Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ▓ whoa, whats that?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-10, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Re: Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support?

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post

What part of "Yes, I could go and order some cheap monitors today, but am waiting for the fall to get IPS monitors" says that I'm "one of the ones who cannot afford a setup so don't want others to use theirs..."? Unless, you know, you're just outright calling me a liar, in which case you're just rude instead of incapable of (or unwilling to try) reading. Or trolling, I suppose.
lol the part when you complained about the associated costs. I dont know you, but I know from your previous post that 1. you didnt know the actual associated costs with getting a multi monitor setup running and 2. that you dont have enough to have one now.

why wait till the fall to pick up ips monitors again? does your ips having better colors or faster response time give you an unfair advantage over someoene with a 5 year old lcd with 10ms response? As I said before the people who tend to be opposed to these things are usually the ones who cannot afford to run them themselves. I for example run 3 monitors and wouldnt mind in the least if someone else wanted to run 6.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
lol the part when you complained about the associated costs. I dont know you, but I know from your previous post that 1. you didnt know the actual associated costs with getting a multi monitor setup running and 2. that you dont have enough to have one now.

why wait till the fall to pick up ips monitors again? does your ips having better colors or faster response time give you an unfair advantage over someoene with a 5 year old lcd with 10ms response? As I said before the people who tend to be opposed to these things are usually the ones who cannot afford to run them themselves. I for example run 3 monitors and wouldnt mind in the least if someone else wanted to run 6.
It's very simple. I don't put lifestyle expenses on credit. Also, I enjoy image quality (it's why I look to push resolution -- it looks better), and a big part of that is color fidelity, gamut, and brilliance. IPS trumps TN for that. Could I drop $450 on a few decent TN monitors tomorrow? Yes. But then, I'd just be looking to replace them as soon as I saved up to drop $1200 on IPS. So I'll just save up to drop the money on the good stuff in the first place.

The other advantage to IPS monitors? They won't look like crap if I decide to put them in a portrait-orientation multi-monitor setup. You know, as would be the smart decision if the devs agree with me on whether or not enabling large FOV is a smart move for the game's overall health.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

It's very simple. I don't put lifestyle expenses on credit. Also, I enjoy image quality (it's why I look to push resolution -- it looks better), and a big part of that is color fidelity, gamut, and brilliance. IPS trumps TN for that. Could I drop $450 on a few decent TN monitors tomorrow? Yes. But then, I'd just be looking to replace them as soon as I saved up to drop $1200 on IPS. So I'll just save up to drop the money on the good stuff in the first place.

The other advantage to IPS monitors? They won't look like crap if I decide to put them in a portrait-orientation multi-monitor setup. You know, as would be the smart decision if the devs agree with me on whether or not enabling large FOV is a smart move for the game's overall health.
oh I know the benefit of ips monitors I have some myself. bought them about a year ago. Im all for people using them, but I wouldnt choose to not use one because other people cannot afford to buy them. I also didnt feel bad when I was one of hte first people I knew to pick up a widescreen lcd even though others told me that it was an unfair advantage and many games at the time didnt support widescreen resolutions. The trick is for devs and gamers to get with the times and not drag everyone down to the lowest common denominators level in an effort to force "fairness". Imagine if gamer developers never embraced widescreen... I can pull up old forums from years ago where people had heated debates over it.

at the end of the day it makes for a more immersive gameplay experience which is what I am after. Why punish those with money now (and not this fall) who are willing to spend it on tech that is not only supported by the 2 major gpu manufacturers today but touted by both as a selling point?
Old 2012-06-10, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CeCeMyPlaymate
Private

People who think everyone should be forced into using the same or similar hardware should hop over to Xbox Live or PSN for their fps fix.

Computer gaming has forever been a technological arms race. Does not appear to be changing in the near future either.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CeCeMyPlaymate View Post

Computer gaming has forever been a technological arms race. Does not appear to be changing in the near future either.
this.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ratfusion
Corporal

Planetside 1 worked perfectly with my NVsurround setup. Every major MMO supports customizable huds and multi-monitor.

On top of that, their model game they want to steal customers from, BF3, is an example of excellent multi-monitor support.

I'll be shocked and really disappointed if this game does not work perfectly with multimonitor.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Novacane
Private

Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
Planetside 1 worked perfectly with my NVsurround setup. Every major MMO supports customizable huds and multi-monitor.

On top of that, their model game they want to steal customers from, BF3, is an example of excellent multi-monitor support.

I'll be shocked and really disappointed if this game does not work perfectly with multimonitor.
Yeah, to my knowledge, you don't have to do anything special for multi-monitor (other than have the right hardware) and for that matter 3D if you had the correct monitors. I still don't see how this would ever give anyone an advantage, its just cool tech. Call me old school but I personally can't stand 3d in its current form and usually stick to one monitor for gameplay and the others for VoIP, music, browser, tools, etc.. I like to play in maximized windowed mode so even if there was built-in support for multi-monitor, like for say, a continent map or stats or something, I probably wouldn't use it unless it was extremely useful. We have the iPad app for that anyway
Old 2012-06-11, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Daimond
Private

The cost to run an ATI setup just for the cards is about half the cost, even more if you are looking for just running it with 1 card, like ATI. Otherwise you need 2 cards for NVidia unless you dish out like 1k for their new card

I do hope though that the game supports 2+ cards though, as not many games do right now. and it’s a cheaper way to get a little more out of some old cards for some, that just can’t afford upgrading to a newer one. Not to mention uses 86 and 64 OSes, I can’t stand games now a days that are PC only and release with 32bit, waste of computer hard ware, since 32 bit only uses less than 4 gig of ram.

Just as said before though, just like in the beginning people made a stink about us guys running widescreen over others. Then a few years later it was standard. It will be the same thing with this, all games are going this rout. To no put this in to a game now a days and trying to add it later is just asking for trouble when this thing goes live.

But people that always debate the advantage over others not running 3 monitors, have never played on a setup like that. You don’t even really pay much attention to the other monitors, unless you’re not in battle. 80% the time if you do catch something out of the corner of your eye you may have enough time to see the projectile in its full glory kill you lol.
There was nothing like flying through the trees on PS1 seeing them wipe past the sides of the reaver to immerses you in the moment.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I was a little butthurt yesterday and may have over reacted on this.. :P All I wanted to say was that.. I think in a competetive game like this, unfair advatadges should be avioded if possible.. these "luxury items" are best suited in tech demo games in single player mode.

However I must admit it would be kind of lame if they didn't took the game to it's full potential. Doesn't mean I for it, mind you. Just that... meh, ok. ;P
I think ratfusion made a couple very good points with regards to his mentioning BF3 supporting multi monitor setups (and it appears to be doing quite well for itself) and pretty much every big name MMO on the market today.

while the combat in a mmorpg is clearly a bit of a different beast than what we are facing here in Planetside2 there is still an advantage to be gained from the extra screen real estate and MMORPGs with robust pvp elements havent seemed to suffer from some users making use of available tech from what Ive been able to tell.

for myself I see some of the communities resistance to multi monitor setups and I cant help but to look into the past (been gaming online since 98) and see all the similarities when people were opposed to widescreen monitors, multi button mice with macros, positional audio, the list goes on and on. As has been said previously in this thread if people are looking for a completely even playing field then head over to the console side of the fence. We could avoid the unfair advantage of one person having a 7.1 surround headset and next guy playing with laptop speakers by forcing the game to use stereo sound, but why lessen the game because some people dont want to shell out the money for the surround sound setup?
Old 2012-06-12, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
malice189
Private

at the end of the day it makes for a more immersive gameplay experience which is what I am after. Why punish those with money now (and not this fall) who are willing to spend it on tech that is not only supported by the 2 major gpu manufacturers today but touted by both as a selling point?
Being able to see behind you = immersive?
There's no extra eye holes in the backs of their helmets
Old 2012-06-12, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by malice189 View Post
Being able to see behind you = immersive?
There's no extra eye holes in the backs of their helmets
you cannot see behind you with eyefinty. Clear you either dont know what youre talking about or are over exagerating because you realize you have to do so to make a stronger argument than what you can with the actual facts.

Eyefinity and Surround vision if anything mimic a more natural fov for what people see in real life. If people are all for not having more realism in their games thats great, but what lulz they generate for the rest of us when they complain about those of use who strive for a more realistic feeling gaming experience.

I would like to see a devs official statement saying they will or will not support the setups, but based on the ama link Tricky provided I feel a bit better about its possible inclusion.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I would like to see a devs official statement saying they will or will not support the setups, but based on the ama link Tricky provided I feel a bit better about its possible inclusion.
Read your Original Post again. Higby has said that they'll allow adjustable FOV up to 90 degrees, according to your original post.

He's also said that Eyefinity and Surround setups are on their QA testing list.

Take those two statements together, and you've got the official dev word on this subject.

But that's not what you really are saying in this quote, is it?

What you really want is for an official dev statement declaring they'll support 140 degree FOVs or whatever your preferred number happens to be. At least be honest and say so, instead of pretending that supporting multi-monitor setups MUST mean that you also support super-wide FOVs. They're not intrinsically linked, because portrait-mode multi-monitor setups are perfectly valid options, as well.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Read your Original Post again. Higby has said that they'll allow adjustable FOV up to 90 degrees, according to your original post.

He's also said that Eyefinity and Surround setups are on their QA testing list.

Take those two statements together, and you've got the official dev word on this subject.

But that's not what you really are saying in this quote, is it?

What you really want is for an official dev statement declaring they'll support 140 degree FOVs or whatever your preferred number happens to be. At least be honest and say so, instead of pretending that supporting multi-monitor setups MUST mean that you also support super-wide FOVs. They're not intrinsically linked, because portrait-mode multi-monitor setups are perfectly valid options, as well.
newsflash! portrait mode isnt the answer. I have used it before, it puts the monitors bezels right where you are looking. If you want to string 3 to 6 monitors together in portrait mode I dont mind you doing it, but I will not be doing so.

Im not trying to hide anything... I have said from the start that a wider fov which I am looking for (as a 90 fov with that resolution is just stretched across the screen) is an advantage over other players who do not have it. Just as having a 7.1 headset is a an advantage over people who only want to spring for a 20$ stereo headset. Just as having a 2560x1600 monitor is a huge advantage over someone rocking a 1280x1024 monitor. Ive not once tried to say that having the wide fov is not an advantage I just said the people who are most opposed to it are the ones who cant afford it such as yourself (by your own admission youve said you are hoping to get some in the fall when you can afford to do so).

you asked the question in a previous post "How many soldiers do you know that fight with horse blinders on?" the answer to that question is Everyone who chooses not to run a multi monitor setup. If you have a eyefinity/surround vision setup and play a game with it for a couple minutes then turn off the outer 2 screens you see the blinder effect. Ive used that as a way to sell builds for people with multiple monitors included and it works almost everytime. the times it doesnt work is when the person cannot afford to upgrade or would rather spend their money elsewhere. I can buy a headset with mic for 20$ if I want to get a decent set with surround sound Im looking at paying 4 times that amount roughly. its almost same for the monitors and eyefinity yet you act as if though it allows people to see through walls or auto aim on peoples heads. an advantage? of course. an unfair advantage? no more so than positional audio is.

also higbys comment about the 90 fov came before the gdc (if I remember correctly) and the reddit ama happend some time afterwards (thanks again for the link Tricky). PS2 is still in the development stage you realize? things are being flushed out and worked on now. the fact that he said its on the list of things to test for compatibility gives me hope it will be included, at the proper fov. if that makes you sad or you think Im looking for an "unfair advantage" im ok with that. Just as long as youre ok with me knowing youre real problem with it is that you just dont have this kind of setup.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

the cost is cheap if you want to run multi monitor with ATI,not so cheap though if you want to run NVIDIA
Old 2012-06-11, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Roidster View Post
the cost is cheap if you want to run multi monitor with ATI,not so cheap though if you want to run NVIDIA
I was just trying to illustrate the point that you can do it for well under 1k. with regards to pc gaming thats actually relatively cheap as I can recall paying 800$ for a 20" 1600x1200 monitor not too many years ago.

for what its worth though, you could take 2 gtx 460s (I can find them for 110$ brand new online atm) and throw some monitors together and be running at playable frame rates for under 600$. you wont be running high levels of aa or turning on all the bells and whistles but like most things in life you get what you pay for.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion