Trees and Aircraft. a deadly combo - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Strippers wanted. Apply on the Hot Girls thread.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-19, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DarkDragon00
Sergeant Major

Terran Elite Airborne Regiment

Trees are fun, amma be one of the pilots who will use the trees, i might die a couple of times but the experience could get in valuable.

Dark- Go for the trees and i'll still go for the kills

The only true thug left, i merc ni**as cuz they all seem like skirts, while i flirt, with danger ur at home, living comfortably, in the beggining couldnt afford a computer, but now im living like im a millionair, buyin' things, that u only have in ur dreams, maybe its cuz i made it out alive, im outy alright, and this is for u, the real PSU, i still love u, but what happened, u guys got a bunch of asses, in ur ranks, now ur forums are full of Sh*t

Last edited by DarkDragon00; 2003-02-19 at 05:44 PM.
Old 2003-02-19, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Deviant78
Private

approximately how tall are the trees as a rule? Reavers must be a good ten feet high?
Old 2003-02-19, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Deviant78
Private

As for the boating system, what exactly is this system. I can't stand the bf1942 piloting sytem. Well it is fine except for that you can't lock the throttle speed, forever holding and releasing accellerate is a severe pain and distraction from combat. I believe that the system for flying is closer to halo is it not? You can strafe in a reaver? Is it vto? Vertical hovering ability like a chopper? How are the controls precisely?

I bet there is a thread on this
Old 2003-02-19, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

deviant heh, bf1942 is much better with joystick. those that drive the planes with keyboard and mouse is so funny, they get pwned verrrry badly. crappy cheap joystick would have been a good start.
Old 2003-02-19, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Yuyi
Roxxor your Boxxorz

Originally posted by Tobias
I bet Dio wants to fly his skeeter in eMa's forest...

Old 2003-02-19, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Tobias
I bet Dio wants to fly his skeeter in eMa's forest...

After all the pics i saw i'd have to admit it would be an interesting flight.

Squeek would be first in line though as eMa's primo online stalker.
Old 2003-02-19, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

It's a good thing these are being posted in the forum that ema never comes to.
Old 2003-02-20, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Deviant78
I can't stand the bf1942 piloting sytem. Well it is fine except for that you can't lock the throttle speed, forever holding and releasing accellerate is a severe pain and distraction from combat.
You can lock the speed if you have a joypad or joystick with a throttle / hat. It is odd that they havn't done anything for the keyboard+mouse users, but it's still better than the PS system where they only favor the keyboard+mouse users by simplifying (boating) everything so there'll be no point in using a anything but mouse+keyboard - so much for the "this is is a player-skill game", LOL.
Old 2003-02-20, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Deviant78
Private

I still don't understand, how exactly are the controls for piloting laid out?
Old 2003-02-20, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Madprofessor9
Corporal

I believe its a little of both vtol and horizontal flight many screen shots sort of give you a ideal on flight so tree manuvering would be a little easier in vtol mode then jetting through in horizontal flight. I get this information on fly from a screen shot I seen of hamma shooting at a quad which could only be done in a vtol hover mode looks like hes sorta strafing the mosquito to the left while keeping his gun on the target. And in a few other screens partically on the the close up frontal shots of the Mosquito you see wing tip vortexs comming off the outter leaning edges of the stablizers which would indicate more of a horizontal jetting type flight pattern

as for pilots not having skill thats a big misconception in it self
a pilot has alot to worry about. If he is to high he has to worry about AA vehicals and weapons if he gets to low he has to worry about ground fire and obstacles like trees so flying in it self will be a challenge. Now taking all that knowlege and putting it together with skill you can have a deadly squad of reavers and skeeters positioning them selves behind hills and obstacles for ambush attacks/recon/ or firesuppression roles. I pilot has enemies everywhere wither its a aa missle or guns or a ground fire or the ground itself so a pilot has alot to worry about as well as combat

so Kiwi I agree with ya
Old 2003-02-20, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

madp, i think the easy way to say how the planes will be, i can compare to 2 things.

1- harrier.
2- tribes2's FM.

so far the way the planes fly seems to be exacly like a harrier, the way you control it seems to be looking like tribes2. Well there seems to be a lot of ressemblance. Of course im taking all this info from screenshots and dev chats, will see if its actually like that on release but it wouldnt surprise me if it is.

In tribes2 to go up you had to hit the afterburner key, by default it boosts you up if your not thrusting forward or backwards. while thrusting forward, it boosts your forward speed and no longer the vertical one. Also if you wanted to strafe or hold still you just simply needed to release your forward key so you would come to a stop and the plane would hover at its position slowly losing altitude (so you needed to hit the booster once in a while to keep your altitude). To strafe, you would simply hit ur usual fps strafing keys, it would be pretty much that for evry other control.

user friendly stuff...
Old 2003-02-20, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

i can see it now, a poor shmuck of a squad in infiltrator suits are sneaking through the forest at night and then WHOOOOSH! all are splattered across the nose of a skeeter joyriding through the woods.

Last edited by Deadlock; 2003-02-20 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2003-02-20, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Daedalus
Sergeant

Sure,that sounds fun,but from the screenshots,all the forests i've seen are dense , thus making flight through them impossible.
But there may be some rare forests..who knows...
Old 2003-02-20, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Madprofessor9
as for pilots not having skill thats a big misconception in it self
a pilot has alot to worry about. If he is to high he has to worry about AA vehicals and weapons if he gets to low he has to worry about ground fire and obstacles like trees so flying in it self will be a challenge. Now taking all that knowlege and putting it together with skill you can have a deadly squad of reavers and skeeters positioning them selves behind hills and obstacles for ambush attacks/recon/ or firesuppression roles. I pilot has enemies everywhere wither its a aa missle or guns or a ground fire or the ground itself so a pilot has alot to worry about as well as combat
Well a pilot flying a convetionel plane would have to watch out for the same, anyway I don't see keeping the right altitude as a "1337" skill... So the system is still simpler (read: easier) than something like BF1942. So they wont be as much room to stand out of the crowd, I'm not not saying there wont be any room, just not as much as in a BF1942 system...
Old 2003-02-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Metallik
Private

Originally posted by Lillemanden
Well if it is boating like T2 I would still call it too simple, and the we will see about skills when the game's out.
Could Someone please explain to me what boating is???

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion