thread but it seems the general concern is infinitely spawning ammo behind enemy lines and a lack of advancing gameplay because of this (in conjuncture with revives and other mechanics).

I agree that a "free" ammo pack is a bad idea off hand. I think the dev team has thought of some of the same issues we're pointing out. In that, I'm sure they have counter-balances.

For example, in the game footage we saw from GDC pay attention to Higby's clip size. The standard 30 rounds for a Gauss rifle, but if you look at his spare ammo/clips when he has respawned and is fully loaded, I believe it was in the neighborhood of 90 rounds. So right now we're looking at a total of 120 rounds for a light assault at respawn. Compare this to a PlanetSide Agile loadout. Even if I didn't completely fill my inventory with 9mm, say only 4-5 boxes plus all my other toys, that's 200-250 rounds in my backpack plus what's in my rifle and this is being minimal.

With this in mind, the Ammo pack might actually be a required thing in one form or another. Now, I don't think this should be a mechanic where a light (or heavy) assault can go around dropping these things like M&Ms. There either needs to be a reasonable cooldown on using them or a limited number they can deploy before they need to reload at a term.

I favor the limited number myself. My reasoning is this. If a player is going to drop all 3 (we'll say 3 is the max ammo packs for this) ammo bags in one go then when they need ammo in 10 minutes they're going to be saying "damn, I wish I had saved my packs." I think this works better than a constant pack with a cooldown because it makes players think about when they should use it and keep on top of their supplies. Supplies shouldn't be unlimited at any point unless you're literally sitting on a term.

Take a gen hold for example, eventually the holders will run out of ammo, even if they had a limited number of ammo packs. Another thing player's had to worry about in PS1 was running out of Medical Injections or BANK juice. These are all things that made PlanetSide so dynamic even through its many flaws. I'm open to seeing the system change but I don't think the supply dynamics from the original game should be thrown out the window.

-EDIT-

At one point I felt that ammo bags should cost resources like grenades. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by GoldDragon; 2012-03-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
CutterJohn
Colonel

My point is, you wanted to know why everybody thinks its gonna be unlimited ammo. That is why.

Its also why we are seeing tank drivers acting as gunners this time around. Smed himself felt it was the best way of going about it, especially since he put BF2 on a pedestal as he said on how tanking should be done. :P

We have 2 direct correlations between the two.
In fairness, BF2 deserves to be on a pedestal. Easily up there with the best MP FPSs.

Yes, we're seeing drivers acting as gunners this time around. But we saw that last time, too, since 1/3 of the tanks had a driver gun. And the BF series does not include powerful secondary weapons on its tanks, which is a *huge* difference. And a prime example of how they can take inspiration without directly copying, since if they were literally copying the BF series there would be a peashooter up top.

Thanks for the grammatical fix btw.
NP.
Old 2012-03-11, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Daimond
Private

Well I was not a fan when I saw this; I still am not when it comes to the idea of a light assault class doing this.

I sat here thinking well if they are going this rout how I would make it work and balance it.

What I came up with is that it should be a tree you can take as an Engineer class, as part of Repair/Rearm. Since things work of the basis of nanites, an Engy can take nanite canisters. Say they at a certain lvl can carry 10 canisters of nanites, now as a balance each can that he uses can be used to repair someone or resupply some one. So say he drops 1 can and makes if of a said type of ammo for light assault he loses the ability to repair someone as an off set.
Old 2012-03-11, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

I was a big scavenger in Planetside. My locker was always filled to the brim with enemy weapons. I wouldn't be allowed to take a toy out without putting a new one back in.

While I am a little disheartened at the removal of the inventory system, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Planetside had tons of problems with backpacks anyway (they would always just fucking disappear before you could loot them during big battles) and overall the inventory system was a little annoying to manage for some players (not me, I hotswapped Decis like it was my job).

I really just hope you can still take other people kits at least. I know I shouldn't say this, but I actually like the Gauss Rifle over the Cycler. :\
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion